1-2-go, How Do They Do It

stevehaigh

i flew on 1-2-go for the first time yesterday from BKK to CMX. great flight, on time, no problems at all, and the price!!!

how can they make money on that. at $25/person x 400 seats (assuming plane is full and it's was only about 1/3rd full), that's only $10,000 per flight. i think it costs more than $10,000 to land a 747 for the tires and brakes. add in the staff cost, fuel and maintenance on the plane and it must be a $30,000 minimum flight.

maybe i'm missing something, but does anyone know how they can do it so cheeply?

steve

maybe i'm missing something, but does anyone know how they can do it so cheeply?

1-2-Go is supposedly losing money at the moment.

I'm not sure why they are flying a 747 on that route. That's a lot of seats to fill. The successful low-cost airlines generally fly a single aircraft throughout their fleet and more often than not, it's a 737.

they probably got the 747s for a song ( Hmm another Nok air pun ) but from speaking to friends in the aviation maintenance business Orient Thai have NOT got a good reputation. You just need to look at the planes outside and inside, tired, old, worn out and quite a few creaks and squeaks more than normal.

Add in the 747s are all 100 series and are 20 years plus old......

On the Phuket flight it was about a 90% load both ways , 90 minutes late both ways.

... maybe i'm missing something, but does anyone know how they can do it so cheeply?

A common business model is to temporarily sustain loss thru heavy undercutting in the assumption market share will eventually increase or competition will decrease (ie, put out of business).

Also, local carriers (non-international, FAA) can have razor thin maint budgets, etc. :o