Singapore Check Vat Refund

hi All,

I bought a camera in Singpaore at the hectic but cheap Mohamend Mustafa shopping center. (they sell everything!!!) and had the best price on the camera. When i went to get the VAT refund i was told that the only option would be a chedk drawn on a Singapore bank and others had no probelm to cash it in Thailand (obviously she has never been here) and that i was my only option but in the future even if it expired I could cash it there or even give it to a friend to cash.

Its a monumental $20 sing. Is it even possible to deposit it or cash it her or should i save it for sometime whern I may or if, I go back to Singapore. ?

It is drawn on the Singapore branch of an Indian bank............ UCO.

Thansk

hi All,

I bought a camera in Singpaore at the hectic but cheap Mohamend Mustafa shopping center. (they sell everything!!!) and had the best price on the camera. When i went to get the VAT refund i was told that the only option would be a chedk drawn on a Singapore bank and others had no probelm to cash it in Thailand (obviously she has never been here) and that i was my only option but in the future even if it expired I could cash it there or even give it to a friend to cash.

Its a monumental $20 sing. Is it even possible to deposit it or cash it her or should i save it for sometime whern I may or if, I go back to Singapore. ?

It is drawn on the Singapore branch of an Indian bank............ UCO.

Thansk

I never knew that is how they did it - a bit of a swizz if you ask me - they probably know most will not bother cashing them in due to the cost of cashing an overseas cheque

But I think the circumstances were different with this big shopping centre as I asked for a cash refund. Normal you have the option cash/cc and they said NO CHECK ONLY> besides I went throught the budget airport :o and it was far from an official Vat refund desk... Yes normally VAT deks provides the refund.

So had anyone here ever been able to cash a foreignt check $S or any for that matter?