Growing Demand For Thai Sticky Rice Shoots Up Price

Mid

Growing demand for Thai sticky rice shoots up price

Friday 14 September 2007 03:12:21 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Sep 14 (TNA) – Massive purchase of Thai sticky rice by Chinese importers to produce famous Japanese beverage ‘Sake’ and desserts has shot up the price of the produce which is the staple of Thailand’s northern and northeastern people, a senior Commerce Ministry official said Friday.

Surapong Pransilp, Director General of the Rice Department, said Thai sticky rice has been in great demand by Chinese importers who need the produce to make Japanese desserts and Sake to cater to an increasing number of Japanese tourists in China.

Thailand, he said, could export only 200,000 tons of sticky rice while the rest has to be reserved for domestic consumption.

The cultivation of sticky rice in China was insufficient for local demand partly due to natural disasters.

Surapong raised concern that, as sticky rice was the essential food of northern and northeastern people, they could suffer if the price of sticky rice shot up to 28-30 baht a kilo.

“The previous government had encouraged farmers to grow jasmine rice and offered a guaranteed price of 10,000 baht per kwian. Cultivation of sticky rice has therefore decreased, causing a shortage in the market and higher price,” said the director general.

The drafting of a sticky rice development plan, initiated by Agricultural and Cooperatives Minister Thira Sutabutr, is underway. The objective of the plan is to develop the productivity of 19 breeds of sticky rice available in Thailand in order to cope with demand in the market. (TNA) E110

MCOT Public Company Limited

Well I have to admit to being the one that has caused this. I absolutely love sticky rice and if it comes with mango well ....its even better than an orgasim. :o

Since we moved to thailand we have increased the amount of rice we eat seven fold.

But sticky rice is in a league of its own.

If you don't know what I'm talking about get some with mango. They sell it everywhere. In Pattaya I go to the Klang loads of stalls there..mmmmmmmm must go for a fix soon.

I might have to start a Sticky Rice Anonymous support group.

begsaresponse (sticky rice friendly member)

Well I have to admit to being the one that has caused this. I absolutely love sticky rice and if it comes with mango well ....its even better than an orgasim. :o

Since we moved to thailand we have increased the amount of rice we eat seven fold.

If you don't know what I'm talking about get some with mango. They sell it everywhere. In Pattaya I go to the Klang loads of stalls there..mmmmmmmm must go for a fix soon.

I also love sticky rice with sweet mango. we were out in the fields one day and were hungry without food. we picked some sweet mango and very ripe papaya. It was deliciouse. Sorry for going off topic a little.

I also love sticky rice with sweet mango. we were out in the fields one day and were hungry without food. we picked some sweet mango and very ripe papaya. It was deliciouse. Sorry for going off topic a little.

Wow i never thought that farang ppl would eat just plain sticky rice with fruits. You are like my granny hehe...she like to eat that way too but i dont like the combination at all. Kao niaw mamuang i hate it so much...

When I jut saw now the "Sticky Rice" topic I want to show you what can be done with this local product:

I had been asked from a customer to develop a dessert made from local products. First thought was: Sticky rice and mango!

It took me about 3 days with test cooking to get the final result: Sticky rice mousse with mango sauce!

Here are some variations:

med_gallery_2733_531_605998.jpg

med_gallery_2733_531_138919.jpg

med_gallery_2733_531_58930.jpg

med_gallery_2733_531_605998.jpg

med_gallery_2733_531_667014.jpg

med_gallery_2733_531_307566.jpg

Gerd

When I jut saw now the "Sticky Rice" topic I want to show you what can be done with this local product:

I had been asked from a customer to develop a dessert made from local products. First thought was: Sticky rice and mango!

It took me about 3 days with test cooking to get the final result: Sticky rice mousse with mango sauce!

Here are some variations:

Gerd

Oh my God, am I hungry now!!

rgds