Places To Hang Out In Chaweng

paul1970

On my way to Chaweng for a couple of weeks and just thought if someone can give me some pointers of where to hang, any suggestions where to watch the rugby world cup, where to have a hassle free beer, where to find the talent, and any good eats would be appreciated. I live in Pattaya and I've heard that there are no a go-go type establishments in Chaweng, is this correct ? Thanks for any suggestions.

On my way to Chaweng for a couple of weeks and just thought if someone can give me some pointers of where to hang, any suggestions where to watch the rugby world cup, where to have a hassle free beer, where to find the talent, and any good eats would be appreciated. I live in Pattaya and I've heard that there are no a go-go type establishments in Chaweng, is this correct ? Thanks for any suggestions.

Thats all depending on where in chaweng you will live, and if you got a vehicle. If you live on the beach you wont need any recommendations when it comes to food and beers. The long beachroad is packed with restaurants and bars. You can find anykind of food there, italian, brazilian, european, and so on. But be prepared that there is a lot of tourists!! Only thing in that area that might be tricky to find is real thaifood,hahaha!

Soi reggae (near chaweng lake) have alot of ladybars but im not sure if theres some go-go. If you do have a vehicle i have alot of restaurants to recommend outside chaweng-area, since you live in Thailand i think you will not approve to much of the touristprices in chaweng. But by far there is the biggest selection. There is a whole thread in this forum about restaurants in samui, check that out.

Just a warning. Don't think you can hop on a baht bus for 10 baht. Even the motorbike taxi's charge a minimum 200 baht for a 4km journey from tesco lotus to cheweng

Wow, thats a bit steep for Thai standards. What about the air conditioned taxis in Chaweng, do they use the meter like in BKK, or do you have to haggle a price ?

Just a warning. Don't think you can hop on a baht bus for 10 baht. Even the motorbike taxi's charge a minimum 200 baht for a 4km journey from tesco lotus to cheweng

Wow, thats a bit steep for Thai standards. What about the air conditioned taxis in Chaweng, do they use the meter like in BKK, or do you have to haggle a price ?

These threads should answer your question on that...

Yellow Cabs

Yellow Cabs 2

Not trying to scare you off, but its been a big issue recently

Edited by Noodles

These threads should answer your question on that...

Yellow Cabs

Yellow Cabs 2

Not trying to scare you off, but its been a big issue recently

I smell another taxi thread coming.

So I'll contribute:

check out this recent article in Samui Express, Taxi overpricing pesters tourists

Hahahaha. Taximeter on samui. Its been said already, in this forum. No you wont be able to use yellow cabs on this island if you dont want to pay redicoulus amount of money, plus stand the chans of meeting someone who tell you one price when you jump in and once you are in drive you to the middle of nowhere and charge you doubble to drive you back. They are (in my oppinion, anyway) a completly crazy maffia with the intention to scare tourists off the island forever with their high prices. Dont use them.

Cheapest way to go around is offcourse to rent your own bike, if you drive one. On the drinking-nights you can use motorbike taxis. And a minimum 200 baht sounds high in my ears? The people i talk to who use their service say the are pretty discent in price if you bargain a little. But ok, i dont have much experience in using this service myself. Back to main question, you wont get anyone on this island to put on the taximeter, if they even have one in the car. Government seem pretty blind in this issue. They think it is something that sometimes happen, that a taxidriver overcharge a tourist. I say it is a general rule.

Hahahaha. Taximeter on samui. Its been said already, in this forum. No you wont be able to use yellow cabs on this island if you dont want to pay redicoulus amount of money, plus stand the chans of meeting someone who tell you one price when you jump in and once you are in drive you to the middle of nowhere and charge you doubble to drive you back. They are (in my oppinion, anyway) a completly crazy maffia with the intention to scare tourists off the island forever with their high prices. Dont use them.

Cheapest way to go around is offcourse to rent your own bike, if you drive one. On the drinking-nights you can use motorbike taxis. And a minimum 200 baht sounds high in my ears? The people i talk to who use their service say the are pretty discent in price if you bargain a little. But ok, i dont have much experience in using this service myself. Back to main question, you wont get anyone on this island to put on the taximeter, if they even have one in the car. Government seem pretty blind in this issue. They think it is something that sometimes happen, that a taxidriver overcharge a tourist. I say it is a general rule.

its not general .its gospel......

tropical murphys for sport food and entertainment. crystls restaurant just food very good and cheap on the junction of beach road and lam din market road. p chewang guest house for accomadation not on beach but good. and dont use the metered taxi's

I've heard that there are no a go-go type establishments in Chaweng, is this correct ?

no.

4 iirc:

dreamgirls

club 69

GB lounge

charlie's angels

they're all within a stones throw of each other in the green mango area. loads of other bars around that area and along the beach road too.

lamai beach is worth a look if you've never been to samui. it's about a 10-20 minute drive from chaweng. not as big or busy as chaweng but still has restaurants/bars/clubs etc.

Edited by game4shame

you might fancy a night at q bar - not as good as it's bkk namesake IMO but you could give it a shot. best at weekends.

also reggae pub and it's surrounding bars. not really my cup of tea but - if new to samui - take a look.

depending on where you're staying, you'll probably need a taxi to both q bar and reggae.

tbh green mango area is probably your best bet for a night out.

Why not try Viking Bar located in Soi Green Mango? Best happy hour price for beers on the strip. You get 3 bottles of Chang beer for only 100Baht!!!!. And the vodka buckets are 24cl per bucket!!!! No girls to hassle you to buy drinks for them. And you can choose your own music (if there are not too many on the list already) plus great fresh popcorn. Of course, you get to watch the favourite sports as well.

:D:D:o

Why not try Viking Bar located in Soi Green Mango? Best happy hour price for beers on the strip. You get 3 bottles of Chang beer for only 100Baht!!!!. And the vodka buckets are 24cl per bucket!!!! No girls to hassle you to buy drinks for them. And you can choose your own music (if there are not too many on the list already) plus great fresh popcorn. Of course, you get to watch the favourite sports as well.

Hahaha. Stop promoting viking bar,. We already figured this is your place a long time ago. :D

By the way, i do occasionaly enjoy your 100 bath/tre bottle chang!! It is a great place in the middle of expenses, but i gotta say it is one of the most boring bars in the whole island. Absolutely NOTHING going on exept for a few swedich tourist with alot off attitude sitting in the way of nice looking thaigirls with no attitude, hahahaha.

I think the name attract these tourists. And me being from sweden dont enjoy that. Id say, spend the extra money on the chang and find a place with something going on. Alot of the places in green mango area is great. Viking bar??....Hmmmmmmm. No. Try it out though. Cheapest beer in the area, i personaly think seven eleven is more fun and even cheaper. :D

Meaning?? Jody khoo, you had 5 posts the last months about your place. It is enought. Advertising is not aloud actually.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mattias

Sorry if you find us boring. Guess everyone's needs is different. If you want action, try Heaven bar. :D

And yes, we can never beat the price in 7-11 or Family Mart. After all, you get to stand by the walk way, drink your beers and watch the traffic that passes by :o

:D

Hahaha. Stop promoting viking bar,. We already figured this is your place a long time ago. :D

By the way, i do occasionaly enjoy your 100 bath/tre bottle chang!! It is a great place in the middle of expenses, but i gotta say it is one of the most boring bars in the whole island. Absolutely NOTHING going on exept for a few swedich tourist with alot off attitude sitting in the way of nice looking thaigirls with no attitude, hahahaha.

I think the name attract these tourists. And me being from sweden dont enjoy that. Id say, spend the extra money on the chang and find a place with something going on. Alot of the places in green mango area is great. Viking bar??....Hmmmmmmm. No. Try it out though. Cheapest beer in the area, i personaly think seven eleven is more fun and even cheaper. :D

Meaning?? Jody khoo, you had 5 posts the last months about your place. It is enought. Advertising is not aloud actually.

I think advertising motor bike rental is also not allowed on this site, this is something that you are doing via your profile!!!

Just in case no one has told you 7-11 is a store, er, not a bar. Viking Bar is a, well its a bar.

Hi Mattias

Sorry if you find us boring. Guess everyone's needs is different. If you want action, try Heaven bar. :D

And yes, we can never beat the price in 7-11 or Family Mart. After all, you get to stand by the walk way, drink your beers and watch the traffic that passes by :D

For sure. (comersial allowed o the visa i guess.....?) Anyway, everybody seen already that the forum-rules is different from post to post..who cares. We are all happy.

Viking bar is great. Its good. I like it., Sorry if anything else came up. I just wanna make fun of you comersial on the forum, witch normaly is not allowed, but there is seriously nothing at all wrong with vikingbar. Cheap beer and Swedich guests (who ever likes that).

By the way, since promoting now seems to be ok on the forum, i would say in soi green mango there is a few bars that are good: Blessing bar for instans. And green mango itself.

And already mentioned viking bar if you want to drink cheap beer chang (3 for 100 baht, dirt cheap, get drunk, have fun,).

:o

I think advertising motor bike rental is also not allowed on this site, this is something that you are doing via your profile!!!

Just in case no one has told you 7-11 is a store, er, not a bar. Viking Bar is a, well its a bar.

Hey, this is not my post. Someone is using my computer and just typed in the post while I was busy working .....!!!!!!

By the way, in case no one is aware, the following bars in Soi Green Mango are closed currently:

- Mint Bar (under renovation)

- Kangaroo Bar ( under renovation)

- London Inn (under renovation)

- Crash Bar (waiting to be sold)

- Havana Club (under renovation)

Although I haven't personally been to Viking or Samui (YET), I've asked a couple of folks who've been there and they really seem to enjoy the chill-out ambience and love the Shot Challenge too. I am dying to see one of those in action actually. Happened to come across a guy doing something like 11 shots in under 8 seconds on youtube and I'm utterly impressed and :D ! If only I dare to as well...but my liver and I shudder at the thought. :D

Can't wait to pop over next month and meet Judy and her family of super nice and friendly staff...and maybe a few cute Vikings along the way too. :bah::D:o

Hi Mattias

And yes, we can never beat the price in 7-11 or Family Mart. After all, you get to stand by the walk way, drink your beers and watch the traffic that passes by :D

For sure. (comersial allowed o the visa i guess.....?) Anyway, everybody seen already that the forum-rules is different from post to post..who cares. We are all happy.

Viking bar is great. Its good. I like it., Sorry if anything else came up. I just wanna make fun of you comersial on the forum, witch normaly is not allowed, but there is seriously nothing at all wrong with vikingbar. Cheap beer and Swedich guests (who ever likes that).

By the way, since promoting now seems to be ok on the forum, i would say in soi green mango there is a few bars that are good: Blessing bar for instans. And green mango itself.

And already mentioned viking bar if you want to drink cheap beer chang (3 for 100 baht, dirt cheap, get drunk, have fun,).

As long as one does not upload advertisements, start a thread promoting one's business, post a direct link to one's business or obviously push their business in a post I can't see how I can filter every single post where someone recommends a bar, hotel, etc. Next time you see someone obviously advertising on this site please use the report button. Thanks

Hi Mattias

As long as one does not upload advertisements, start a thread promoting one's business, post a direct link to one's business or obviously push their business in a post I can't see how I can filter every single post where someone recommends a bar, hotel, etc. Next time you see someone obviously advertising on this site please use the report button. Thanks

all the bars in soi green mango doing renovations at the same time ? i think going skint is more the word ,mint bar has been closed 3/4 months ,dont see any builders there .

Hi Mattias

No worries. We are all here for some good fun. Drop by one day in our 'boring' bar and introduce yourself. If you are good, I might think about letting you buy us a drink...ha ha ha

Cheers

Hehehe. I might bring you to some of the newly renovated bars in the soi. Im glad you dont renovate or rebuild the vikingbar (allthough it seems you need a new place to put your computer?) its good there is someting to recognise in soi green mango if i make it down there this season.

And dont worry, have a lot of Swedich touristfriends that are boring enough to only sit in "Swedich places" all their holiday, that are heating here this winter, so im sure i will be bying a drink or two in viking bar also this time.

I will intruduce myself and by the Chang-bucket for the staff. :o

Although I haven't personally been to Viking or Samui (YET), I've asked a couple of folks who've been there and they really seem to enjoy the chill-out ambience and love the Shot Challenge too. I am dying to see one of those in action actually. Happened to come across a guy doing something like 11 shots in under 8 seconds on youtube and I'm utterly impressed and :D ! If only I dare to as well...but my liver and I shudder at the thought. :D

Can't wait to pop over next month and meet Judy and her family of super nice and friendly staff...and maybe a few cute Vikings along the way too. :bah::D:o

Hey, no offence. But i understand your post like a westerngirl hoping to find a vikingman, maybe i got you wrong??

Anyway, if it is the case i think soi green mango in Koh Samui might not be the best place for this. Quite high competition. If you want vikings i can strongly reccomend going to Sweden, and once the vikings are over there they are quite open for suggestions, hahahaha.

Here? Wouldnt thinks so......

(if you go to sweden this time a year, make sure you bring thik clothes and absolutely no smiling!! Anybody smiling in Sweden between october and march is considered an idiot and stand a good chance of being arrested! )

Summers good though.....

And dont worry, have a lot of Swedich touristfriends that are boring enough to only sit in "Swedich places" all their holiday, that are heating here this winter, so im sure i will be bying a drink or two in viking bar also this time.

I will intruduce myself and by the Chang-bucket for the staff. :o

Why not just ring the bell? Or get one of your visiting buddies to do it. :D

I only paid 30 or 40 baht for this ride last year. I'm sure you were just ripped off.

Hey, no offence. But i understand your post like a westerngirl hoping to find a vikingman, maybe i got you wrong??

[sorry for being OT]

None taken. :D But I am curious about what you mean by *post like a western girl*. In case you're thinking that this is not normally the way I talk (oh of course I don't go on and on about Swedish o Nordic vikings every spare minute of my time), then you don't really know me, do you? :D:D

And no, I don't talk this way just to lure a viking, although, thanks for letting me know that there is a certain way a girl must talk to *find* one. I'll keep that in mind the next time I visit Vikingland or wherever these mystical beings inhabit. :D:o

As of now, I'm only intimately familiar with IKEA and meatballs+cranberry sauce. Just saying. =P

[sorry for being OT]

None taken. :D But I am curious about what you mean by *post like a western girl*. In case you're thinking that this is not normally the way I talk (oh of course I don't go on and on about Swedish o Nordic vikings every spare minute of my time), then you don't really know me, do you? :D:D

And no, I don't talk this way just to lure a viking, although, thanks for letting me know that there is a certain way a girl must talk to *find* one. I'll keep that in mind the next time I visit Vikingland or wherever these mystical beings inhabit. :bah::o

As of now, I'm only intimately familiar with IKEA and meatballs+cranberry sauce. Just saying. =P

Sorry, my mistake in writing. Should be "i understand your post, like a.....". Came out like i said something about the way you talk, witch i did not at all claim to do. My mistake.

Meatballs with cranberry sauce is nothing i during my 32 years in Sweden ever seen anybody eating. Swedich meatballs are served with mach potatoes, and lingonberry perserve. Sometimes with brown gravy. :D

Anyway, if you do head for the "vikings" might be good to do some research about them. I did that when i left Sweden for the Thaigirls and it came out very well, hahaha.

Good luck