Cleaning Feather Pillows

youngkiwi

I am curious about the best way to clean high quality feather pillows. I have several with fillings of 100% goosedown, in a fitted cotton satin cover.

Not sure if dryclean is the best way to go. Always noticed how clean the pillows are in hotels, perhaps they dryclean on a regular basis, but I have heard negative things about drycleaning pillows, not to mention being able to find a reputable drycleaner.

I am curious about the best way to clean high quality feather pillows. I have several with fillings of 100% goosedown, in a fitted cotton satin cover.

Not sure if dryclean is the best way to go. Always noticed how clean the pillows are in hotels, perhaps they dryclean on a regular basis, but I have heard negative things about drycleaning pillows, not to mention being able to find a reputable drycleaner.

It is going to sound strange but I have down duck and goose ( 2 of them ) every so often i put them into the washing machine and after in the dryer ( under a zip protection bag ), evry time they come back better / lighter !

Lately i bought a LATEX pillow , fantastic .

They have special detergent for down. Not sure if it's easy to find in Thailand. I think the point is regular detergent takes the oil off the feathers so they get brittle or something.

However, given the choice between a less fluffly pillow due to regular detergent and sleeping my face in a fluffy dry cleaned pillow, I'd take the regular detergent. I don't know what's in the dry cleaning chemicals. You could always try just washing in plain water first and see if that doesn't do what you want.

They have special detergent for down. Not sure if it's easy to find in Thailand. I think the point is regular detergent takes the oil off the feathers so they get brittle or something.

However, given the choice between a less fluffly pillow due to regular detergent and sleeping my face in a fluffy dry cleaned pillow, I'd take the regular detergent. I don't know what's in the dry cleaning chemicals. You could always try just washing in plain water first and see if that doesn't do what you want.

I have always washed my down pillows in the washer with a detergent similar to woolite. In the dryer I place a few tennis balls with the pillows and it fluffs them right up.