Where do Chiang Mai Ex Pats come from.

FarangCravings

Chiang Mai based expatriates  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, I'm trying to add a poll here.

Think I have included most possibilities. Run out of poll options to add more!

Well you have really pissed of the Scots and the Welsh by adding Britain or Eire neither will admit to being "British" That's the unfortunate thing about TV polls, you only get ten options :o but good try, and will be interesting to see the results.

Well you have really pissed of the Scots and the Welsh by adding Britain or Eire neither will admit to being "British" That's the unfortunate thing about TV polls, you only get ten options :o but good try, and will be interesting to see the results.

I know a few English that are pissed of with the Scots and Welsh and won’t admit to being British either

I am Scottish and i have no problem saying im British. The only thing I object to is when people insist on calling me English. In fact, I ALWAYS say im British. I have no idea if thats not the norm and news to me if it isnt. :D

If we're allowed to be picky, option 1 should read "UK" and option 2 "Republic of Ireland".

That's my twopence worth :D

Shouldn't that be 2 cents worth Hill16 in these days of the Euro? :D

Yes of course MB but I thought the shock for some of finding out that we are a separate entity would be enough for one day without them finding out that we have a separate currency too.... :o

I don't think anyone knows exact numbers, but from my humble estimate (email and other correspondences with expats over 10 years for the mag and also talks with embassies, here are some VERY ROUGH figures.

US have 2000 registered, though apparently the number of US citizens who registered to vote for the last election in US was over 10,000 (north of Thailand, but this included tourists too)

UK have 400 registered, but over the years various consuls have mentioned to me that the real number could be as high as five or more times this.

Japan's newspapers and consul estimates around 2,500 Japanese.

Swedish consul says she thinks there are around 400 Swedes!

etc. etc. So I would guess the north of Thailand's expat (and seasonal expats - thoes who live here for 4 months of the year or more) to be well over 20,000 and potentially as high as double.

At our company we have an e-zine which we send out to around 5000 email addresses every fortnight. Though many of these are Thais, the majority are expats.

Huge numbers, which, oddly, TAT, businesses and authorities don't seem to appreciate or market towards.

Well you have really pissed of the Scots and the Welsh by adding Britain or Eire neither will admit to being "British" . . . . .

:D

Well, perhaps those, if any, who have been pissed off, will be able to take comfort in the thought that they, as well as other members of the English-speaking world, have been treated rather well in this poll -- apart from Britain and Eire, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have been divided up as if they were truly different! :D

Think of the poor "continental Europeans" must feel, in comparison, rather lumped together. :D Or better yet, the Japanese and Chinese who find to their enormous surprise that they are in fact brothers and sisters. :o

Believe it or not DB thee are quite a few Kiwis amongst us here, I know at least five, and one of those actually posts on this forum. I don't think true figures will ever be known, but it's fun to speculate.

They mostly stick to the Pets Forum.

A milestone has been reached on TV. A poll in which nationalities feature has been established by a British person and for the FIRST time he didn't just lump huge regions like Africa or Asia together in one, but then suddenly get all detailed when it comes to the British isles and Northern Ireland, listing absolutely all of those as separate where really the rest of the world doesn't care. :o

I also appreciate that Australia is lumped in with New Zealand, just like on the Risk board game.

Only true flaw: Where is Korea? Quite a few of Koreans around Chiang Mai but they have nowhere to vote; could be included in China & Japan I guess, that's only a couple billion people in that group.

Edited by Sanpatong

A milestone has been reached on TV. A poll in which nationalities feature has been established by a British person and for the FIRST time he didn't just lump huge regions like Africa or Asia together in one, but then suddenly get all detailed when it comes to the British isles and Northern Ireland, listing absolutely all of those as separate where really the rest of the world doesn't care. :D

I also appreciate that Australia is lumped in with New Zealand, just like on the Risk board game.

Is it me or is this lad smoking something funny??? :o

Believe it or not DB thee are quite a few Kiwis amongst us here, I know at least five, and one of those actually posts on this forum. I don't think true figures will ever be known, but it's fun to speculate.

They mostly stick to the Pets Forum.

it was a sarcastic reply from me, as I know about 4 other kiwis up here :o

yip we kiwis love pets esp little kittens................they taste like chicken! :D

Here's a handy hint - before you write stuff on this forum - try reading before hand. If you had done this you would have noticed that New Zealand and Australia are not lumped together in the poll. As an Aussie I would have had no problem with the two countries being amalgamated for the sake of this poll.

Only true flaw: Where is Korea? Quite a few of Koreans around Chiang Mai but they have nowhere to vote; could be included in China & Japan I guess, that's only a couple billion people in that group.

I am sure that no matter what grouping had been chosen for the 10 available categories someone like you would have found room to criticise the choice. Instead of making blanket criticism why didn't you put up YOUR 10 categories as a comparasion and then maybe if they were a better choice one of the mods could have altered the poll. As for the number of Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans in ChiangMai compared to those that post on TV - a quick scan of the results would be indicative. I am fully aware that we have some members of this forum who are of Asian extract but I am also fairly sure that if they felt slighted by being mixed in or missed out they would have been perfectly capable of pointing it out for themself.

CB

Approximately 4 years ago, whilst investigating an igloo manufacturing businness, i am almost certain I spotted a foriegner (of porridge variety british) on Thapae rd, he was wearing tailored shorts and knee length socks.................feel free to add him to your list :o

Edited by bloody tiger

Instead of making blanket criticism why didn't you put up YOUR 10 categories as a comparasion and then maybe if they were a better choice one of the mods could have altered the poll.

Excellent suggestion, Crow Boy! Here's my proposal, taking advantage of the fact that the categories of the poll in its current form indicate that there are at least 20 available:

1. London

2. England (other)

3. Scotland

4. Wales

5. Northern Ireland

6. Ireland

7. Gibralter

8. Europe (other)

9. Sydney

10. Australia (other)

11. New Zealand

12. Canada (exept Quebec)

13. USA (coastal)

14. USA (other)

15. Americas (other)

16. Bermuda

17. Asia

18. Africa

19. Antarctica

20. Elsewhere

It may need a little tweaking, but I think it gets us closer to where we all want to be. :o

Instead of making blanket criticism why didn't you put up YOUR 10 categories as a comparasion and then maybe if they were a better choice one of the mods could have altered the poll.

Excellent suggestion, Crow Boy! Here's my proposal, taking advantage of the fact that the categories of the poll in its current form indicate that there are at least 20 available:

1. London

2. England (other)

3. Scotland

4. Wales

5. Northern Ireland

6. Ireland

7. Gibralter

8. Europe (other)

9. Sydney

10. Australia (other)

11. New Zealand

12. Canada (exept Quebec)

13. USA (coastal)

14. USA (other)

15. Americas (other)

16. Bermuda

17. Asia

18. Africa

19. Antarctica

20. Elsewhere

It may need a little tweaking, but I think it gets us closer to where we all want to be. :o

I done the tweaking for you guys and added a few so none of our brothers will be left out, im sure it covers the lot. :D

1Afghanistan2Akrotiri3Albania4Algeria5American Samoa6Andorra7Angola8Anguilla9Antarctica10Antigua and Barbuda11Argentina12Armenia13Aruba14Ashmore and Cartier Islands15Australia16Austria17Azerbaijan18Bahamas, The19Bahrain20Bangladesh21Barbados22Bassas da India23Belarus24Belgium25Belize26Benin27Bermuda28Bhutan29Bolivia30Bosnia and Herzegovina31Botswana32Bouvet Island33Brazil34British Indian Ocean Territory35British Virgin Islands36Brunei37Bulgaria38Burkina Faso39Burma40Burundi41Cambodia42Cameroon43Canada44Cape Verde45Cayman Islands46Central African Republic47Chad48Chile49China50Christmas Island51Clipperton Island52Cocos (Keeling) Islands53Colombia54Comoros55Congo, Democratic Republic of the56Congo, Republic of the57Cook Islands58Coral Sea Islands59Costa Rica60Cote d'Ivoire61Croatia62Cuba63Cyprus64Czech Republic65Denmark66Dhekelia67Djibouti68Dominica69Dominican Republic70East Timor71Ecuador72Egypt73El Salvador74Equatorial Guinea75Eritrea76Estonia77Ethiopia78Europa Island79Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)80Faroe Islands81Fiji82Finland83France84French Guiana85French Polynesia86French Southern and Antarctic Lands87Gabon88Gambia, The89Gaza Strip90Georgia91Germany92Ghana93Gibraltar94Glorioso Islands95Greece96Greenland97Grenada98Guadeloupe99Guam100Guatemala101Guernsey102Guinea103Guinea-Bissau104Guyana105Haiti106Heard Island and McDonald Islands107Holy See (Vatican City)108Honduras109Hong Kong110Hungary111Iceland112India113Indonesia114Iran115Iraq116Ireland117Isle of Man118Israel119Italy120Jamaica121Jan Mayen122Japan123Jersey124Jordan125Juan de Nova Island126Kazakhstan127Kenya128Kiribati129Korea, North130Korea, South131Kuwait132Kyrgyzstan133Laos134Latvia135Lebanon136Lesotho137Liberia138Libya139Liechtenstein140Lithuania141Luxembourg142Macau143Macedonia144Madagascar145Malawi146Malaysia147Maldives148Mali149Malta150Marshall Islands151Martinique152Mauritania153Mauritius154Mayotte155Mexico156Micronesia, Federated States of157Moldova158Monaco159Mongolia160Montserrat161Morocco162Mozambique163Namibia164Nauru165Navassa Island166Nepal167Netherlands168Netherlands Antilles169New Caledonia170New Zealand171Nicaragua172Niger173Nigeria174Niue175Norfolk Island176Northern Mariana Islands177Norway178Oman179Pakistan180Palau181Panama182Papua New Guinea183Paracel Islands184Paraguay185Peru186Philippines187Pitcairn Islands188Poland189Portugal190Puerto Rico191Qatar192Reunion193Romania194Russia195Rwanda196Saint Helena197Saint Kitts and Nevis198Saint Lucia199Saint Pierre and Miquelon200Saint Vincent and the Grenadines201Samoa202San Marino203Sao Tome and Principe204Saudi Arabia205Senegal206Serbia and Montenegro207Seychelles208Sierra Leone209Singapore210Slovakia211Slovenia212Solomon Islands213Somalia214South Africa215South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands216Spain217Spratly Islands218Sri Lanka219Sudan220Suriname221Svalbard222Swaziland223Sweden224Switzerland225Syria226Taiwan227Tajikistan228Tanzania229Thailand230Togo231Tokelau232Tonga233Trinidad and Tobago234Tromelin Island235Tunisia236Turkey237Turkmenistan238Turks and Caicos Islands239Tuvalu240Uganda241Ukraine242United Arab Emirates243United Kingdom244United States245Uruguay246Uzbekistan247Vanuatu248Venezuela249Vietnam250Virgin Islands251Wake Island252Wallis and Futuna253West Bank254Western Sahara255Yemen256Zambia257Zimbabwe