Sudden Failure Of Every Usb Port

Veazer

I'm doing XP installations for a local company's laptops. One of the Thinkpad X40 models froze while going into standby mode and never powered down the drives or fans. I had to force a powerdown (holding power button) and on the following reboot every USB port was dead. I've tried various USB devices, I've tried un-installing all USB Hubs and controllers and letting XP re-install them, nothing works. Device manager doesn't indicate any issues. The ports are still receiving power, i tested this with a friend's usb reading light. The USB ports on the docking stations are all dead as well. Any ideas?

If the Laptop still have Warranty go to the IBM/LENOVO Service! If you're in Bangkok, you should go to the IBM Headoffice at Paholyothin Road.

Otherwise may try to download the latest available Bios and update the existing one but ot forget to save the original Bios.

Thanks for the help guys.

The bios is up to date, and the only way to do a cmos reset is to open up the case or use the aging and questionable 'killcmos' app. It sounds like the killcmos app tends to kill thinkpads so i'll pass.

The company says the unit is under warranty to i'll send it to IBM rather than keep messing with it. They're probably not going to be happy about me removing the diagnostic partition though...

Thanks for the help guys.

The bios is up to date, and the only way to do a cmos reset is to open up the case or use the aging and questionable 'killcmos' app. It sounds like the killcmos app tends to kill thinkpads so i'll pass.

The company says the unit is under warranty to i'll send it to IBM rather than keep messing with it. They're probably not going to be happy about me removing the diagnostic partition though...

Go to the IBM Headoffice at Paholyotjin Road, may you can just wait and they repair directly. Service there is exellent! And as long as you've Warranty, any other things are out of questions!