Entertainment Bar On Small Private Moo Baan

Two years ago we leased land and contracted a farang/Thai real estate company to build us a home on a very small Moo Baan . The development was , and is still being, described on the real estate company's website as being “a unique development ------in as serene and peaceful a location as you could wish”. We discovered, after we had paid the deposit and leased the land, that the entire site did not belong to the real estate company but to a Thai/American couple who lived locally, and who had connections with the developer. We and another couple have lived here for over a year, during that time 5 more homes have been commissioned and built, although the owners are not yet in residence. There are two remaining plots and a small area which at present is occupied by huts for the Burmese construction team.

Yesterday we heard from the other permanently resident couple on the development that the owner of the land had told them that the huts were to be demolished and the Burmese moved to another site. She went on to state that she and her husband had plans to build a “ breakfast restaurant and entertainment centre” in our moo baan where the huts had been located, adjacent to our neighbours’ home and a short distance from ours. Having lived in Thailand for a while now, we are fully aware of what that will mean to us , our neighbours, and the other owners of the completed properties in terms of unbearably loud noise, traffic, drunks, security risks to our homes, loss of property values, and difficulty in either selling or renting our properties when it all gets too much and we are forced to leave.

We were informed recently that the road through the development was a private road, and we are expected, when and if the entire development is completed, to pay for the area’s maintenance ourselves, including two small lakes and a great many trees. We were assured at point of purchase, that the Moo Baan would be for private occupation only.

Obviously, we are going to have to seek (probably expensive) legal advice on this, but are posting in case a reader or readers has had experience of a similar situation and can advise .

okinasan

Okinasan,

What you have described sounds like a private estate, for private occupation. Has the owner elaborated any further on what a 'breakfast restaurant and entertainment center' means?

If playing music and serving alcohol they will need licenses from the police, which are extremely difficult to obtain. If he has these then there may not be all that much you can do, other than perhaps try for misrepresentation on the developers part, but I have yet to hear of any of these cases being won. However, if he doesn't have the required licenses / permits etc that might prove to be a useful angle for you, well that and a good buddy at the local police department..

It looks like the owner is thinking he will never sell that plot of land, or eh 'lease'.

You could together with your neighbours buy it from him, oh sorry i mean lease.

And who knows, maybe you find someone else to sell it to, sorry again i mean lease it to.

Otherwise a deap breath, and practice saying 'mai pen rai'.

It sounds to me as though you might end up with an asset to your place.

A meeting place, breakfast and entertainment area can actually be a plus of you are in a gated community.

Without knowing the particulars of the moo baan I would be inclined to suggest that you just wait, perhaps speak to the developer and ask the particulars.

Unless this is a low class type moo baan I think you will be pleased with the finished result.

Good luck.

It sounds to me as though you might end up with an asset to your place.

A meeting place, breakfast and entertainment area can actually be a plus of you are in a gated community.

Without knowing the particulars of the moo baan I would be inclined to suggest that you just wait, perhaps speak to the developer and ask the particulars.

Unless this is a low class type moo baan I think you will be pleased with the finished result.

Good luck.

Tuky -- there are seven homes on this moo baan at present, with three unleased parcels of land. We were promised that it would be a gated community with a resident couple, we were then told it would not be so. The closest home to the proposed restaurant/entertainment centre is 10 yards, the furthest away is about 60 yards. The decibels emitted by such places can be heard clearly a mile away------ I fail to see how we, or any other home owners here might end up with an "asset to our place" ! Amazing Thailand , indeed. particularly as the main mover and shaker on this is a farang........

okinasan

Get together. It is a few against one. Threaten with lawsuits (also for the other not deliverd 'promises' ,not paying the lease, occupy his 'entertainment' place and only order a glass of water until he gets the point.

Use some muscle!

Don't be a mouse.

BUT before you do that,

go talk to the owner!! Would that not be better then just hearsay from a neighbour who might not know anything but just some rumours.

Tuky might be right, it could be a nice place to go eat and have breakfast. Entertainment doesn't have to be loud. What kind of entertainment does he mean. Maybe it is a book reading club.

Tuky might be right, it could be a nice place to go eat and have breakfast. Entertainment doesn't have to be loud. What kind of entertainment does he mean. Maybe it is a book reading club.

Thats what I mean, we have an "entertainment" place in my moo baan, they sell beer, food, there is a gym and a pool etc. There is hardly ever anyone there and if there is it is usually me getting out of the house for a beer and to read my book.

I am not sure who told you "entertainment" but perhaps it may have been lost in translation and the real meaning is clubhouse or similar.

Anyway mate I am just trying to help keep positive :o

Okinasan,

What you have described sounds like a private estate, for private occupation. Has the owner elaborated any further on what a 'breakfast restaurant and entertainment center' means?

If playing music and serving alcohol they will need licenses from the police, which are extremely difficult to obtain. If he has these then there may not be all that much you can do, other than perhaps try for misrepresentation on the developers part, but I have yet to hear of any of these cases being won. However, if he doesn't have the required licenses / permits etc that might prove to be a useful angle for you, well that and a good buddy at the local police department..

Good advice. Get in first and win the cops over to your side.