Marriage

Hi, as your properbly aware im due to marry my thai girl in the next couple of months and where making the sv.

What i want to know is, how soon after we marry does her surname change to mine???

Cheers......

Pretty much up to you and the new wife.  Thai law was changed a few years back and no longer requires that the wife take the husband's last name, optional these days.

Mac

It'll only change if she goes to her Amphur to change it (she can do that anytime) and it is up to you whether she does that or continues to live with her current name.

There are no problems if she chooses to continue with her current Thai name in UK

You should make sure, however, that the passport, SV application and hopefully the air ticket have the same name, whatever it is.

So if we was to marry tomorrow would my girls surname change to my surname? we both want that to happen.

The reason i ask is, im making the visa before we marry, then all we have to put inside is our marriage paper and her i.d, passport etc etc.

I dont want to state her name with my surname on the visa only for us to have to wait for some reason for it to be changed.

So as soon as we sign the paper, her surname will be same as mine???

Thanks

no scotty, it isn't an automatic procedure. She has to go to the amphur to get it changed but it doesn't take long. Then get the id card and passport changed to your surname. We got the step daughter a passport the other week and that only took about 3 days to arrive by post.

So if we was to marry tomorrow would my girls surname change to my surname? we both want that to happen.

The reason i ask is, im making the visa before we marry, then all we have to put inside is our marriage paper and her i.d, passport etc etc.

I dont want to state her name with my surname on the visa only for us to have to wait for some reason for it to be changed.

Thanks

Scotty

As I said above, her surname will not change unless she changes it at the Amphur where she is registered as living, nothing is automatic.

If you wish to share the same name then after you marry she will have to go to her home Amphur office and request the change, get a new ID card and with that ID card apply for a passport in her new name (as I believe they dont endorse a passport with a name change any more).

How can you make your SV application before you marry? what will you present as the marriage certificate?

To travel to UK sharing a name you must.

1) Marry

2) Go to her Amphur office with marriage certificate and change her name and obtain a new ID card

3) Apply for a new passport in her new name

4) Apply for the SV

If you are booking air tickets make sure her name on the booking matches the name in the passport she travels on.

My girls passport is up for renewing in november, we are to marry in december, so she may as well wait until we have married to renew it yes??

We are to marry at the amphur in phetchabun so after we marry can we straight away apply for her surname to change to mine?

Does this take 3 days? then we have to make her a new i.d card right? then we will have to wait another 3 days for her new passport before we make the visa.

This sound about right???

My girls passport is up for renewing in november, we are to marry in december, so she may as well wait until we have married to renew it yes??

We are to marry at the amphur in phetchabun so after we marry can we straight away apply for her surname to change to mine?

Does this take 3 days? then we have to make her a new i.d card right? then we will have to wait another 3 days for her new passport before we make the visa.

This sound about right???

You got it Scotty

She requests the name change and new ID card at the same time although I dont think it should take 3 days (hopefully someone who's done it can comment). It will take 3 days to issue a new passport.

Thanks

scotty, as soon as you have done the procedure at the amphur office they will change the name in her housebook and she can get a new id card. If she already has a passport then not needed to change but ofcourse you can have that changed as well. I always have to think twice when ordering tickets, international and domestic UK is her maiden name and domestic thai is her married name. Maybe time to get that passport changed

My girl says if we bung them a few baht in an envelope then they will speed up the marriage certificate :o this true do you think?

not at all as it is free (or 20 baht) and it will take not longer then 1 or 2 hours depending on how busy it is.

it does however work to pay double fee at the ministry of foreign affairs as the translation certifications are then done in 2 hours instead of next day, but that is advertised price so nothing secret

Right ill run it by you as i think we shall do it.

My girls passport runs out in november so renewing it then would be a waste of time as we would have to get her another one a month later after we marry, and for her to have my surname.

I write up an affirmation form and present it to the embassy, wait for that to be picked up then get it translated into thai.

Take the stamped, translated affirmation to the ministery of foreign affairs to be authorised.

What does my girl have to do during this time in bkk? it says on the website she needs a house of registeration certificate, how does she gets this?

Travel to her home in wichienburi where i present my authorised affirmation along with my passport at the amphur while my girl presents her i.d card copy of her divorce paper.

After signing to marry she applies for her name change, wait for that, then travel back to bangers to make her passport.

Wait 3 days, put in with the visa, jobs a good en.

Also do we need to get the marriage certificate translated into English??

Does that sound about right???

What does my girl have to do during this time in bkk? it says on the website she needs a house of registeration certificate, how does she gets this?

Travel to her home in wichienburi where i present my authorised affirmation along with my passport at the amphur while my girl presents her i.d card copy of her divorce paper.

After signing to marry she applies for her name change, wait for that, then travel back to bangers to make her passport.

Wait 3 days, put in with the visa, jobs a good en.

Also do we need to get the marriage certificate translated into English??

Does that sound about right???

every thai has a housebook (family) and believe me she knows what it is so don't worry on that one

indeed go to her amphur (and take 2 witnesses though most of the time the Amphur will be able to help in that aspect (but not in Bangkok where they got more difficult lately)

Marriage certificate needs translated but that can again been done at the many agencies at wireless road. And I would get the translation stamped by the ministry of foreign affairs again to make sure

Scotty

I have just changed my surname to my husbands it only took half an hour to get it done (well my Amphur was not too busy I guess) they changed both ID card and name in house registration at the same time your wife will need it when changing by the way because they asked for it when I did mine and I'm sure she knows what it is. I believe that all Thais have themselves registered in the house registration (each house registration may contains more than one occupant, most of the time there are the whole family together in one book)

anyway, after I finished my name changed and got my ID card from Amphur I went to do my passport which took 3 days to get at the cost of 1000Baht (cheaper than when I got my first one lol)

Srisuda

Thanks everyone for there great help, i must be doing peoples heads in going over and over and over the same thing, so i will ask this one last question.

1. WHAT DO I NEED TO MARRY MY GIRL

I will have my passport and certified/authorised affirmation, is there anything else i need?

2. WHAT DOES MY GIRL NEED TO MARRY ME

She will have her divorce certificate, i.d card, is there anything else she needs?

We will change her surname after the visa, to save all the hassle.

Thanks.

Scotty

1. WHAT DO I NEED TO MARRY MY GIRL

I will have my passport and certified/authorised affirmation, is there anything else i need?

you need your passport and certified/authoried affirmation that's all you need.

2. WHAT DOES MY GIRL NEED TO MARRY ME

She will have her divorce certificate, i.d card, is there anything else she needs?

We will change her surname after the visa, to save all the hassle.

she needs her divorce certificate,ID card, and her house registration and don't forget to bring 2 witnesses (can be her parents)

I'm sure she knows what it is, in Thai we call 'Sum ma no krua Ta bian baan' you can say to her this one she will get it for sure. That's house registration in Thai I hope that help.

Srisuda