Foreigner Giving Birth In Thailand

keehtkat

hi i'm a new member here and would like to ask questions about my situation. I'm a non-immigrant O visa holder here in Thailand.I'm pregnant and about to give birth on December.

1. If I give birth here, is my child going to be a Thai citizen or he/she will have the same nationality as mine?

I am engaged and not yet married.My fiancee is not here with me he's in another country.

2. Can I use the surname of my child's father? Am I going to have problems with these matters?

I'm sorry if I have so many questions.Please help me out.thanks a lot

The child will not be a thai citizen unless one of the parents is also a Thai citizen or a permanent resident of thailand.

As for aquiring your citizenship as well as the fathers, it will depend on the nationality of the parents. It would be helpful if you outlined the nationalities of both you and your partner, so we can give you a better answer.

thank you so much for answering some of my queries.my fiancee and I are both Filipinos.I'm having problems of what surname I will use if my baby comes out.Can I use my surname or my fiancee"s surname for the baby?thank you once again and i hope you can help me out with this.

You can use either surnames. I haven't known of any restrictions of surnames to use.

The hospital will need to see you and your husband's passports to register the child's birth into a Thai birth certificate. I think copies (of passports) will suffice.

There is also a house registration paper to submit for the child's Tabien Baan.

The procedures are straightforward enough if doing the registration while you are still in the hospital.

There is also a house registration paper to submit for the child's Tabien Baan.

Given that the child won't be eligible for Thai nationality, there will not be any Tabien Baan (house registration) for the child to go on. Only Thai nationals and PR's can get on a proper Blue book Tabieen Baan.

hi i'm a new member here and would like to ask questions about my situation. I'm a non-immigrant O visa holder here in Thailand.I'm pregnant and about to give birth on December.

1. If I give birth here, is my child going to be a Thai citizen or he/she will have the same nationality as mine?

I am engaged and not yet married.My fiancee is not here with me he's in another cuntry.

2. Can I use the surname of my child's father? Am I going to have problems with these matters?

Surprised you haven't had any replies yet. I think you need to let everyone know your nationalities, as that may have a bearing on the matter. From how I understand things your child would not have Thai citizenship, you could probably register as national of either/both parents' countries, at the appropriate embassy in Thailand, but if you're not yet married and father is out of country it may be that this isn't so straightforward.

I suggest that you relate a few more details and someone here will know the legalities ... Lopburi springs to mind, fount of knowledge on many things :-)

I am engaged and not yet married.My fiancee is not here with me he's in another cuntry.

Surprised you haven't had any replies yet. I think you need to let everyone know your nationalities, as that may have a bearing on the matter. From how I understand things your child would not have Thai citizenship, you could probably register as national of either/both parents' countries, at the appropriate embassy in Thailand, but if you're not yet married and father is out of country it may be that this isn't so straightforward.

I suggest that you relate a few more details and someone here will know the legalities ... Lopburi springs to mind, fount of knowledge on many things :-)

... Ting Tong Farang ... just saw the replies below your post ... used to seeing them as full messages in text rather than just a single line outline, not sure why that is now appearing as my default setting, so apologies!

thank you so much for all your replies. My fiancee and I are both Filipinos but we're not yet married.we're just engaged. Is it possible to use my fiancee's surname for our baby when I give birth to our child? Am I not going to have any problems if I get our baby a passport here while using his father's surname? thank you so much.

• 3 weeks later...

:oPLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ONE.ANYONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THESE MATTERS...

I am pregnant and about to give birth on December.I'm a non-immigrant O visa holder. I'm not yet married with my fiancee.My fiancee and I are both Filipinos but we are not together at this moment. He is in the Philippines.

1. Is it possible that I can use my fiancee's surname for our baby instead of mine?

2. Will it not be a big problem if ever I will get my baby a Philippine passport here using his father's surname?

3. What will be the nationality of my baby?

I really need to know the legalities here about giving birth and the registration. Please, i'm begging all of those who are knowledgeable about these matters to help me and those who can give me advice of what's the best thing to do.i know i'm asking for too much but i really would appreciate it a lot if you can help me out. thank you so much. have a nice day.

I personally would be looking at the surname of the baby in a different light. At this moment you are 3 months away from bringing a new baby into the world, BUT you are not married and with all the best wishes in the world you never know if things will change and you and the baby could end up in this big world alone.

I would think that it would be a better option to use your name for the birth registration and travel documents. When you marry you can then change to which ever name you feel necessary. good luck

The babies nationality will be Filipino as both you and the father are of that nationality, the place of birth has no bearing on the issue

Edited by nonthaburial

why dont u check with your embassy; also,

1.if philipines have rules for single mothers and children out of wedlock sort of thing (some countries do)...

2.if u are planning to change your surname after marriage or are required to?

3. then u will have to change baby's surname also, and some countries make a big deal out of that, as u will have to prove that the man u are marrying is the father of your baby or he will have to adopt

best check with lawyers and your embassy

:oPLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ONE.ANYONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT THESE MATTERS...

I am pregnant and about to give birth on December.I'm a non-immigrant O visa holder. I'm not yet married with my fiancee.My fiancee and I are both Filipinos but we are not together at this moment. He is in the Philippines.

1. Is it possible that I can use my fiancee's surname for our baby instead of mine?

2. Will it not be a big problem if ever I will get my baby a Philippine passport here using his father's surname?

3. What will be the nationality of my baby?

I really need to know the legalities here about giving birth and the registration. Please, i'm begging all of those who are knowledgeable about these matters to help me and those who can give me advice of what's the best thing to do.i know i'm asking for too much but i really would appreciate it a lot if you can help me out. thank you so much. have a nice day.

For 1/ and 2/ These are all really questions that only a Filipino or someone who knows a lot about the Philippines can answer. The answers vary from country to country depending on where you are from. Best bet is the Philipinne embassy as mentioned. for 3/ your baby will be Filipino.

For someone from the UK for example, it is very difficult to get a passport in the father's name, from a UK embassy overseas, unless you are married.

• 10 years later...

Hello I'd like to ask you some help. I'm a filipina and my boyfriend is Danish we're planning to give birth in thailand I'm 3 months pregnant now..how to give birth there, how much how about the birth certificate I we need a passport too for our newborn baby to go back in philippines? I hope you all guys can help me I'm sorry I have so many questions but I'm so confused of everything thank you so much 

The birth must be registered at the local amphur. The birth certificate will be in Thai only, so do prepare a translation of both your names (copy of work permit will do nicely) and the name of the child.

You also might want to register the birth with your or both your embassies.

To leave the country the child will need a passport. You would also need to show the birth certificate, that will explain why the child has no entry record into Thailand. 

• Thanks 1