Adsl In Chiang Mai

MartinBKK

I have just moved to Chiang Mai and am looking to set up my ADSL connection.

I would be grateful if you could suggest the best service/company. I am not concerned with price, only with reliability and speed.

I have a TOT telephone line.

Thanks.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

I would be grateful if you could suggest the best service/company. I am not concerned with price, only with reliability and speed.

Thanks.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi

I have been using Buddy Broad Band for over a year now, on a TOT phone line, and have no real complain about it, a bit slow and sluggish sometime, but it is OK. The setting at the beginning has been a bit complicated, I had to go a few times back to the shop who sold it to me, but since then it has been OK.

I pay 700 bahts a month for a 512 Mb connection ( you can pay online on their site , which you can only access through their modem...) You can check if your phone number can be used on http://www.buddybb.net/checkarea/ (but it is all in Thai ) or maybe call their hotline assistance number at 02 640 4888.

Hopes this helps, good luck...

Phil

For reliability Loxinfo has been hailed earlier, the tradeoff being that they charge more for their service, and throttle BitTorrent during daytime.

3-4 years ago True cable modem internet would have been my recommendation, but it seems they now have too many subscribers to deliver anything better than the regular ADSL services.

Not sure if this info is still valid - are there any Loxinfo users in the forum?

The others seem to be a bit hit and miss - all of them have downperiods now and then, and the speed can get very slow at times.

For reliability Loxinfo has been hailed earlier, the tradeoff being that they charge more for their service, and throttle BitTorrent during daytime.

3-4 years ago True cable modem internet would have been my recommendation, but it seems they now have too many subscribers to deliver anything better than the regular ADSL services.

Not sure if this info is still valid - are there any Loxinfo users in the forum?

The others seem to be a bit hit and miss - all of them have downperiods now and then, and the speed can get very slow at times.

Thank you for the replies. I will check out the suggested companies.

Thanks.

You have a TOT telephone line - so consider the TOT ADSL offering.

They have just changed their pricing plan.

1024/256 plan is now 500 baht / month (plus any setup costs). The new 2048/512 plan is now 1000 baht / month.

That is for unlimited time / unlimited download - ALWAYS ON.

I just checked my connection with a Bangkok server (www.speedtest.net) - and achieved 933/208.

Of course different sites - different countries - will give differing results. But I can regularly achieve full download speeds from good overseas sites. Some TOT ADSL ports will be "shared" - so peak times see speeds not as good as other times - but TOT claim you should get at least a 75% connection speed to advertised speed.

Go for the 2048/512 speed in Chiang Mai for 1000 baht per month. That amount is added to your monthly telephone account.

When I connected with TOT - I wasnt happy with the speed achieved - so TOT technician came to the house and checked all cables / connections / and made some tweaks. No charge.

My TOT connection package included a Modem - although of an inferior quality. I bought my own.

The owner of the TOT Telephone account at your address, needs to apply for the ADSL connection at a TOT office.

As always - your first question though must be = "Is there an ADSL port free for me at the exchange hosting my telephone number".

Dont get suckered into being accepted onto their "waiting list".

Apart from the occasional down-time from TOT - I have had hassle free service from them for 2 years.

Their help line has English speaking staff - although in Bangkok - but dont expect them to solve anything too technical.

The owner of the TOT Telephone account at your address, needs to apply for the ADSL connection at a TOT office.

Both TT&T and TOT will accept a lease document as proof of residence for an ADSL connection.

I get billed in my own name on a separate account each month.

Edited by Maejo Man

MaxNet is Great! I got the maxnet@indy 1mb service late last December and often got 865kbps download for a couple of weeks. Of course the Taiwan earth quake caused some problems, but within a couple of months it was working well again... although more around the 600kbps range. Of course, @indy is designed only for Thailand (oh, did you want International Internet Access???) Well, for International Internet, you should get the Premier Service.

They have now apparently doubled the speed... my destop icon shows connected at 2.5mb!! WooHoo! I check the speed using speednet.com to L.A. almost every day and I am now pretty consistenly getting about 450/130kbps down/up, although this morning and yesterday those pesky kids must be playing games a lot, so am only getting 224/119 which is great for email.

And I have my system set to auto redial when connection is lost, which I don't think happens more than a dozen times a day, and usually it is able to reconnect before the auto redailer gets tired of trying to reconnect.

Although I often have problems with USP servers in the U.S. refusing to accept email from me (because of spam problems from TT&T Maxnet and have simply blocked all email from here) this problem is usually resolved in a month or so. Currently only cannot contact anyone with @comcast.com or @myway.com, so it's not a big problem... I can always call my brother on the phone and simply tell him how funny the video clips I tried to email him are and he really laughs.

So, to sum up Maxnet@indy is really great for email to most address most of the time... and only costs 1,070 baht a month... It's not recommended by me if you want to download any video unless you are patient... and video that can only be streamed requires great exercise with your Jai Yen, which is a very good thing to develop, right?

I'm sure that Maxnet will only get better in the future unless they continue to add more customers without adding to the infrastructure, which seems to be what they do... but people can change, right?

@msn.com also blocking mail from maxnet (again)... Had this problem before...

And to answer OP question with a personal quote "you seldom get more than you pay for".... if money no object I think you can get some ###### decent internet here for 27,500 baht per month.... and even 7,000 probably pretty good. But since all International Internet is by law required to go through a government agency, there is no private competition, so expect the same great service you get from any government bureaucracy. If you want good internet ask if you will get a 'fixed IP address'... and be sure to ask if service good for Internation Internet. Amazing how quickly they'll sell u a service that is mainly designed for Domestic use... which is what most of the internet traffic here is...

Personally, I'm sick of the idiots at TT&T and will find another ISP to be disgusted with tomorrow... I know that when they say 1mb that only 85% of that speed is possible because of 'internet overhead'... but they misrepresent the service and then fail to give you even 50% of what you think you are buying... I cannot stand to give them another satang... Adios MaxNet.

• 2 weeks later...

For all my past touting of having flawless service I seem to be having mucho interruptions with my adsl yesterday n today. Low bandwidth or something. Every other click on a link, or attempt to open another website gets met with "Firefox cannot find the server....." I use ji-net, but I don't think that's the problem. Anybody else got slow or off/on connection problems today ?? I"m able to post this, so you see eventually it works, just I'm getting a low ratio of actual ability to click thru and get where I'm trying to go.

Seeing as you're on a TOT line, you can scrub MaxNet off your list, as it's TT&T exclusive.

As noted, TOT do 1mbps for 500 + VAT and 2mbps for 1000 + VAT. As with all 20-50:1 ADSL plans, expect your speed to drop dramatically below advertised during peak hours, or pretty much all the time if your local exchange is full of DSL clients.

The only way to get better and/or more relaible speeds is to get yourself onto a plan with a lower share ratio. You'll need to talk to the big independant ISP's for this rather than your telco though. Here's some links:

Jasmine Internet

KSC Internet

CS Loxinfo

And a local outfit that seems to be rebranding Ji-Net services:

CM Internet

As noted by another poster, TOT's ADSL help desk is only open during business hours Mon-Fri, and their English skills range from poor to non-existant. If TOT ADSL goes down after 4PM on a Friday, do not expect it to be back up before Monday lunch. Do expect it to go down every other weekend though - I did two months on a TOT plan before it became just too much to bear. That said, I was on a Jasmine Internet DSL plan for 6+ Months and had no qualms at all - it wasn't as cheap as the high share ratio plans, but it did work as advertised and I only changed providers as a result of a house move. Recommended.

My TT&T ADSL line goes down aabout 5 times every evening for the past 5-6 weeks, and super slow when it's not down. I would have dumped them by now, but I've tried most of the others and they stink too. I got to thinking today the really poor service might have started just about the time YouTube got unblocked. I'm down the klong road near Hang Dong and I know TT&T says they have problems out this way. Anyone in this area (Ban Nai Fun) have a provider you're happy with?

Edited by lannarebirth

Thanks.

I now have TT & T Max Net. After 1 year (this August) they said my service would go to 2048 Kbps. Didn't mention that they just had a new promotion offering the same thing to another 500,000 new customers, so I now have the equivalent of smoke signals. I can't get JACK!! If it got any slower, it would stop. Seriously sucks, and get the usual crap from their office...."it may be your Condo...". Take TT & T if U want to go cheap, but it's speed is glacial. The 7 Year Itch is faster. If you want High Speed, have heard that CAT offers good wireless at a pricey start but excellent speed. Right now, almost all suck. Am still looking, and will give you the poop on Cat. Checking the next few days. Don't use or believe anything TT & T tells you.