Drugs Case Brit Released

Prakanong

Drug Charges Brit Released In Thailand

Updated: 08:10, Tuesday September 04, 2007

<H2>The mother of a British man who has been freed from a Thai jail after spending four years behind bars on drugs charges has told of her joy at his acquittal.

Lorna Aggett said her family were jumping up and down with excitement after hearing news of her son Jody's release.

</H2>1581215.jpg Mr Aggett, 28, was originally sentenced to death after being found guilty of being part of a plot to manufacture ecstasy.

That sentence was commuted to life in prison in 2003, but Mrs Aggett and her husband Tony, from Swindon, Wiltshire, always insisted their son was innocent.

They say he was forced to sign a false confession and have spent the last four years campaigning for his release.

The decision came after Mr Aggett lodged an appeal against the conviction with the Thai supreme court.He claimed the trial was unfair and that there was insufficient evidence.

The family's campaign was supported by Fair Trials Abroad and the British Government.

Speaking Live on Sky News Mrs Aggett thanked the efforts of the British embassy in Bangkok, saying their support had been "fantastic".

It is not yet known when Mr Aggett will return to the UK. He has a four-year-old son called Ryan who visited him in jail last May.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the fta website.

Jody Ryan Aggett, a British citizen, went to Thailand in 2001 to visit his Thai girlfriend, whom he had known for 4 years. He planned to take her back home to England, but owing to her pregnancy they decided to delay their travel plans. The couple was running low on cash and the offer of the Dutch/Canadian boyfriend, Adrian van Ommering, of a Thai friend of theirs, to stay for free in the first floor of a house in return for some cleaning work and the responsibility of opening and closing the travel agency on the ground floor, was greatly appreciated. Jody and his girlfriend had no idea that ecstasy was produced on a large scale on the premises.

On the 20th of November 2001 the police raided the house and discovered the drugs. Jody and some employees of the travel agency were arrested, but only Jody and his partner were kept in custody. Their child was born behind bars and is now living with Jody’s parents in the UK. The police intelligence was based upon the testimony of a police informer, who spoke in detail about Adrian and his Thai girlfriend, but never once mentioned any involvement of Jody and his partner.

Some 17 months later, Jody and Adrian and their girlfriends were brought to trial. The police informer did not attend the trial, apparently he had run away. The employees of the travel agency gave evidence that Jody had been waiting for a Visa for his girlfriend to take her to the UK and that he had hardly any money and no assets. In contrast, it was evident that Adrian had large amounts of money at his disposal, he owned cars, houses and expensive Rolex watches. When Jody’s defence lawyer asked the arresting officer why he had taken his client into custody, the officer replied “because he was in the house”. When challenged as to why the employees of the travel agency, who also lived on the premises, were not equally kept on remand, the policeman had no answer. Adrian’s girlfriend tried to put all blame on Jody and his partner. It seems that neither the prosecution nor the judge showed any interest in Jody’s account of events, almost as if they already had made up their minds beforehand. Jody was only questioned about his passport and his visa and not about the drugs at all.

All four were sentenced to death plus 20 years, which was later commuted to life imprisonment.

Main Grounds of concern regarding fair trial procedures:

• The judgment lacks reasoning. Whereas the conviction is based on the information of the police informer, his reports do not mention either Jody or his girlfriend as participants in the drugs production scheme. Neither was any evidence linking Jody to the crime presented to the court.

• During his initial police interview Jody was not allowed access to legal representation.

• No interpreter was present and nothing was translated into English. Thus Jody was faced with a bewildering situation, and was effectively prevented from stating his case.

• Jody was forced to sign a confession, a pre-drafted text in the Thai language, which he did not understand. Whilst the court may not have relied on this document it was, nevertheless, on file.

• At the trial the interpretation was insufficient. The interpreter only spoke when prompted by Jody for each and every sentence, thus comprehension was, at best, uneven.

It should be noted that, at the time of the judgment, judges were under a lot of political pressure as the Thai Prime Minister had announced that Thailand would be drugs free within 4 months. Judges were obliged to give harsh verdicts in drugs cases in order not to jeopardise their careers. Jody’s lawyer has appealed on the grounds that there is no evidence which links Jody to the ecstasy production scheme and that he had no assets and no money, thus that there was no reason to believe that he benefited from any proceeds of the illegal drugs trade. It is not known yet, when the appeal will take place.

In a recent development Adrian’s Thai girlfriend has written a statement in her prison cell, retracting her claim during the trial and to confess that Jody and his partner had no involvement whatsoever. This document is now in the hands of the lawyer, but it is apparently too late to be introduced into the appeal procedures. It will be possible to use it though, if it becomes necessary to take the case to the Supreme Court. However this is a slow process. Jody’s family is comforted by the excellent support given to their son by the British Embassy in Bangkok.

This is what you can do to support Jody Ryan Aggett:

Write to Jody, your letters will give him the moral support he desperately needs in these months of further agonising wait, knowing that his partner is also suffering in prison and being separated from their young son. (Bangwang C.P. Nonthaburi Road, Nontaburi, Bangkok Thailand 11000)

What a nightmare scenario - to be in a Thai prison for drugs when you are innocent.

Now i am pretty cynical and beleive all those like Fellow's etc are as guilty as h3ll and should stop whinging as they knew the risks and rewards associated with theiractions.

However this guy it seems was innocent all along.

Does anyone know if his girlfriend is released as well?

Edited by Prakanong

Scary stuff.

Wonder if he's 28 now or then.

Also the 4 years in prison looks like 6 years but how come the son is 4. I guess they were out on bail.

If I remember correctly she was preggers at the time of arrest.

I must admit though I did not think it was almost 6 years ago when I first read about the xase - how time flies (but I bet it did not for him poor bugger)

Scary stuff.

Also the 4 years in prison looks like 6 years but how come the son is 4. I guess they were out on bail.

I must admit though I did not think it was almost 6 years ago when I first read about the xase - how time flies (but I bet it did not for him poor bugger)

Police raided flat on 20 Nov 2001. From another website, his girlfriend was 8 months pregnant and her child was born in prison. Sounds to me like they did nearer 6 years. Still, another Thai news story with mixed-up dates is no surprise.

There, but for the grace of God, go us all.

Scary stuff.

Police raided flat on 20 Nov 2001. From another website, his girlfriend was 8 months pregnant and her child was born in prison. Sounds to me like they did nearer 6 years. Still, another Thai news story with mixed-up dates is no surprise.

And as I said - is she out I wonder - bloody hope so!

If there was a Thread on this before, he would probably have been hung drawn and quartered by the Thai Visa crowd as soon as he was arrested.

And as it appears now, the evidence was very poor indeed, in fact the guy may have actually been innocent!

Anyway, good luck to him.

If there was a Thread on this before, he would probably have been hung drawn and quartered by the Thai Visa crowd as soon as he was arrested.

And as it appears now, the evidence was very poor indeed, in fact the guy may have actually been innocent!

Exactly - I looked for a thread but could not find one

However - they hung drawn and quartered brigade would still argue for his guilt and say he must have known about it living in the ame premises and thus deserved to die or that his death was unfortunate collateral damage in the drugs war!

An object lesson unlikely to impinge too much on the collective consciousness of the hang 'em high brigade since they are rarely receptive to any understanding likely to shift them from the high moral ground built upon their ignorance and self righteous indignation.

Scary stuff.

Just reported on BBC Radio News. Briton Jody Aggett released from Thai prison after nearly 6 years.

On the FPSS website it says his girlfriend has also been released.

Edited by Briggsy

Scary stuff.

Just reported on BBC Radio News. Briton Jody Aggett released from Thai prison after nearly 6 years.

On the FFPS website it says his girlfriend has also been released.

I just hope she has no problems getting a visa to the UK if they are still together as her kid is there now with his parents.

Sure, nevermind though some of the crowd here will still try and justify their past and comments and opinion on why this kind of Farang deserved what he got:

1) He should have known better not to accept free accommodation. Complete down-and-out cheapskate!

2) He should have known better that there must have been drugs being produced in the house, if not - then he was so stupid that he deserved 6 years.

Now this story says a lot for the guys at TV who jump at the chance lambasting any foreigner who has been caught for drugs. Some people ought to be throughly ashamed for jumping to conclusions.

In fact it is some of those lambasters who often post comments simultaneously criticing the Thai law system along the lines of 'Darned Thai traffic police, scammed me 200 baht for having no licence today they need to be seriously developed. You got it - hypocrisy.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Scary stuff.

On the FFPS website it says his girlfriend has also been released.

I just hope she has no problems getting a visa to the UK if they are still together as her kid is there now with his parents.

lets hope they can put this behind them and start a new life ..........

Loosing 6 years of your life and missing the formative years of your child is a pretty harsh result for an innocent couple. Just adds more conviction to my theory that capital punishment is dangerous and barbaric. Just imagine if the state had murdered them, bloody hard giving a dead man a reprive.

Loosing 6 years of your life and missing the formative years of your child is a pretty harsh result for an innocent couple. Just adds more conviction to my theory that capital punishment is dangerous and barbaric. Just imagine if the state had murdered them, bloody hard giving a dead man a reprive.

That is exactly my objection to capital punishment - keep them locked up for life in harsh conditions if we must but while there is a chance of an innocent man dying i do not want that to be part of my country where I have the vote.

from the fta website.

All four were sentenced to death plus 20 years, which was later commuted to life imprisonment.

Main Grounds of concern regarding fair trial procedures:

The judgment lacks reasoning. Whereas the conviction is based on the information of the police informer, his reports do not mention either Jody or his girlfriend as participants in the drugs production scheme. Neither was any evidence linking Jody to the crime presented to the court.

• During his initial police interview Jody was not allowed access to legal representation.

• No interpreter was present and nothing was translated into English. Thus Jody was faced with a bewildering situation, and was effectively prevented from stating his case.

• Jody was forced to sign a confession, a pre-drafted text in the Thai language, which he did not understand. Whilst the court may not have relied on this document it was, nevertheless, on file.

• At the trial the interpretation was insufficient. The interpreter only spoke when prompted by Jody for each and every sentence, thus comprehension was, at best, uneven.

A recurring theme. What is not learned cannot be practiced.

Compensation?

don't make me laugh. :o

there is no such thing called compensation in los!!

you're on your own. that's the truth..sorry!! :D

thanks god that he's out and hope he can start a new life..

put everything behind him!!

Let's hope so, but I still can't beleive he was totally oblivious to what was going on considering his circumstances at the time....but before anybody jumps on me, i'm glad he's out to start his life again

Briton freed from Thai prison after court overturns drug conviction

· Father served six years for crime he did not commit

· Death sentence had been commuted to life in jail

Sam Jones

Wednesday September 5, 2007

The Guardian

A British man who has spent six years in a Thai prison after being wrongly convicted of manufacturing ecstasy has been released and could be home within the next week, it emerged yesterday.

Jody Aggett, 30, was arrested along with his pregnant Thai girlfriend, Ramphia Lo, in 2001, and charged with manufacturing and possessing narcotics.

He had met Ms Lo while backpacking and had been intending to bring her back to the UK before she gave birth. But by the time they arrived in Bangkok, she was eight months pregnant and could not travel, so they stayed rent-free in a flat above a travel agency in return for opening and closing the shop each day.

They did not know that the agency's owner - a dual Canadian and Dutch citizen known as Adrian - had been using the building to make ecstasy. The couple were arrested alongside Adrian and his Thai girlfriend when police raided the building in November 2001.

After being ordered to sign what Mr Aggett's family say amounted to a false confession - which had not been translated from Thai - Mr Aggett was found guilty of being part of the plot. He and Ms Lo were sentenced to death, although the sentence was commuted to life imprisonment in 2003. Their son, Ryan, was born behind bars, but now lives with Mr Aggett's parents, Lorna and Tony, in Swindon.

Mr Aggett lodged an appeal against the conviction with the Thai supreme court, claiming an unfair trial and insufficient evidence. But political upheavals in the country, including a military coup last year, delayed his hearing.

Yesterday, the British embassy in Bangkok confirmed that Mr Aggett had been acquitted after an appeal to the supreme court.

Catherine Wolthuizen, the chief executive of Fair Trials Abroad, which campaigned for Mr Aggett's release, said prison had begun to take its toll on him. "He was finding it difficult, especially the last year because of the delays in the case coming to court and things being thrown into turmoil by the political situation in Thailand," she said. "The appeal had been set for last September but it was put off indefinitely, which made him feel quite despondent.

"Physically, he's generally been in reasonably good health, although Thai prison conditions are hard."

She said that although Mr Aggett had been sentenced despite there being "absolutely no evidence" against him, his supporters never doubted that he would be freed.

"The only evidence was from an unnamed police source so it was always our belief that he would be acquitted on appeal," she said.

Ms Wolthuizen said Mr Aggett's parents and Ryan, who is now five, were "ecstatic" at the news, adding: "They've already started planning the party to celebrate him coming home."

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said Mr Aggett had been freed from jail but was still in custody awaiting full release. She added that Ms Lo had also been freed.

"The supreme court did not uphold the criminal and appeal court's life sentence and that is the reason for his release," she said. "We have provided consular assistance the whole time and we are very pleased that he has been released."

Yesterday, the British embassy in Bangkok confirmed that Mr Aggett had been acquitted after an appeal to the supreme court.
"We have provided consular assistance the whole time and we are very pleased that he has been released."
After being ordered to sign what Mr Aggett's family say amounted to a false confession - which had not been translated from Thai

given the frequency with which we read about the signing of false confessions , i would be interested to know what the british (and other) embassies advice and assistance is regarding the signing of untranslated documents. do the embassies provide any legal help ?

i know that the embassies cannot get involved too much in these things and that a lot of what they do is behind the scenes , but what advice do they give to those who are arrested here ?

anybody have any experience ???