Living In Thailand

Am new to this forum, but am totally confused as what visa I need to legally remain in Thailand. I am a 54 year old Englishman with a Thai wife. We are aiming to quit the U.K. next year and settle in Thailand. We are considering the purchase of some buy to let properties. Should we buy any properties in my wife's name, or should we form a company, if so is this hard (or expensive) to do? I understand that I could then get a work permit, is this difficult? Any practical advice would be most appreciated, as the more I read the more befuddled I am.

I am a 54 year old Englishman with a Thai wife.
I can understand why you're confused. You have several options, one visa based on marriage and the other on retirement.

First apply for a "O" visa at Hull or Birmingham. In my opinion, this should be based on being married to a Thai wife. You'll need 400,000 Baht in a bank account later in Thailand. For now you just need to show your marriage certificate and your wives house ID.

The disadvantage of a extension of stay visa based on being married to a Thai national, is God forbid something happens with your wife. You would have to change the visa based on marriage to retirement. Not a big problem. The other disadvantage is your wife has to go down with you once a year for the interview and they'll check from time to time if you're really living together. You can get a work permit as well on this type of visa.

You have the option as well of applying for a retirement visa as well. However you will need 800,000 Baht in the bank. Does not seem that would be a problem if you're looking to buy property but if you are looking to obtain a work permit, the odds are you would not obtain one with a retirement visas. ( Cases have been reported however an applicant was able to)

Should we buy any properties in my wife's name, or should we form a company, if so is this hard (or expensive) to do?

You can own any building in your name but not the land. Again you have options

1. Putting it in your wife name. You'll have to dissolve any rights to the land.

2. Leasing the land for 30 years plus an option of 30 years.

3. Owning shares of a company that owned the land. If you own more than 39% of the shares you may be investigated by the Central Land dept if you getting around the land ownership laws. If the company only owns land, NEVER go higher than 39%! If you own up to 49% of the shares, not frowned on if you own a business that is trading as well. Even though you are a minor shareholders, their are legal strategies to protect your investment. Not difficult to form a company if you have lawyers do it. Doing it yourself, I'm afraid it might be easier to take a rocket ship to Pluto. Even if you had Thai friends helping you. You just would not know if your interests are being protected. Legal on forming a company is 3,900 Baht. With tax id, corp id, government fees add 14,690

I understand that I could then get a work permit, is this difficult?
If the company just owns land.... yes it would be difficult. Not so much at first but in the following year. If its trading...its very much possible to get a work permit The legal is 7,800 Baht.
? Any practical advice would be most appreciated, as the more I read the more befuddled I am.

Any questions please ask. Remember though, just like a heart operation, you can learn steps but you never would try it yourself. You simply would give up half way thru. In this case, our firm helps a number of people in your shoes having low rates. You have the option of using a number of firms. If you don't use ours, please for your sake use another firm to help. It's the best advice I can give.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask more questions if you like to know more about the process.

www.sunbeltasia.com

Sunbelt has given you a good outline but would like to change his wording to "personal ID card or passport" rather than "wives house ID" if they don't mind. There is a house registration document but that is not what is required for an overseas visa application.