Hi-fi/stereo Repair In Pattaya Area?

SteveMorrissey

Hello - I'm looking for a repair shop in Pattaya which could be trusted to fix an amplifier which has a channel which has mysteriously stopped working since I moved to Thailand. It's a ShengYa amplifier (same manufacturer as Vincent), and they don't have a service center or dealer in Thailand, and I'm trying to avoid sending the amp back to China for service. It's a good amplifier, and I'd prefer to have someone credible take a look at it, rather than take my chances with a random repair shop.

Any suggestions for a good hi-fi repair shop in Pattaya or the surrounding area, or even Bangkok, would be much appreciated. Thank you.

You're problem sounds all too common! It's most likely because of corroded contacts.

I bring my old Denon amp regularly to a shop in Soi Siam Country Club...about 1 or 2 km in the soi from Sukhumvit. A shop house on the left side with plenty of washing machines, TVs etc. in front of it. Doesn't look trustworthy at all, but they did a good job at a couple of 100 Baht.

You're problem sounds all too common! It's most likely because of corroded contacts.

I bring my old Denon amp regularly to a shop in Soi Siam Country Club...about 1 or 2 km in the soi from Sukhumvit. A shop house on the left side with plenty of washing machines, TVs etc. in front of it. Doesn't look trustworthy at all, but they did a good job at a couple of 100 Baht.

Thanks for the advice Raro. I'm guessing that it must be something corrosion related too, as it was in storage for a bit while it made its way here to Pattaya, and everything was hot and kind of damp when it was unpacked here in Pattaya.

I will check out the shop you mentioned. Thanks again.

Steve

if your ever in bangkok i can look at it for you, more than likely it is a defective transistor(s)

or one of the op-amps.

the output section of most amps have trasistors that work in parrallel, meaning that there could be 1 or more on the positive side and 1 or more on the negative side.

if 1 is bad per polarity , all the transistors must be changed for the given polarity or will not be stable.

no need to send it to china, a transistor cost about 25 baht.

the transistors are usually matching pairs one for negative side(speaker goes in)

and

a transistor for the positive side (speaker goes out)

both tied into ground .

if it is an opamp that has gone bad, this will have the greatest effect on sound quality...and a replacement should be matched to the original.

or it may just be a bad rca cable

• 7 months later...

In case anyone reads my earlier post - I was able to find a place in Pattaya to repair the amplifier. In the basement of the TukCom building on Pattaya Tai, there is a large electronics repair shop named Amorn (spelling may be wrong). They fixed the broken channel, and it worked for about 6 months, and broke again, and then they fixed it again. Not sure if they did not fix it correctly the first time, or if there will always be a reoccuring problem.

This shop would be worth a try if you have something to repair - they seemed to repair all types of electronics and were fairly professional.

if your ever in bangkok i can look at it for you, more than likely it is a defective transistor(s)

or one of the op-amps.

the output section of most amps have trasistors that work in parrallel, meaning that there could be 1 or more on the positive side and 1 or more on the negative side.

if 1 is bad per polarity , all the transistors must be changed for the given polarity or will not be stable.

the transistors are usually matching pairs one for negative side(speaker goes in)

and

both tied into ground .

if it is an opamp that has gone bad, this will have the greatest effect on sound quality...and a replacement should be matched to the original.

Clipped you talk op amp. Great!!

I am an audiophile of the sicker dimension.

I still have a pair of Wilson Audio speaks back in the US that I am trying to get out here. 1 pair here, but condo limits use, full set will demand a house. So we are in the market.

Any idea where I can get some rubberized methylcrylate (sp) glue for the foam on my recently demised AE-1's. Acoustic energy will send me the new surrounds, but insist on this glue for original sound quality.

Glue ain't a tube or an op-amp, just thought ya might have a clue.

Ever hear of Norh, Thai speak and electronics manufacturer?

kdf

tried PM, but says you do not take pm.

or one of the op-amps.

and

both tied into ground .

Clipped you talk op amp. Great!!

I am an audiophile of the sicker dimension.

I still have a pair of Wilson Audio speaks back in the US that I am trying to get out here. 1 pair here, but condo limits use, full set will demand a house. So we are in the market.

Any idea where I can get some rubberized methylcrylate (sp) glue for the foam on my recently demised AE-1's. Acoustic energy will send me the new surrounds, but insist on this glue for original sound quality.

Glue ain't a tube or an op-amp, just thought ya might have a clue.

Ever hear of Norh, Thai speak and electronics manufacturer?

kdf

tried PM, but says you do not take pm.

You can find methylarylate in every 7/11, they sell it as "superglue".

I do know Norh, very nice speakers and not too expensive!

You can find methylarylate in every 7/11, they sell it as "superglue".

I do know Norh, very nice speakers and not too expensive!

No go on superglue.

You left out the rubberized part. Retains the flexibility required for this application.

kdf