Where Can I Buy Some Swans

I posted this in the Phuket forum but want to cover all my bases, and thought I might get a better responce in this forum.

OP Looking for Swans in Phuket Forum

Sure to be one of the more random postings on the forum but here goes,

I'm looking to purchase about a dozen swans (Pink or White but not Black) in Phuket.

Does any one have any ideas or contacts on where to get them?

While I'm at it, an leeds for Pecocks would also be useful.

I haven't got a clue is the short answer but you realize that the Chinese and other Asians regard both of them as delicacies?

I'm looking for them to be pretty and swim in a pond and eat bugs and algie. Being on the menu is not part of the plan.

I kinda figured that might be the case, just make sure that what I describe doesn't turn out to be the part of somebody else's plan.

I'm not sure swans even come in pink, my only success on a Google for pink swans was some in the UK that had turned pink because of an infection.

You will need a big lake to support a dozen swans, these are very big birds, fully grown they can have a wingspan of 8 or 9 feet! not something you want to tangle with if it's pissed with you :o

I'm sure two (a pair) would look very nice, and babies will be cute and attractive if you have the space. Let us know how you get on, going to be something unusual.

black australian swans are territorial, breed well and are more able to stand 'dirty' water, eat every thing green in sight; white swans are more sensitive, and there arent pink swans... swans need a 'private' place to nest in... and if u run out of greenery u have to supplement their diet with some kind of fowl feed (we use chicken feed mixed with bread and chopped grass that we cut, not lawnmowered); or dont have too many swans per area of pond (water is less important than greenery for them, they need greens or their feathers look nasty). they dont eat bugs they eat plants and algae is not enough.

they are voracios eaters, one of the reasons i am not replacing ours in our pond, so we can have some greenery.: try koi or goldfish for pond management;

peackocks are territorial (the males) if u have them in breeding season near children and can do damage...

check cites lists about swans (ask nignoy)...

bina

israel

Edited by bina

A relative was once given a gift of peacocks but although they had a beautiful place to live within they took off. She said she found out later that they are supposed to be chained or caged for a period of time in order for them to 'bond' with the territory. Nor did she like the idea of constraining them, but i suppose one would need to. I have no idea if this chaining/caging thing is true to be honest, or if the same goes for swans, but best to double check, or maybe someone more clued up can post info on this.

There is no such thing as a (naturally) Pink Swan - perhaps you are thinking of Flamingoes?

Also, most species of Swan are migratory, so you would probably have to pinion the wings or clip the primaries; neither, particularly the latter, is as simple as it sounds - not only are Swans rather large, powerful and agressive but the larger feathers contain blood vessels which can be damaged if the job is botched. (Although of course you might end up with a Pink Swan - for a time anyway).

Patrick

peacocks have a huge territory: ours go down into the valleys but return; at night they rove as far as buildings out of the park, perch on the roofs and sleep but they always come back

peacocks have a meow sounding call that not all neighbhors appreciate as it is very loud and carries.

the best way to catch peacocks is at night when they are roosting .... the females always will follow the male so it is enough to clip the wing feathers of the males...

swans wont migrate if they have regular food and territory but they will wander and not neccessarily come back so pinioning should be done.

like i said: black swans are easy and deal with less clean water and food sources

• 3 years later...