Advice Please

I lived in Thailand and London in my mid-twentys. For a few years I worked, as an Architect, on contarct in London for 3 to 9 months and then spent 3 to 9 months in Thailand. The money I earned, including OT, made it unnecesary and pointless to work in Thailand for small money. I always arrived back in UK full of energy and ready for long hours. No regrets, perhaps you should do same for awhile. Good luck

I did that too in IT Contracting

I did work as a consultant in Thailand for while too - not as much as the UK/Europe but still not a paper boy's salary either - 10K-15k THB a day

I did return to Europe contracting though then moved to permie and got posted to Singapore which i actually prefer working in to Thailand which is 2 hours a way and every weekend if I want (I do not go that much)

Where are you guys living now?

He replied "no your not your indian" At that moment i was so angry and stared him straight in the face which made him look towards the floor. The thought that i am being thought of like that made me even more sure i wanna get out of England. But saying that i have a lot of great friends from different ethnic backgrounds, i guess he was not from London.

Lad deserves a good smack for that, but you get these sort of lads everywhere. Better to ignore em. I know some really good lads and real stars. (happen to be sik) Best way to break stereotypes in thailand, show generosity and respect to the locals. :o

He replied "no your not your indian" At that moment i was so angry and stared him straight in the face which made him look towards the floor. The thought that i am being thought of like that made me even more sure i wanna get out of England. But saying that i have a lot of great friends from different ethnic backgrounds, i guess he was not from London.

Lad deserves a good smack for that, but you get these sort of lads everywhere. Better to ignore em. I know some really good lads and real stars. (happen to be sik) Best way to break stereotypes in thailand, show generosity and respect to the locals. :o

Do many people regret making the move to Thailand?

Lad deserves a good smack for that, but you get these sort of lads everywhere. Better to ignore em. I know some really good lads and real stars. (happen to be sik) Best way to break stereotypes in thailand, show generosity and respect to the locals. :D

Ones who haven't thought it out properly, no dosh, or good job prospects. Thailand is a miserable place without dosh, just remember that!!! :o

But to be frank i'm in my 30's and do want to settle down sooner rather than later in a one place that i can call my home, so spending time between two countries may leave me in a state of limbo i feel.

Settling in Thailand can be a precarious affair. Read the visa forum. Thailand really doesn't like foreigners calling Thailand 'home'

Edited by OlRedEyes

I lived in Thailand and London in my mid-twentys. For a few years I worked, as an Architect, on contarct in London for 3 to 9 months and then spent 3 to 9 months in Thailand. The money I earned, including OT, made it unnecesary and pointless to work in Thailand for small money. I always arrived back in UK full of energy and ready for long hours. No regrets, perhaps you should do same for awhile. Good luck

I did work as a consultant in Thailand for while too - not as much as the UK/Europe but still not a paper boy's salary either - 10K-15k THB a day

I did return to Europe contracting though then moved to permie and got posted to Singapore which i actually prefer working in to Thailand which is 2 hours a way and every weekend if I want (I do not go that much)

Singapore in IT as a permie as a regional manager

Will probably stay till I finish my MBA then look at the market but i am happy where i am at the moment

Singapore in IT as a permie as a regional manager

Will probably stay till I finish my MBA then look at the market but i am happy where i am at the moment

gman,

To answer your ?, where are we now; I moved from London to Thailand after the Property crash in the 80s and stayed for about 10 years. Best time of my life. However, will never be sure if that was all because of Thailand or partly/mainly because I was younger. Agree, wholeheartedly with other posters, living in Thailand 6 months on 6 months off means no money or visa concerns. Lots of free time etc.

Taught English in hotels, studied hotel mgt. by mail from USA, got Diploma and became Hotel trg. mgr. Good job, salary but always worried about the day they would say 'no job, bye, bye', lose job, Work permit, visa all at same time - not good.

My wife, Thai hotel mgr., and daughter came back to Ireland 10 years ago so that my daughter could learn English. We planned to stay a year but got caught up in the building boom here. Daughter is now in secondary school, so will probably remain here till kids finish school/college. Plan to return to Thailand in 10 yrs or so. Finacially, we could retire to Thailand now but need to let kids finish school.

All in all, I have no regrets, moving to Thailand at your age to settle sounds great but I do not believe foreigners can make money in Thailand and the never ending visa hassle will worry you.

I'd visit regularly, make a few pounds and then consider options.

Regarding the racist comments, I have never believed myself to be superior or inferior to another because of my race (maybe for other reasons - being an ###### etc.) and so have never felt bothered by IGNORANT racist comments .

Lad deserves a good smack for that, but you get these sort of lads everywhere. Better to ignore em. I know some really good lads and real stars. (happen to be sik) Best way to break stereotypes in thailand, show generosity and respect to the locals. :D

Ones who haven't thought it out properly, no dosh, or good job prospects. Thailand is a miserable place without dosh, just remember that!!! [/i]:o

That is THE BEST piece of advice anyone could give you.

And to answer Gman's other question: I'm in Singapore these days (Financial Controller of a commodity trading firm) but worked in BKK previously as regional finance director for a British MNC. Why did I move on - I followed the money (see Brit's post above) :D

CC

Ones who haven't thought it out properly, no dosh, or good job prospects. Thailand is a miserable place without dosh, just remember that!!! [/i]:o

And to answer Gman's other question: I'm in Singapore these days (Financial Controller of a commodity trading firm) but worked in BKK previously as regional finance director for a British MNC. Why did I move on - I followed the money (see Brit's post above) :D

CC

I would advise you to start your business in Vietnam and visit Thailand from time to time. Thailand is a terrible place to do business.........odds are stacked against you and YES, xenophobia/racism is rising in Thailand. THEY are giving many people the impression that WE are not wanted. Lots of people have left already and more to follow.....many are going to foreigner-friendly countries like Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, and Malaysia.

Ones who haven't thought it out properly, no dosh, or good job prospects. Thailand is a miserable place without dosh, just remember that!!! [/i] :o

CC

Yes Thailand is bloody miserable without dosh!!

The other mistake peole make is something you allude to - "not following the money" and staying on in Thailand when they really should not.

Some make good but its a low %

Some are scraping by but just "Existing" on a paper boy's salry

Some end up in trouble - health, criminal and other ways

Follow the money till you have enough for a comfortable life in Thailand -take extended holidays there if required until you have the means to stay either through investments or a decent business.

Why some people work for 40,000THB a month in Thailand if for example 250,000++ a month in somewhere like Singapore/HK is beyond me - I know who has more disposable income!

Ones who haven't thought it out properly, no dosh, or good job prospects. Thailand is a miserable place without dosh, just remember that!!! [/i] :o

CC

The other mistake peole make is something you allude to - "not following the money" and staying on in Thailand when they really should not.

Follow the money till you have enough for a comfortable life in Thailand -take extended holidays there if required until you have the means to stay either through investments or a decent business.

Why some people work for 40,000THB a month in Thailand if for example 250,000++ a month in somewhere like Singapore/HK is beyond me - I know who has more disposable income!

Thanks guys! I have never been to Hong Kong or Singapore before so wanted to know what it's like? Also is it similar to Thailand in relation to lifestyle and people?

CC

I would advise you to start your business in Vietnam and visit Thailand from time to time. Thailand is a terrible place to do business.........odds are stacked against you and YES, xenophobia/racism is rising in Thailand. THEY are giving many people the impression that WE are not wanted. Lots of people have left already and more to follow.....many are going to foreigner-friendly countries like Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia, and Malaysia.

What is Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia and Malaysia like in comparison to Thailand?

CC

Thanks guys! I have never been to Hong Kong or Singapore before so wanted to know what it's like? Also is it similar to Thailand in relation to lifestyle and people?

I have to rush to my MBAS class but promise you an answer tomorrow ;-)

Well Singapore is Asia but much more multi-cultural than say Thailand due to its history, Chinese, Malay, Indian, European, Indo, Eurasion, Straits Chinese

Everyday Language is English

Clean, safe, excelleent range of food - one of the most liveable cities in the world.

Two hours to Thailand, cheap flights - lots of other locations within 4 hours ie vietnam, Bali, PI, HK

Very high tech and it works!!!

They want another 2 million (yes you read it right) skilled workers and IT is very bighere as is Finance, shipping, bi0-tech/pharma

To my opinion the OP is crazy.

With a salary of 1,000 pounds a week he can afford all the hookers he needs in England. Why come to Thailand where hookers are indeed less expensive but he would have very little income if not no income at all ?

My friend I AM NOT COMING to Thailand for the hookers. I want to get out of England! Money can't change the weather, people and culture of England.

and you think Thailand has better people and culture than England ? Thais worship only money, and as most of them are poor, they seek it much more then English. Remember Ferengi rule of acquisition 222: "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"

I did not say that Thailand has better people and culture than England! I need a change and Thailand culture,weather and people will be different for me since i have lived in London my whole life up to now! I am lucky to be born in England and have a good education and diverse friends. But in life some people need change after a period of time in their own life. I love England with my heart and my family are all here too.

gman,

I wouldn't let people like Edonista upset you. Most posts on Thai Visa Forum attract one or two people like this. He's probably trying (successfully) to 'wind you up'.

Diverse and wonderful as London is, this forum seems also to comprise a wide variety of people from guys who are in Thailand to satisfy their basest instincts to those who have higher aspirations.

I agree with you that London is a good place to live, as are many places, but traveling and change is a good thing. I was happy in London, happier in Thailand, happy now in Ireland and happy to know I will retire to thailand.

On topic, Singapore is a wonderful city but not like Thailand. In your position, it could be wise to move there for awhile and see how you feel after a few visits to Thailand.

Joe

the only reason to move to rthailand is the ladies!

I don't agree with that statement - frankly idiotic in my opinion - but to each his own ...

... it's a subjective, individual decision - the OP seems to be career minded as well as wishing to move to Asia - on that basis I think he'll find Thailand is probable to be a disappointment

the only reason to move to rthailand is the ladies!

I don't agree with that statement - frankly idiotic in my opinion - but to each his own ...

... it's a subjective, individual decision - the OP seems to be career minded as well as wishing to move to Asia - on that basis I think he'll find Thailand is probable to be a disappointment

Do not take Blizzard seriously - an illiterate American living in a shithole on lower Suk scraping a living together without the money to stand a bar bill - existing not living :o

no shithole for me. $275 a month............lol. im late on sep rent, as im in usa taking care of things. i wonder if my 2 months security deposit will tide me over till next week.

if op is carreer mindedd what the h e l l is he thinking moving to thailand, its the ladies................lol. saying you have experience working in thailand will only get one a bucnh of laughs.

Edited by blizzard

Remember Ferengi rule of acquisition 222: "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"

we Klingons despise Ferengis. we like Thailand but don't keep close contacts with Thais for the simple reason Thais are not warriors and do not appreciate red wine :o

On topic, Singapore is a wonderful city but not like Thailand. In your position, it could be wise to move there for awhile and see how you feel after a few visits to Thailand.

Joe

Hey Joe, how can GMan move to Singapore without shelling out a few millions to obtain a residence permit?

sorry, didn't read the first posting. trying to get a job makes Singapore of course feasible.

Edited by Dr. Naam

You asked what I meant by mnc - multi national corporation

I suggest finding a wealthy partner to invest, most web property at current valuation trends will be a ROI in 4.5 years for investments of about £30k - £60k. But if the idea is new to you it is just as dangerous as going into stocks trading afresh.

Edited by OxfordWill