Catcdma

tamsin

Speed test results - AirCard 580

October 6, 2007 @ 3pm

Download: 133 kilobits/second (16.3 KB/s)

Upload: 20 kilobits/second ( 2.4 KB/s)

From south Patong hill - clear line of sight to CAT tower and maximum signal strength.

Thats why its slow then..

You have bought the old style CDMA equipment that only runs at a fraction of the max speeds.. You need to buy the 'CDMA 2000' equipment (it costs a lot more) think its 13k for the PC card (aircard) and 11k for the USB new one.

Um, yes, I know that's why it's slow, but at the time, around 6 months ago, I wasn't offered an alternative. So if I were to flog out 10,900 for the aircard, will I be able to upload a jpeg? watch video clips? previous two posts don't look very promising.

Well the PC card has been around since it came out..

I used a PC card laptop about 2 months ago.. It was slower than my ADSL and had a bit more ping lag but it certainly wasnt unusable, however any kind of streamin vid is a strain.. Youtube and other vid sites always have to rebuffer multiple times on my ADSL.

In Nakhon Pathom this week. Here's some tests from here:

Speed Test #37960821 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-07 10:07:38 EST

Download: 294 (Kbps)

Upload: 56 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 35.9 down 6.8 up

Tested by server: 55 java

User: 2 @ dslreports.com

User's DNS: cat.net.th

Speed Test #37960904 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-07 10:10:08 EST

Download: 407 (Kbps)

Upload: 72 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 49.7 down 8.8 up

Speed Test #37961059 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-07 10:15:32 EST

Download: 499 (Kbps)

Upload: 63 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 60.9 down 7.8 up

Above with CCU650

Edited by RedCardinal

The Nakhon Pathom speeds are about what I would expect from the AirCard 580 or CCU 650 - 300 to 500 Kbps "real" international download speeds.

DrDave's test results on South Patong Hill worry me. Let me see what people say this Sunday at the meeting.

Basically, yes. Although DrDave's tests leave me worried, you should be able to get 300 to 500 Kbps download speeds and 100 Kbps upload, using either the AirCard 580 (which isn't offered by CAT anymore) or the CCU 650 (which is still available - as of today, anyway).

The equipment you're using generally runs about one-fifth the speed of the AirCard or CCU 650.

I say "generally" though because if the whole network gets choked, as DrDave's speeds would indicate, it doesn't matter how fast the card works.

I've been having trouble the past two days with my CAT landline ADSL. Some people are blaming a surge in demand in Phuket on the school holidays. Could be true, but if it were, I wonder why we didn't see it on weekends earlier this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Going from bad to very bad, not good CAT

will look for a phone line here in Kata, any use TT&T here in Kata, is Maxnet any good.

Thx.

Speed Test #38810734 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-25 04:45:36 EST

Download: 52 (Kbps)

Upload: 29 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 6.4 down 3.6 up

User's DNS: cdpm1.com

Hi

Bad, bad, bad, somebody say Cat is OK, well not me,(not anymore) have been very slow for 3 days now.

Speed Test #38868275 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-26 12:02:51 EST

Download: 114 (Kbps)

Upload: 32 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 14 down 4 up

HI

This is 08.00 here in Thailand, still bad.

Speed Test #39081586 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-30 21:06:43 EST

Download: 94 (Kbps)

Upload: 61 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 11.5 down 7.5 up

Anyone know of coverage of this network? I know that it started in Phuket but has it gone nationwide? I looked on the catcdma website but it is all in thai and doesnt appear to have a coverage map.

I was told by the staff in the Phuket office that it works "everywhere" except for Bangkok. Not sure if this is accurate but I'm off to Samui on Tuesday so fingers crossed...

HI

Right now in Kata.15.05

Speed Test #39095075 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-31 04:13:36 EST

Download: 102 (Kbps)

Upload: 43 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 12.5 down 5.3 up

+ i get DC about 15 times a day, so dont buy a aircard if you live in Kata, i will have 1 for sale soon, if i can get a land line.

Hi

18.15, any lower>>>>

Speed Test #39098796 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-31 08:17:19 EST

Download: 61 (Kbps)

Upload: 5 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 7.5 down 0.6 up

Basically, yes. Although DrDave's tests leave me worried, you should be able to get 300 to 500 Kbps download speeds and 100 Kbps upload, using either the AirCard 580 (which isn't offered by CAT anymore) or the CCU 650 (which is still available - as of today, anyway).

The equipment you're using generally runs about one-fifth the speed of the AirCard or CCU 650.

Woody, my friend, you have to get over it. The speeds are very slow. I've had an AirCard since the beginning and no matter where I go whether in Phuket Town or in Patong, the speed is mostly the same. Passable download speed, horrific upload speed (making it almost impossible to upload image or video files).

Here's a sample from Oct 15 at 9:30 p.m. from Phuket Town near Tesco:

http://speedtest.thaivisa.com

Download speed: 58 KB/sec

Upload speed: 3.5 KB/sec

It's great for a backup (as my TOT regularly craps out for 24 hours or more at a time) or if you are tooling around the island, but as a primary Internet source it is not feasible for me.

My $64,000 question is if the island police is using this same network for CCTV (as reported in a previous Gazette article), how in God's name are they uploading video (or even still images) from the cameras to a central server at 5 KB/sec ???

Cheers,

Ignacio

Basically, yes. Although DrDave's tests leave me worried, you should be able to get 300 to 500 Kbps download speeds and 100 Kbps upload, using either the AirCard 580 (which isn't offered by CAT anymore) or the CCU 650 (which is still available - as of today, anyway). The equipment you're using generally runs about one-fifth the speed of the AirCard or CCU 650.
Woody, my friend, you have to get over it. The speeds are very slow. I've had an AirCard since the beginning and no matter where I go whether in Phuket Town or in Patong, the speed is mostly the same. Passable download speed, horrific upload speed (making it almost impossible to upload image or video files). Here's a sample from Oct 15 at 9:30 p.m. from Phuket Town near Tesco: http://speedtest.thaivisa.com Download speed: 58 KB/sec Upload speed: 3.5 KB/sec It's great for a backup (as my TOT regularly craps out for 24 hours or more at a time) or if you are tooling around the island, but as a primary Internet source it is not feasible for me. My $64,000 question is if the island police is using this same network for CCTV (as reported in a previous Gazette article), how in God's name are they uploading video (or even still images) from the cameras to a central server at 5 KB/sec ??? Cheers, Ignacio

just for information about your speedcheck with that link: http://speedtest.thaivisa.com/

i tried the same link today, 2.11.2007 7:50pm on a ADSL-line of my friend (chaweng)

(Goldcyber from TOT, 2048kbps download / 512kbps upload)

the results are......

http://speedtest.thaivisa.com/

197kbps download and 399kbps upload

same time i try this link

http://speedtest.adslthailand.com/

1738kbps download and 246kbps upload

something strange for me! :o:D:D

Chayaphum

Hi

18.15, any lower>>>>

Speed Test #39098796 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-10-31 08:17:19 EST

Download: 61 (Kbps)

Upload: 5 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 7.5 down 0.6 up

HDRIDER -

That's using the CCU650, in Kata?

Something is horribly wrong. I'll contact CAT and see if I can get an explanation.

I'll be demo'ing the CCU650 at the PC Group Therapy meeting in Patong on Sunday, November 11. It'll be interesting to see what kind of results we get.

Thanks for posting your speeds!

- Woody

Gerd -

My TOT and TT&T Internet connections are doing reasonably well early in the morning and late at night. Looks like you ran this at 9:00 pm, and it looks good.

Unfortunately, by 10:00 or so in the morning, speeds drop way down. DSLreports measures speeds to the west coast of the US down around 40 to 50 Kbps, and stay that way well into the evening.

EV-DO coverage thru CAT goes to most major populated areas in Thailand - EXCEPT Bangkok. You can even pick up EV-DO signals across the border in some parts of Burma, and out to sea for a kilometer or so.

Hutch owns the EV-DO concession in Bangkok. CAT EV-DO cards don't work on the Hutch network, and vice-versa.

The two promise they'll get their networks working together by the end of the year. The cynic in me wonders which year....

- Woody

Hi Woody

Yes, its the new card i have CCU 650

Right now 21.40:::: In Kata

Speed Test #39196387 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-11-02 10:40:29 EST

Download: 39 (Kbps)

Upload: 36 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 4.8 down 4.4 up

There you go been like that for 14 days, will have a CCU 650 for sale soon, just want a land line first.

Speed Test #39196507 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-11-02 10:43:13 EST

Download: 48 (Kbps)

Upload: 30 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 5.9 down 3.6 up

Woody

This is 07.20 this morning.

Speed Test #39221459 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-11-02 20:22:17 EST

Download: 231 (Kbps)

Upload: 73 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 28.2 down 8.9 up

Web pages are notoriously slow loading, but using a download manager such as Orbit, I average 50 Kilobytes (400kbps) downloading videos....some days much higher. Uploading, well, forget it. Ok for e-mail text messages but little else. I live in a fringe area with typically 1 or 2 bars signal strength showing, so I guess I can' t complain.