Names Of Precious Stones In Thai

Trevor

Emerald, Sapphire = Morakot

Diamond = Payt (falling tone) ... How does this differ in tone from the words for 'doctor' and 'sex'?

Precious Stone, Jewel = Payt Ploy

Ruby = Tub-tim

? = Pailin

See the rather complete listing of Precious Stones, Jewels, and Gems at http://www.thai-language.com/id/589835

Thanks, but I really wanted to know the meaning of 'PAILIN' or 'PLOY PAILIN' if anyone knows. Also used as a female name.

Diamond = Payt (falling tone) ... How does this differ in tone from the words for 'doctor' and 'sex'?

Ruby = Tub-tim

? = Pailin

See the rather complete listing of Precious Stones, Jewels, and Gems at http://www.thai-language.com/id/589835

Thanks, but I really wanted to know the meaning of 'PAILIN' or 'PLOY PAILIN' if anyone knows. Also used as a female name.

Palin is a blue color sapphire but sapphire ave many color like transparant (white-glas color), yellow, pink, violet and green. There is also a rare color like orange-pink sapphire. Sapphire are semi-precious stones.

(Blue Sapphire) Thai called Palin (ไพลิน)

(Yellow Sapphire) Thai called Budsarakum (บุษราคัม) or Ploynambood (พลอยน้ำบุษร์)

Palin is a gem sign for Person who's born on friday. As for the month Palin is for september a gem sign too.

The meaning of Ploy Palin is : Semi-precious blue sappire. Or like precious sapphire. Thais belief that it brings good luck and jewelry that contains Palin were often passed on generations which can be use for example as a wedding ring or so.

For diamond in Thai is Phet and you can pronounce like "get" in English.

Ruby = Tub-tim

? = Pailin

มรกต morakot - emerald, oriental sapphire.

บุษราคัม budsarakum - topaz, yellow sapphire.

ไพลิน pailin - amethyst, blue sapphire.

พลอย ploy - precious stone, gem, jewel. (any colors)

เพชร phet(high tone, short vowel) - diamond (doctor แพทย์ - paet(falling tone), sex เพศ - pet(falling tone, long vowel))

พลอยไพลิน - precious stone, blue sapphire type. :o

Ruby = Tub-tim

? = Pailin

มรกต morakot - emerald, oriental sapphire.

บุษราคัม budsarakum - topaz, yellow sapphire.

ไพลิน pailin - amethyst, blue sapphire.

พลอย ploy - precious stone, gem, jewel. (any colors)

เพชร phet(high tone, short vowel) - diamond (doctor แพทย์ - paet(falling tone), sex เพศ - pet(falling tone, long vowel))

พลอยไพลิน - precious stone, blue sapphire type. :o

If sex เพศ (long single sara eh + low-class consonant to kpt sound) is falling tone, then surely diamond เพชร phet (long single sara eh + low-class consonant to kpt sound) should be falling too, not rising? So 'sex' and 'diamond' should sound the same. Thanks for the explanation.

You are absolutely correct in your analysis. The word เพชร is one of the great pronunciation exceptions in Thai. The Matichon dictionary as well as the RID both show the correct phonetic pronunciation as "เพ็ด". There was an old Thai movie and song called "เพชรตัดเพขร" - "Only a Diamond Can Cut a Diamond". Another is what Meatish pointed out last week: "เมตร" metre which carries the same pronunciation exception. Good luck.

I have found the word origin of “เพชร” including the unusual pronunciation. The word can be found on page 490 of “ภาษาไทย วันละคำ”. It says:

‘เพชร มาจากภาษาสันสกฤตว่า “วชฺร” ภาษาบาลีใช้คำว่า “วชิร” เมื่อนำมาใช้ในภาษาไทยเปลียนสระอะเป็นสระเอะ และแผลง ว เป็น พ วชฺร (วัด-ชะ-ระ) จึงเป็น เพชร’

This paragraph describes the “phase shift” from the Pali sound “wa-cha-ra” to the Thai sound “phetH”.

The is not the only example. The entry immediately preceding เพชร in this book is “เพชฌฆาต”, the word “executioner”. This word is pronounced in a similar manner, “เพ็ด-ชะ-คาด” and the relevant paragraph spells out a similar history.

Well, we don’t know the “why” yet, but we do see the “how.” Perhaps RichardW can help us with the origin.

Thanks.

Pailin. Now that name reminds me of that place which is like, east of Chantaburi province, in the Cambodia's side.

Some Cambodian people who lived in Pailin told me that they think it comes from the time when Thailand was in control of the Battambang province, they named this place Pratambang, so therefore they name this city Pailin, which means "Go Play" - "ไปเล่น", and according to them Pailin means in their Khmer language "Blue Sapphire"

Bear in mind that this is their view of what they think Pailin means in Thai as they are often bi-lingual that is, they speak to the Thais at the other border of Chantaburi and Sra Kaew (Formerly Pra chin buri)

Pailin. Now that name reminds me of that place which is like, east of Chantaburi province, in the Cambodia's side.

Some Cambodian people who lived in Pailin told me that they think it comes from the time when Thailand was in control of the Battambang province, they named this place Pratambang, so therefore they name this city Pailin, which means "Go Play" - "ไปเล่น", and according to them Pailin means in their Khmer language "Blue Sapphire"

Bear in mind that this is their view of what they think Pailin means in Thai as they are often bi-lingual that is, they speak to the Thais at the other border of Chantaburi and Sra Kaew (Formerly Pra chin buri)

Pailin were found here in Thailand alot and i think Chantaburi could be one of the provinces cause its near Cambodia border. Maybe the city was named Pailin cause of the founds? I dont know about the Go play thing. But Pailin is a very royal old girl name (hiso kinda). Like Ploy Pailin, Ploy Chompoo (too kitschy) or Tubtim (kinda plain).

DavidHouston has already addressed the original etymology, and while I can't add to that (without more research :o), I know เพชร was formerly spelled เพ็ชร, and even though เพชร is the "official" spelling nowadays, you'll still see เพ็ชร exclusively in proper names. There 4 million Google hits for เพชร, but still half a million for เพ็ชร.