Anyone Ever Have To Pay Money To The Thai Police Or People?

DragonQuest

Ok now I have another problem, they want a copy of my passport and ID , should I give it to them??? and since I am coughing up 20k I should get a paper saying its over and done with? They all know im moving out by next month, the police and the condo, Im thinking sooner.....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understood. Im am trying to work out a deal now with everyone, will see how much I have to pay. /sigh /cry after this is over I dont know how to think about thailand now, doesnt seem like the land of smiles to me, just the land of Horrors,Scams, and Poor peolpe that just want 1 thing from farang, Money. >< ; ;

What a bunch of self serving crap. It was YOU that was in the wrong here, and had you done it anywhere but here, your "costs" would have been far greater. If it was my daughter, you could add dental work to your bill.

BTW: I would say your girlfriend has been a little too understanding about all this. At least from my experience.

Edited by lannarebirth

Sorry DragonQuest I have to agree with the others. I know many young Thai ladies (family and friends) and if any man approached them wearing just his speedo's and kissed even their hand, it would freak them out big time and probably cause them to be very upset indeed. Not to the tune of claiming rape but probably enough to make them cry. I am sure this was not your intention so it's been an expensive lesson in Thai etiquette. Hope it all works out for you.

On the tea money thing, I think maybe it depends on what area you are in. I'm in Issan and have been stopped many times, once when exceeding 130kph. Thought I was in big trouble here but I was just told not to drive in the fast lane all the time. When I have been stopped I always show my UK license even though I have a Thai one. Everytime the Police look at it briefly and then seem to decide it to much hassle for them and wave me on. Rarely do they speak any english up here so it just seems that they cant be bothered.

The only time tea money has been requested is when my wife has been driving. Said she was speeding but I think she was on the limit :o

Ok now I have another problem, they want a copy of my passport and ID , should I give it to them??? and since I am coughing up 20k I should get a paper saying its over and done with? They all know im moving out by next month, the police and the condo, Im thinking sooner.....

Who wants a copy of your passport and ID? If it's the police you have little choice. If it's not then don't bother.

Yes if you can get some kind of signed paper to say it's been paid for and 'case closed'. I guess this is the best way to any avoid legal repercussions in the future. Though I would guess it's done and dusted now anyway.

Don't leave a forwarding address with anybody and make sure your girlfriend don't mention to the neighbours where you are moving to as well.

The police want my ID and passport to make a copy, but now my girlfriend said"Mai Pen Rai" and is crying because she said case closed your done, its finished. I will go to immigration and do another visa run to make sure I dont have any problems, on a side not i got the paper stating I have to move out on the 1st, and her, her boyfriend, my girlfriend, and x2 police sighed it, my girlfriend said its done, but shes crying, never mind shes smiling and laughing now, thai peolpe are weird as hel_l lol, well guess i have to start packing, gotta move in 2 weeks /sigh /cry. o I also lost the deposit on the condo, so it was a 40k lost total.....

Well maybe it was an expensive lesson and maybe it was a cheap one, you never will know. But it was a lesson so I hoped you learned from it. I would guess your gf is crying because she has been down the police station explaining why her boyfriend has been flirting with and kissing a young girl, and I guess everybody in your whole condo facility knows about it know too. Not so weird as he11 in my opinion, perhaps you need to look at your own behavior and learn that lesson.

With regards to your passport photocopy, if the gf says mai pen rai and you don't hear anymore from the police will probably be ok. But don't take my word for it, because there might be a policeman sitting there right now waiting for the photocopy and he might get a bit pissed off if you ignore him.

If you had the balls to go down to the police station yourself rather than just leaving your gf to sort out all your problems then you would know what to do now wouldn't you.

We were pulled over four times, on the same stretch of highway, by the same (brown and yellow car) traffic police. The apparent basis of the pull-over was that we were driving a pickup truck. The local cops sometimes have a proclivity for pulling over either pickups or motorcycles; conventional cars (rot gaeng) with tinted windows normally aren't bothered.

Anyhow, on each occasion, they weren't able to... get their way. After the fourth pullover ("I don't have money for lunch": can you believe that???!!!) my wife had her uncle, a police Lieutenant Major, write a letter that we still keep in the glove department. It says (abridged translation): " If any officers have an issue with these people, please contact me directly before taking any action." A few weeks later, we were pulled over again by the same officers. I'll never forget the look on their faces when we showed them the letter. No pullovers since then.

The security guards are trying to smile at me and laughed when I passed them today, &lt;deleted&gt; is this???? Did I save face or loose face? I have to leave in 2 weeks, I think Im gonna bail out in 1 week. Another thing I was thinking dont let my girlfriend do things for me(I am taking care of her very good now), and I should have went to the manager and police station myself to try to sort things out , then again this is thailand no matter what 100% I would have lost , so I was gonna end up paying anyway.>< ; ;

The security guards are trying to smile at me and laughed when I passed them today, &lt;deleted&gt; is this???? Did I save face or loose face?

You lost face and they all smiling at you because they probably had a good drink on your money last night.

Another thing I was thinking dont let my girlfriend do things for me(I am taking care of her very good now), and I should have went to the manager and police station myself to try to sort things out

At 27 yrs old you have just worked out that you need to take responsibility for your own actions?

then again this is thailand no matter what 100% I would have lost , so I was gonna end up paying anyway.>< ; ;

Give it a rest will you pal. It's not Thailand's fault, it not Thai people's fault, you was the guy coming on to a 16 yr old girl who's boyfriend works in the same building.

You can't still think you are totally blameless can you?

I got stopped for speeding while on the way to Khon Kaen from pattaya. I only had 1000bht notes in my wallet so the payoff was a 1000bht. The wife asked me if I had learned my lesson. Yes, I replied...I need to stop at the next sevice station and get some 500bht notes :o

The same offence in the uk would have been a lot more expensive plus points on my license. I am quite happy to hand over 500bht if I can speed up a bit :D

why is everyone speeding in thailand? well yes at 27 I guess I should of took matters into my own hands but I didnt, I regret it now. Next time I will did it alone by myself, dont need any back up anymore. But my girlfriend said she was scared and didnt want to see me go down there so they can take me. She specifically told me just to stay in my room and stay home , she will deal with it cause I dont speak thai. Now that I thought about it, I should of done everything solo....... cant turn back time now.

Edited by DragonQuest

DragonQuest,

I finally described your complete situation to my Thai wife this evening. Despite her earlier mention that hand shaking could entrap a farang on the street, I was actually surprised when she said that the girl and her security guard boyfriend could have "planned it". Whether they are true grifters or just opportunistic scumbags they clearly saw you coming.

I doubt this information would help much now, but perhaps it is a warning to you and others how delicate our interactions with "kon Thai" can be.

Personally, if I ever found myself single here in Thailand, I'd be very cautious about meeting women. I've heard some scary stories. I knew one farang jerk who left his wife high and dry for a hair dresser. That didn't last long, and soon he was buying a pickup for some other young thing. Before he knew it, a local policeman was threatening his life for messing with his "gik", and the farang was asking his abandoned wife for help!

You really need to have your wits about you and proceed with caution when you have an interest in a Thai girl/woman, especially when she and her "family" know where you live!

Thank you for your comfort, I definetly learned my lesson, I made a few mistakes at first, like I should of gave the 5000 baht no questions asked, and I should of went to management as soon as she took off and the office peolpe wanted to talk to me I ignored it till later, and also let my girlfriend handle it,I think too was a big no no, I could of got them down to maby 10-15k, but then again no worries, I learned my lesson the hard way and I am leaving thailand next year Im thinking, cant take this bull crap anymore with thai's wanting my money when I myself am broke too! ; ; I am really feeling Pain right now, deep down inside it hurts meI cant think straight, I cant sleep and I cant eat right, can anyone advise an antidote?

When driving up to Buriram I make sure I have change in various parts of the car (100 here, 200 there, 400 in another place etc.).

Got pulled in Bangkok coming off the slipway down to Sukhumvit to go round Bumungrad to get to the other side of the one way system. At the bottom of the slip road i was asked to pull over. They wanted license and said something about Bt500. I said no, I was going just past Soi 0 on the other side. He seemed to understand that I knew where I was going and though I had to park up and get out of the car, a Bt100 got me on my way. I could have stood ground but I had an appointment and it is just one of those things.

Over the years I have had to advise a number of guys to pay something in certain situations not because I thought they were in the wrong but because the alterantives, apart from a positive result, were going to be far worse than the demands requested and negotiated. I hat ethe fact that it exists, except for the "speed tax" but you have very little to gain in the majority of cases by going up against authority. Some good advice was that the more people involved, the more it will cost.

In BKK and lost. Switched lanes to get into the right lane and was spotted by a policeman. Pulled over and told to pay 500 Baht. When I asked for a receipt he told me that would mean a trip to the police station (and wasted time) so I let it go at that even though he had his ticket book in hand. I do not know enough Thai to argue the point either.

The cop spoke English and told me they had caught me on radar.

I've never seen nor heard of radar being used in Thailand to catch speeders.

Look in the ditches that seperate the sides of the road, especially where there are bushes and trees and you will see them. I was speeding to a party and saw the cop with his speed gun too late. When they sent out a speeding ticket to the girlfriends house she informed them she had no money. Case closed and forgotten

I got stopped for speeding while on the way to Khon Kaen from pattaya. I only had 1000bht notes in my wallet so the payoff was a 1000bht. The wife asked me if I had learned my lesson. Yes, I replied...I need to stop at the next sevice station and get some 500bht notes :o

The same offence in the uk would have been a lot more expensive plus points on my license. I am quite happy to hand over 500bht if I can speed up a bit :D

In BKK and lost. Switched lanes to get into the right lane and was spotted by a policeman. Pulled over and told to pay 500 Baht.

A red note is plenty good, a purple is a bit on the high side. Don't even ask - just kind of hide it under your license and hand it over at the same time - they will know that you understand the custom and probably won't ask for more.

Don't even ask for a receipt - you won't get one. Or you will be taken to the police station and they will give you a receipt for whatever the correct fine is (definitely not less than 500 baht).

The ticket book is just that - a ticket book. It is not a receipt. The ticket is something you have to go to the police station and pay for.

BTW - anybody, especially a smoker, passing by Benjasiri Park (next to Emporium) - beware, do not toss your cigarette butt or other trash in that area. You will get stopped and they will ask for 2000 baht for littering - as stupid as it seems, the fine for littering is worse than for most traffic violations.

Edited by onethailand

• 2 months later...