Catcdma

tamsin

Anyone know if they're going to introduce an upgrad of the CATCDMA modems? Just read on the Samui forum they're going to get a whole 1Mbit, as opposed to the miserly 230kbs I have here. No 'phone line, no choice.

did you tried out with a newer mobilephone and EDGE from AIS (1-2Call) ?

In some areas (provinces) they offer a speed up to 230kbits with EDGE.

I tried before in samui with nokia 6233 and the right usb-cable to the notebook, it works well :o

Do you have an USB-WiFi adapter or an PCMCIA-WiFi card?

Check your environment about some networks, i'll be shure there are a lot of it.

here some good products:

http://au.wifi-link.com/product.php?action...product_id=1126

or

http://au.wifi-link.com/product.php?action...product_id=1127

this products you can use everywhere in this world (and be shure, everywhere you will found some "open" networks for share)

The guy in the shop on samui told me before (about 3month ago), that the new

CDMA highspeed (1Mbit) PCMCIA-card will be cost about 14'000baht.......

some infos from there website

source: http://www.htil.com/eng/business/thailand_strategy.htm

"Hutchison CAT made its mark by creating a new segment in Thailand’s telecom industry. As the leading provider of value added services over its CDMA2000-1X network, Hutchison CAT is able to deliver a real time multimedia experience, as well as competitive voice service.

Teenagers and young professionals who love trendy and innovative technology are a critical target market. Unlike other Thai telecom operators, our customers can download multimedia services, such as video clips and music directly to their mobile phones. We lead the way with the most creative marketing campaigns aimed at brand awareness, highly competitive tariff plans and the truly distinctive services we offer.

In April 2007, CAT Telecom and Hutchison CAT announced the commencement of nationwide CDMA roaming service between CAT Telecom’s CDMA network in 51 upcountry provinces and the CDMA network in the 25 provinces where mobile services are marketed by Hutchison CAT. The CDMA nationwide roaming service allows customers of the CDMA mobile service to enjoy seamless CDMA voice and SMS service anywhere in Thailand. Both CAT Telecom and Hutchison CAT also plan to extend the roaming service arrangement to other CDMA services such as data and EV-DO in due course."

....if you want to have more speed with the CDMA you have to buy new hardware (PCMCIA-card or USB).

There is no upgrade possible for the older hardware.

Good luck

Dschook dee khrap

Chayaphum

The card (12900 last I heard) is not the bottleneck.. Its the network system.

If you have any links that list 1Mbit speeds on CAT CDMA I would love to see them.

sorry, no links :D

i have this informations from a shop in chaweng/samui,

the guy there want to show me this speed (1Mbit) but

i told him that time, i will use the WiFi Network from ITC Samui,

because i get a good signal from there and i no have to invest money

in new hardware.

i postet at the samui forum this last week:

Yeah, i think so....but for be shure and have actual infos read this:

for more infos u can try to call the CAT-Shop in Samui at 077 - 421130,

the mainoffice is in the same building as the postoffice in nathon,

or the CAT-Shop in Suratthani at 077 - 283050 - 9.

Another TIP, khun Tanawat Thipchit from the Samui IT Center in Chaweng

he speaks english/thai and he also sell hardware for CDMA, he told me about

that the new network on samui will go up to 1Mbit speed....ask him for more.

(his phones: 077 24 5981, 077 42 7178 or 01676 1442)

he has a shop about 200m on the right side before tesco-lotus in chaweng

good luck.... :o

Chayaphum

or check out this link: http://www.catcdma.com/contact/index.html

Hi

Its getting better:

kilobit/sec (kilobyte/sec)

Download speed: 1,289.61 (161.20) 100%

Upload speed: 71.64 (8.95) 48%

Surfspeed outside Thailand: 46.97 (5.87) 100%

Latency: 965 milliseconds

that's sounds very good... :o

but surfspeed outside LOS is very low, why?

CAT has the biggest bandspread to the international networks.

can i get this modem only true CAT-Telecom?

post-51795-1190119161_thumb.jpg

The card (12900 last I heard) is not the bottleneck.. Its the network system.

If you have any links that list 1Mbit speeds on CAT CDMA I would love to see them.

NEW:

http://www.catcdma.com/product/c-motech.html :D

Strange that page still lists 500 - 700k which is the speeds the older hardware was giving..

yeah....very strange :o

but everybody must know that nobody get what he pay for it :D

nowhere, same same in thailand.

If u have a ADSL contract with TOT or TT&T with a speed of 1024Kbit download.....

then be shure, you have to share this line/speed with many other customers.

No company in thailand tells you the share-ratio from your ADSL contract.

If people would like to pay a lot money per month (3000-6000bt)

then you will get a good speed at every time (mostly) because it's dependently

from the day- or nighttime and what website you want to visit (.de/.com/.co.th)

I believe it's the same story with CDMA/GPRS/EDGE or whatever.....

so in that case, i think if CAT says, 500-700Kbit download with CDMA

then they are very fair.......maybe sometime u will get a speed up to 1Mbit,

maybe in the nigthtime when the network is not overloaded....try it out :D

The hardware it's already prepared for more speed (up to 2,4Mbit)

but if the network do not support this....haha..we have to take what we get.

compared to the mobilephone network from AIS, sometime u will not get

a connection to another mobile in thailand with the same network....

both (900&1800Mhz) because the networkcells are fully or overloaded

with to many customers at the same time......no solution for that.

We have to accept this...

PS: the ITC company here on samui says the have a WiFi speed up to 6Mbit! Wow :D

...maybe, i never get this speed because you must share with everybody

and the international bandwidth is anyway only about 50% from the local speed,

sometimes better, sometimes more badly.

Chayaphum

Geoff/HDRider -

Could you run the test at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?loc=97 and tell me what you get when connecting to the US West Coast?

If the C-motech CDMA card can top 500 to 600 Kbps download consistently, it's working better than the AirCard 580.

C-motech's official specs are here: http://www.cmotech.com/english/products/pro_10.html . The site doesn't say if it's Rev. 0 or Rev. A (Rev. A is better at handling VoIP/Skype), but it's likely that the CCU-650 is Rev. 0, because the CCU-680 is Rev A. The rated theoretical download speed of 2.4 Mbps is pure marketing puffery, of course.

The C-motech driver is here: http://www.cmotech.com/english/customer/program.html but I can't tell if it'll work with Vista.

Thanks!

- Woody

Edited by woodyleonhard

The 790 Baht/month subscription also gives limitless SMS messages and 1,200 minutes of free telephone calls.....not a lot of people know that :o

http://www.catcdma.com/product/promotion.html

geoffphuket

Gonna have to learn some Thai...

They never mentioned this when I signed up. Has anyone tried an external antenna for this?

How can the USB modem be used for calls?

Speed-wise I think your location can have a very big bearing in this - at my last house it wouldn't work at all, new house working fairly well, albeit not getting anywhere near the speeds mentioned in this thread.

Very handy - used it in Phuket Town, Patong, and Kata so far without hitch. Heading to Nakhon Phanom this week so will test it there as well.

Geoff/HDRider -

Could you run the test at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?loc=97 and tell me what you get when connecting to the US West Coast?

Speed Test #37600812 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-09-30 02:26:19 EST

Download: 375 (Kbps)

Upload: 30 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 45.8 down 3.6 up

Tested by server: 55 java

User: 2 @ dslreports.com

User's DNS: cat.net.th

Speed Test #37600973 by dslreports.com

Run: 2007-09-30 02:32:51 EST

Download: 184 (Kbps)

Upload: 27 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 22.5 down 3.3 up

Tested by server: 55 java

User: 2 @ dslreports.com

User's DNS: cat.net.th

My location isn't the may-west - using the USB CCU-650

Interesting.

About six months ago, the AirCard 580 was giving pretty consistent 400 to 500 Kbps download speeds in Phuket to the US West coast. Sounds like either the CCU-650 is inherently slower and/or there's more traffic now than there was when I ran the original tests and/or you're in a marginal area - or possibly all three.

If anybody else has DSLreports results, I'd sure appreciate hearing about them. I'll write it up for the Phuket Gazette.

Thanks!

- Woody

Did the test for you also. ( I have the cdma modem from CAT)

75/46 (75 down/ 46 up) 1st test

41/17 2nd test ( pretty slow.)

Now i know why it's hard to upload pics in the daytime. thanks for the link.

Edited by fiddlehead

OUCH!

Is that K bits per second or K bytes per second?

CAT has two different technologies on offer. One is the B 10,900 CCU-650 (which is the replacement for the Sierra Wireless AirCard 580). The other is a whole group of phones, modems, and other devices, which you can see here: http://www.catcdma.com/product/index.html .

If you have the CCU-650 or AirCard 580, you should be getting speeds between 300 and 500 Kbps down (that's K bits per second), measured by DSLReports, from Phuket to a location on the US West Coast. I don't know how fast those cards run outside of Phuket, but I'd love to see some figures.

If you have any of the other devices, you'll get one-fifth to one-tenth that speed. They don't use the "EV-DO Rev 0" technology that's built into the CCU-650 and AirCard 580.

Complicated, eh?

Not sure if it were bits or bytes.

It was the score i got from the link you provided: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?loc=97

I realize i have super slow connection

Problem is, #1 i don't have a phone line. and it doesn't look good for getting one soon.

I would fork over the 10,900 baht but am enjoying the fact that what i do have so far is free.

I will probably upgrade next year.

I went in and told them that they have yet to send me a bill (since March 13, 2007) and they said it was a promotion and they should start billing soon.

Wicked slow in the middle of the day. i can live with it. I'm not downloading much.

OUCH!

Is that K bits per second or K bytes per second?

CAT has two different technologies on offer. One is the B 10,900 CCU-650 (which is the replacement for the Sierra Wireless AirCard 580). The other is a whole group of phones, modems, and other devices, which you can see here: http://www.catcdma.com/product/index.html .

If you have the CCU-650 or AirCard 580, you should be getting speeds between 300 and 500 Kbps down (that's K bits per second), measured by DSLReports, from Phuket to a location on the US West Coast. I don't know how fast those cards run outside of Phuket, but I'd love to see some figures.

If you have any of the other devices, you'll get one-fifth to one-tenth that speed. They don't use the "EV-DO Rev 0" technology that's built into the CCU-650 and AirCard 580.

Complicated, eh?

Yes it is. My head's gone all swimmy. Are you saying that if I pop off to CAT and pay them more money, I'd be able to upload jpegs? I have a desktop, by the way, not a laptop, would this be a problem?

What connection methos are you using..

If its the 'fixed wireless terminal' thats a lot slower than the USB modem or the PC aircard..

It's the CATCDMA Huwaei telephone style modem - 3,900 from CAT and 600THB(?) (forget - never had a bill) per month.

Thats why its slow then..

You have bought the old style CDMA equipment that only runs at a fraction of the max speeds.. You need to buy the 'CDMA 2000' equipment (it costs a lot more) think its 13k for the PC card (aircard) and 11k for the USB new one.