Where Is Best Currently To Get Long Stay Tourist Visa

Kuala Lumpur is also OK, and budget flights available too. have to overnight though.

No visa costs to get into Malaysia (probably) Where are you starting from ?

Naka.

Hi, im starting from bangkok, if thats what you mean? overnight is fine, i would stay a couple of days. might as well explore it there as well?

im just nervous as hel_l about actually getting it, i really badly want to be able to stay on for another 3 months. they should allow it shouldnt they? i mean more chance of getting it than not getting it?

thanks for replies both of you.

thats excellent, penang it is, sorry for more questions, never done this before, how do i go about getting a visa agent and be sure its one that will do the job properly....can i print out an application form in advance or do i pop in and get one there or will he have them, yes im that clueless lol sorry? thanks again for your help

On past similar threads, many people have recommended Banana Guesthouse in Penang, and I used them the first time I applied for a tourist visa and had no idea what to do. They were very helpful, were able to answer all my questions, and, as someone else said, the cost was pretty minimal. They're one of the larger guesthouses on Chulia St., and your bus driver should know where they are.

Make sure you have a couple photos for your application.

And, as others have also said, the chances of you NOT getting a tourist visa are very slim.

thanks to you all, everyone is so helpful here, very nice forum and people thanks again. i will look into this as well

NJ Books chulia st is numero uno in the visa agency biz, I dont care for Bananas

I would go to Vientiane LAO. Really easy and the Thai Embassy will give your passport and visa back the next day after you apply. The way I traveled there was fly airasia or nok air to UdonThani and then a mini bus to the border. From udon to the border (Nongkai) was around a 40 mins bus trip. I liked this way much more than going to Paeng.

Hi Rhino,

How much is the fare by minibus from Udon Thani to Nongkai ? And then i guess by coach to Vientiane ? How much for this trip and how long ? Is it true you lose 2 whole pages in your passport by going there, comparing with for example Penang ?

Thanks.

If you are American, this page loss thing is meaningless as we can get all the free pages we want added to our passports at the US embassy

Play around with Air Asia for dates and get on their email list. I could have booked to go to Penang for Bt88 plus taxes if I booked before 18th September !

You'll have to stay overnight. I used the Cititel at about Bt1250 online. Good cheap room service and ok hotel.

No need for an agent. Fly in on the 7am flight, taxi to embassy, fill in forms and pay MYR100 visa fee (make sure you have the correct (large) photo size. They will refuse your application if not. Then same taxi to hotel. Do the same in reverse the following day.

There is a Nandos chicken eatery at the airport which is very nice.

As you are in Bangkok and unless you have more time than sense, no other option is remotely as easy or cheap.

after the fiasco in Phuket on 1,2 go, I am leaning towards land travel to Penang from now on. My family back home urges this or non cheapo airlines as well

Play around with Air Asia for dates and get on their email list. I could have booked to go to Penang for Bt88 plus taxes if I booked before 18th September !

You'll have to stay overnight. I used the Cititel at about Bt1250 online. Good cheap room service and ok hotel.

No need for an agent. Fly in on the 7am flight, taxi to embassy, fill in forms and pay MYR100 visa fee (make sure you have the correct (large) photo size. They will refuse your application if not. Then same taxi to hotel. Do the same in reverse the following day.

There is a Nandos chicken eatery at the airport which is very nice.

As you are in Bangkok and unless you have more time than sense, no other option is remotely as easy or cheap.

do you have a link for cititel at that price or even close? I havent seen that hotel online for less than double 1250

Play around with Air Asia for dates and get on their email list. I could have booked to go to Penang for Bt88 plus taxes if I booked before 18th September !]

After the fiasco in Phuket on 1,2 go, I am leaning towards land travel to Penang from now on. My family back home urges this or non cheapo airlines as well

Last time I did the land journey from Had Yai to Penang, it was one of the most frightening experiences of my life. The mini bus was rammed full, going way too fast and wildly swaying from side to side.

Last time I flew to Penang, it was ten times quicker, more comfortable and I am sure it was much less dangerous than going by mini bus. Flying with a good carrier is, in my opinion, much safer and not that much more expensive.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Hi my 90 days (60+30 extension) tourist visa will run out soon, i want to get a new 60 day visa somewhere near thailand as i am training in muay thai. Any suggestions of my best bet to get this done.

much appreciated thank you!

Hi Mart,

Not sure when you want to do the TV run, but I'm heading up to Vientiane on Wednesday 26th / evening. Leaving from Morchit bus station on VIP bus 700 baht, leaves at 8.30 pm. Takes 10 hours, but delivers you to more or less the border. It's $35 dollars ( roughly 1,500 Baht ) for visa to enter Laos. This will be my 3rd TV run. I know the routine and like other posters have said there should be no problems, but you will lose 2 pages in your passport. If you want to chummy up with me, let me know and I will pass on my phone number and meet up with you in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Vientiane is well worth a visit....good food....good beer....good nightlife....and cheap.

Regards

Jeff

done it five times, tv and the 30 day extension, so the rumors are from people who like to tell you but have no clue (plenty on this site btw) are wrong

i guess Lopburi is right.... You did your trips a while ago, didn't you ? New laws/rules came in a couple of months ago that it makes almost impossible to do the 30 day extentions after your TV now...

To Lopburi : Are you sure there may be border crossings where you can buy a busticket to provide before re-entering the country ? If YES, any idea where ?

Thanks !

It was one or more of the Cambodian entry points that used the bus ticket. Believe it is still the requirement there for visa exempt entry. Perhaps someone can advise the names - they have been mentioned many times. Believe it was only a 200 baht ticket.

It was one or more of the Cambodian entry points that used the bus ticket. Believe it is still the requirement there for visa exempt entry. Perhaps someone can advise the names - they have been mentioned many times. Believe it was only a 200 baht ticket.

THANKS Lopburi !

I was at Pailin border last week and was told that not every nation need an air ticket despite what was written at the border. I'm Russian and wasn't asked for airline ticket and hadn't to buy any bus ticket for 200 Baht.

Another question I have: some people was banned to fly to Malaysia from Suvarnabhumi because they hadn't fly to their origin country! It sounds hel_l crazy but it's true!

Does anybody heard of that?

Can one fly from Phuket to Penang without airline ticket to hos native country or cross the border by land?

Every passport holder allowed visa exempt entry (30 day stamp) is required to have a ticket (if they say so). Russia is not a country allowed visa exempt entry so it does not apply to you.

As for Malaysia you have to meet there requirements for entry. Nothing to do with Thai visas.

"I'm Russian and wasn't asked for airline ticket and hadn't to buy any bus ticket for 200 Baht."

That's because Russia is not on the visa exempt list (the list of 41 cpuntries) but rather on the mutual visa exempt list, just like Laos and Vietnam for instance, so no limit on the number of times you can get the 30 days stamp, neither a onward travel requirement for you. I guess some westerners envy you :o

You are visa free to Laos too by the way. No USD 35 for you :D

Being not limited in stamps is good, but I don't like the idea of going to Cambodia every time spending the whole passport page on Cambodian visa.

I didn't know about Laos visas... thank you. My friend was surprised when wasn't asked for money for Laos visa.

Knowing that, I wonder why we must have a ticket back to our country leaving Suvanapum to Malaysia??? Any other nationalities asked about the same?

You should require the same thing for travel to Malaysia as for Thailand (assuming you are talking of Russian passport) - an onward ticket to a country that you hold entry documentation for; plus $500. Perhaps an airline provided your friend the wrong information (or there policy rather than the law).

Haven't visited the forum for a while so lemme get this straight. Are Penang and Laos giving back to back 60 day tourist visas? If so aren't they violating the new regs which came into force last year? Not that that's so surprising as it's up to the individual consulates.

Still, kinda curious. Thanks

done it five times, tv and the 30 day extension, so the rumors are from people who like to tell you but have no clue (plenty on this site btw) are wrong

i guess Lopburi is right.... You did your trips a while ago, didn't you ? New laws/rules came in a couple of months ago that it makes almost impossible to do the 30 day extentions after your TV now...

To Lopburi : Are you sure there may be border crossings where you can buy a busticket to provide before re-entering the country ? If YES, any idea where ?

Thanks !

Why is it not possible to do a border run after having a .t.v.? Have'nt heard anything about this from my friends who run a certain visa bus service from Ekkamai.

If you have been living there on visa exempt entry and then a tourist visa/extension you will have not completed a six month time period (the rule is 90 days in six months). You are likely to be a few days short and people have been told to stay out 4 or 5 days or whatever if they want to use this method. But as with everything to do with visa exempt; anything can happen. Have not seen as many horror posts recently but not sure if that is because people are using more intelligently or immigration is allowing more liberal usage. I suspect it is a combination.

If you have been living there on visa exempt entry and then a tourist visa/extension you will have not completed a six month time period (the rule is 90 days in six months). You are likely to be a few days short and people have been told to stay out 4 or 5 days or whatever if they want to use this method. But as with everything to do with visa exempt; anything can happen. Have not seen as many horror posts recently but not sure if that is because people are using more intelligently or immigration is allowing more liberal usage. I suspect it is a combination.

Lop,

What about someone who say has had two t.v.'s plus 30 day extensions,and went on "visa run", (30 day).This seems that after having 6 months without "visa expemt" stamps they would be able to continue to have 3 more (90 days) visa exempts and then go back to t.v.'s. Is this, in theory of course, the way it works?