Self Defence

Maigo6

Which is better for a short-term self defence course, Krav Maga or Grace Ju Jitsu?

How about for an older person with lots of aches and pains that can't train hard? :o

Some people say, bad back, don't do Aikido, bad knee, don't do Taekwondo.

I have not seen many older Taekwondo students. At age 50, I was the oldest Teakwondo student in my school. I hasten to say that I am no expert. I have seen older Aikido students. I would recommend Aikido for the older student. It uses the opponents strength against them, by redirecting their flow of energy, with the techniques that are used. I also think that Aikido is more useful. However, their is nothing short term these two arts.

Short term probably Krav Maga.

I studied both Teakwando and Ju Jitsu for a year when I was in my early 30s, but you learn very little of long term use in that amount of time.

Supposedly, after just a few months of Grace Ju Jitsu, you gain real, long-term self-defence skills and I get the idea that Krav Maga is a simular type of system. Am I right here?

Which is better for a short-term self defence course, Krav Maga or Grace Ju Jitsu?

How about for an older person with lots of aches and pains that can't train hard? :o

Some people say, bad back, don't do Aikido, bad knee, don't do Taekwondo.

I have not seen many older Taekwondo students. At age 50, I was the oldest Teakwondo student in my school. I hasten to say that I am no expert. I have seen older Aikido students. I would recommend Aikido for the older student. It uses the opponents strength against them, by redirecting their flow of energy, with the techniques that are used. I also think that Aikido is more useful. However, their is nothing short term these two arts.

Short term probably Krav Maga.

I studied both Teakwando and Ju Jitsu for a year when I was in my early 30s, but you learn very little of long term use in that amount of time.

Supposedly, after just a few months of Grace Ju Jitsu, you gain real, long-term self-defence skills and I get the idea that Krav Maga is a simular type of system. Am I right here?

I have great respect for Grace Ju Jitsu and for the Grace family from Brazil. When I was a very young person, I studied Ju Jitsu in England. I have never studied Grace Ju Jitsu, so I cannot answer your question about their methods.

I think a simple self defense class that is not style/art specific would be the best thing.

It is true, in my opinion, that to be truely effective, Taekwondo and Aikido, should be studied as part of your life. Both methods will increase your physical fitness.

Martial Arts is a great way to increase fitness and meet nice people.

Edited by philliphn

The youngest student in our Aikido class is a nine year old Thai girl of one meter something and approx 20 kg. She has a yellow belt by now and the pressure that she applies to my joints is scary.... :D

Yes, we are a bit more gentle with her than with the adult students.

Dude,

If I'm not wrong u r just talking about my little daughter. :o

She'd been studying Taekwondo, with Jean Pierre, since she was 06 yrs old (Meanwhile she's already 11 yrs old).

Her present ranck is 2nd Black/Red Belt.

However, after all those years in Taekwondo she found it quite "boring" and started Aikido with me 1 or 2 yrs ago.

From my own experiences in martial arts, I personally don't recommend younger childrens to start with Aikido as their primary martial arts.

It's not because of the pain and/or injury that each technique could cause but it's because of their concentration and the self dicipline that most young childrens don't have yet.

For parents who r thinking to get their child into martial arts, I would recommend Taekwondo, Karate Do or Juijutsu.

Cheers :D

Also, in Pattaya is Pierre Berrie 5th degree Black Belt in Taekwondo and former member of the French Olympic Taekwondo Team. A very nice man. He is married to a Thai lady and has a son. I believe that his studio is on the street behind Big C the one across from Sabai De Water Sports (grin). The sign is next to Big C. You have to look carefully to see the sign. His training fees are also very inexpensive.

Jean Pierre went back to France a few month ago and is training/coaching the Taekwondo National team there.

The last time I spoke to him, he told me that his plans are to come back to Thailand ever 2 or 3 months to look after his students.

His Studio has also moved to the new Badminton court at soi Chaiyapruek.

My Sensi was still teaching at 78yrs old so not too old, as for angry white pajamas it was a great read id recomend it although the style i dont like to much yoshinkan is very brutal and you do need a good level of fitness. this is the style they teach the Japanese riot police.