Embassy & Diplomatic Missions

jubby

Just a quick question, probably nieve of me, but does anyone know wether our 'diplomatic missions' take any interest in the VISA issues going on at the moment, I know there's a awful lot of their citizens worried at the moment. Do they have any contacts with Thai immigration at all ?

I get a regular Email from them telling us about the safety of thailand . etc. couldn't they update us with the facts on VISA's straight from the Horses mouth as it were ?

I have noticed that the british Embassy has taken a small interest and quickly increased its price for the 'letter to confirm we have means' to 2600 baht, I'm sure it was less than 2000 a few months ago .

Embassies have interest, of course. But they are not here to try and run the rules of another government. Any interest or lobbying they do would largely be behind closed doors.

I would have thought exactly that - if they do its behind closed doors.

I know they get involved in other "Economic" matters too - an example I can give is in Singapore where certain Embassies have pointed out the escalating cost of housing and lack of places in International schools is causing companies to think twice about sending staff here - this affects economic growth and targets for demographic growth.

Its not just embassies that voice this kind of thing but trade organisations such as Chambers of Commerce and different professional groups such as HR Managers.

I'm skeptical that the US ambassador will be overly concerned if a thousand American citizens write, complaining about the visa rules. Heck, his own employee gave me the ambassador's email account, and it came back as invalid! Nah, he's got bigger fish to fry. He gives us one picnic every July 4, and we pay for the food.

I'm skeptical that the US ambassador will be overly concerned if a thousand American citizens write, complaining about the visa rules. Heck, his own employee gave me the ambassador's email account, and it came back as invalid! Nah, he's got bigger fish to fry. He gives us one picnic every July 4, and we pay for the food.

Of course the ambassador might not but his minions might at their equivalent level.

Economic and Trade staff might have more leverage than Consular staff though ie work and investment Visa's might have more sway than say visitor or retirement visa's

Then again groups like Democract's Abroad or whatever its called and the Republican equivalent will be after your votes soon - they might have a word with the Embassy ;-)

Getting a pension from a place and spending somewhere else , is not the best for your own country !

Some country penalize the one who live overseas over a certain number of weeks !

Yes they do in the case of a state pension like the UK - in certain countries you do not get the yearly increases while in others you do.

However - this has nothing to do with the Embassy - are you suggesting the Embassies put pressure say Thailand to tighten visa rules so their citizens leave?

Getting a pension from a place and spending somewhere else , is not the best for your own country !

Some country penalize the one who live overseas over a certain number of weeks !

Yes they do in the case of a state pension like the UK - in certain countries you do not get the yearly increases while in others you do.

However - this has nothing to do with the Embassy - are you suggesting the Embassies put pressure say Thailand to tighten visa rules so their citizens leave?

NO ! but they will not complaint about it .. just stay passive

NO ! but they will not complaint about it .. just stay passive

They have no real reason to make a complaint as I and others have said - a quiet word if anything but in reality how has someone like the UK got a leg to stand on with regards to reciprocal visa's?

I can just see the US ambassador begging the Thai diplomats, "Please, our folks can't survive anymore in our own country, it's too expensive and they have no money. Just take the ones with very little to their name and we'll struggle with the rest."