Non-Immigrant ED Visa

just a quick question.. can i apply for a non immegrant Type "Ed" visa from Laos where i'm from other country.. I'm already in university in bkk and this semester i had to couldnot register and my visa is going to run soon and they r telling me to go back home and apply for visa again.. (well i would get it sure from my country)..but since i wanna save some money by doing it in Laos.. is that possible... and my home is long way.. i wanna go visit laos for a week too.. thanks

:o

There has been talk in this forum about obtaining non-immigrant O visas based on study of Thai culture. Also vaguely I have heard of visas for students in Thailand.

If you don't get any further responses to your question in this thread, trek over to the main immigration office and talk to the long stay office on the 3rd floor about a student visa for the balance of your enrolled term.

Take a letter from the University to the Thai Embassy in Laos and you should get that ED visa. Then with the uni's cooperation, it can be extended each year while you continue to pursue a formal study program. If you travel outside Thailand while you are on that extended visa, make certain that you get re-entry permit/s from Immigration.

I went to Vienntiane for a student visa last month. They were very friendly and helpful. Make sure to bring some passport photos with you and your letter of acceptance from the University. Also considered/ask if they can give you a multiple entry instead of a single entry so it makes leaving and returning to the country much easier. [more expensive]. Go on a weekday morning and you will be able to pick it up on the afternoon of the next weekday. If you're flying into Lao, you'll need photos and $30 for Lao visa fee [they prefer US$ but will accept Baht at a low exchange rate]. Lines can be a little long. Make sure the forms you fill out are clean and legible or you will have to start over (I did twice). I would suggest dressing with respect as a student would show his/her ajaan and not as if this is a mere stop between the beach and the bar. I don't understand why we have to leave the country to get this particular visa but we do. good luck

I went to Vienntiane for a student visa last month. They were very friendly and helpful. Make sure to bring some passport photos with you and your letter of acceptance from the University. Also considered/ask if they can give you a multiple entry instead of a single entry so it makes leaving and returning to the country much easier. [more expensive]. Go on a weekday morning and you will be able to pick it up on the afternoon of the next weekday. If you're flying into Lao, you'll need photos and $30 for Lao visa fee [they prefer US$ but will accept Baht at a low exchange rate]. Lines can be a little long. Make sure the forms you fill out are clean and legible or you will have to start over (I did twice). I would suggest dressing with respect as a student would show his/her ajaan and not as if this is a mere stop between the beach and the bar. I don't understand why we have to leave the country to get this particular visa but we do. good luck

You'd never need to leave Thailand if you troubled to get an extension of the visa each year.

thanks guyz.. i'm still enjoying PEACE here in Laos.. ###### the administration in my univ. in bkk.. Actually, there was kinda misunderstanding there.. This year i went back home twice already and i asked the admin whether i could keep my student status with out registering in the univ.. before i left my country.. Well they said yes.. and i was very happy to hear that but after i came back the admin told me i couldn't if i'm not registered.. Well screw him. He was dripping shit all over coz' it was his fault. Well so i kindly told him about my plans to visit laos.... that's how it started.. by the way, like Dr. pat pong said.. there shouldn't be any problems for students in bkk.. well this is an exception..

cheers u all..