Good Service In Thailand!

soundman

Moving into a newly built house this week - It was time to shop for appliances.

Finalised which items I was going to buy - went down to the shop I had been negotiating with and concluded the purchase.

Bought an aircon unit, refrigerator & hot water unit.

Walked out of the shop at 11.30am yesterday.

Aircon guys turned up at 12.30pm. Refrigerator was delivered 1.00pm. Hot water guy turned up 1.00pm.

All finished by 2.30pm, everything was straight, no messy wiring, all holes filled & all tested & working. :D

Three hour turnaround! :D

And to top it off, all mess, dust, rubble etc was cleaned spotlessly without me even having to mention a thing. :D

Unbelievable! TIT? Honestly after having experienced typical Thai service many times before & read hundreds of tales of woe on this forum I was shocked.... :o

Anybody else have some eye opening experiences to share about Thai tradesmen? Good, bad or just plain bizzare?

Cheers,

Soundman.

The other day I had my card skimmed in an ATM at about 3.20..................I informed the petrol station but the skimmer had gone.....I then went to the nearest branch of my bank and told them what had happened......

my problem was to empty my A/C before the crims did. The bank was closed but the international side was still open. I explained the situation.

I needed to stop the card or get a replacement or get all the cash out of the A/C. Unfortunately I couldn't get it all out because of my daily limit. I then tried to reset it but it asked for my passport number so I went out to my car to get it.

On returning the staff informed me that they would open the bank again and issue me with a new card (normally you need to go to your own branch for this).

So they unlocked the doors and let me in and I left about 30 minutes later with a new PIN a new card, and a new updated bank-book!

This on the same week I was issued with a D/L in 50 minutes, taxed my car in 20 minutes and saved 1000 baht on the insurance......

I love a good whinge but sometimes they just don't give you a chance!

Finalised which items I was going to buy - went down to the shop I had been negotiating with and concluded the purchase.

Aircon guys turned up at 12.30pm. Refrigerator was delivered 1.00pm. Hot water guy turned up 1.00pm.

All finished by 2.30pm, everything was straight, no messy wiring, all holes filled & all tested & working. :D

And to top it off, all mess, dust, rubble etc was cleaned spotlessly without me even having to mention a thing. :D

Unbelievable! TIT? Honestly after having experienced typical Thai service many times before & read hundreds of tales of woe on this forum I was shocked.... :o

Anybody else have some eye opening experiences to share about Thai tradesmen? Good, bad or just plain bizzare?

Cheers,

Soundman.

Stranger things have happened.

i have also had great service.

1. from TOT when the adsl was playing up , 2 engineers arrived within 30 mins. of my call to the help line and fixed the glitch.

2. from whirlpool , when the fridge started making strange noises , they came the next day at exactly the pre arranged time and put in a new compressor under guarantee.

3. first rate service from toyota in hua hin.

4. furniture deliveries from thai companies , on time.

5. blinds fitted , and he even brought a vacuum cleaner to clean up the dust from his drilling.

the electric company , the banks and immigration leave a lot to be desired in terms of customer service though.

all the tradesmen have been friendly , professional , polite and efficient ,

...... some horror stories as well , but thats another thread.

- getting a Thai passport done.....incredibly efficient.

- paying your taxes...also incredibly efficient (grumble :o)

- my credit card company rang me when I made a large purchase to check it was me.

- at the end of the day, Thai banks poo all over UK banks. The call centre isn't staffed by some bored bird making 4 quid an hour and doesn't know the answer to the question. A transfer of money doesn't take 3 days and they don't charge me $2.50 to make a withdrawl at another bank like they do in OZ.

Face it, alot of us like to live here because many many things in our lives are made easier than they would be at home. Sure there are frustrations, but at the end of the day, I think it works out in your favour!

Face it, alot of us like to live here because many many things in our lives are made easier than they would be at home. Sure there are frustrations, but at the end of the day, I think it works out in your favour!

Ditto those sentiments. Things aren't perfect here, but I find many services far more convenient here than back home:

1. Can visit a hospital and see a doctor within 10 minutes, get my test results within a half hour, and pick up my medicine at the same place when it is all done. Try that back home (USA).

2. Passport office for my wife and kids--World class operation.

3. When I need to run an errand I just hail a motorcycle on our soi, who will then get whatever I need for 10-20 Baht.

4. Customs and Immigration in Thailand-Completely painless compared to my experiences when I return to the US for visits.

5. 3 Air cons installed at different times, great job, same day.

6. When I bring my computer in for repairs it is looked at right away. I also have a choice of about 30 repair outfits in one location.

7. Visited my folks back home a month ago. Father had a favorite watch but the stem had fallen off. For the cost of fixing it there he could have bought two watches so he was going to reluctantly throw it away. I took it back with me, dropped it off at a watch repair stall, and it was repaired 15 minutes later for 250 Baht.

...and so on

I think the biggest difference between here and back home is that you can get things done while you wait that would take waits of days or weeks back home.

Edited by qualtrough

Cheers,

Soundman.

I've had lots of wonderful service in Thailand and some just as awful as the rest of the world. Too many falangs brings bad service, money is too easy and all falangs want it NOW

Try a govt hospital before you glorify waiting times - I have spent a lot of time in one - the treatment I received was OK and the hospital well equiped but the health service in Thailand is grossly understaffed and underfunded. If you have money you ccan go to a private hospital which has fast service, clean TVs etc but the care is no better than anywhere else.

Well I am glad to see that I am not the only one complaining about good service! :D

Have to agree, the Thai Passport centre on Jaeng Wattanna is the most effecient govt. service I have ever seen.

And Samran - you are 100% correct about tax and utility bill collection. :D Very effecient & certainly in-convenient at times. :o