Insomnia In Thailand

deejah

hi

i am new to this forum and excited to join

here is a big issue since i have been in Thailand a number of years

i suffer from insomnia on and off

now lately mostly ON

i am now completely off of coffee and i exercise regularly to no avail :D

i have some theories but would love to hear your stories about your theories and treatments

thanks in advance and i look forward to reading posts and contributing

please excuse my spelling grammar and formatting

:o

Get yourself into a proper sleep routine.

I'd suggest following some of these principles as a good starting point in having good sleep hygiene.

Sleep only when sleepy

This reduces the time you are awake in bed.

If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, get up and do something boring until you feel sleepy

Sit quietly in the dark or read the warranty on your refrigerator. Don't expose yourself to bright light while you are up. The light gives cues to your brain that it is time to wake up.

Don't take naps

This will ensure you are tired at bedtime. If you just can't make it through the day without a nap, sleep less than one hour, before 3 pm.

Get up and go to bed the same time every day

Even on weekends! When your sleep cycle has a regular rhythm, you will feel better.

Refrain from exercise at least 4 hours before bedtime

Regular exercise is recommended to help you sleep well, but the timing of the workout is important. Exercising in the morning or early afternoon will not interfere with sleep.

Develop sleep rituals

It is important to give your body cues that it is time to slow down and sleep. Listen to relaxing music, read something soothing for 15 minutes, have a cup of caffeine free tea, do relaxation exercises.

Only use your bed for sleeping

Refrain from using your bed to watch TV, pay bills, do work or reading. So when you go to bed your body knows it is time to sleep. Sex is the only exception.

Stay away from caffeine, nicotine and alcohol at least 4-6 hours before bed

Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants that interfere with your ability to fall asleep. Coffee, tea, cola, cocoa, chocolate and some prescription and non-prescription drugs contain caffeine. Cigarettes and some drugs contain nicotine. Alcohol may seem to help you sleep in the beginning as it slows brain activity, but you will end end up having fragmented sleep.

Have a light snack before bed

If your stomach is too empty, that can interfere with sleep. However, if you eat a heavy meal before bedtime, that can interfere as well. Dairy products and turkey contain tryptophan, which acts as a natural sleep inducer. Tryptophan is probably why a warm glass of milk is sometimes recommended.

Take a hot bath 90 minutes before bedtime

A hot bath will raise your body temperature, but it is the drop in body temperature that may leave you feeling sleepy.

I think you will find some of this helpful.

In addition to the above:

- set your alarm clock and get up earlier than you'd like to, even if you didn't sleep well.

- first thing you do when you're up is walk out into the sun with your eyes wide open and soak up the bright morning light for 15 minutes (this resets your biological clock to morning time).

- then straight to the gym for a heavy early morning work out, as early in the day as possible.

Some people prefer insomnia but this regimen works pretty well :o

insomnia?

put on some marvin gaye, johnsons baby oil and a quick 'chak wow' thinking about big thai girls bums, before drifting off into a marvellous warm light dreamy sleep. CAUTION: girlfriend may catch you stroking the lizard, if this happens, simply reply, mosquito bite my balls. :o chokdee na krap

insomnia?

put on some marvin gaye, johnsons baby oil and a quick 'chak wow' thinking about big thai girls bums, before drifting off into a marvellous warm light dreamy sleep. CAUTION: girlfriend may catch you stroking the lizard, if this happens, simply reply, mosquito bite my balls. :o chokdee na krap

Beautiful, That was a good laugh thanks