Execution Thai Style

Maigo6

The procedure for the execution usually followed these guidelines during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

1. After a prisoner had been sentenced to death by the court, his case would be presented to the King for a final approval.

2. Before the execution, the prisoner would be whipped for three rounds with 30 strokes for each round.

3. On the way to the execution place, the prisoner might be punished with the five instruments of restraint which were leg chain, handcuffs, neck chain, hard wooden stocks and waist chain.

4. Last meal would be provided for the prisoner and after that a monk would be invited to preach to him.

5. The prisoner had to sit down with both his legs stretched forward, and his body would be fastened to a wooden cross.

6. The prisoner’s ears and mouth would be filled with clay, and the base of his neck which was going to be cut off, was also marked with clay. After that, the second executioner would continually dance with his sword in front of the prisoner and as soon as it was believed that the prisoner’s mind was calm, the first executioner would then behead him from behind.

7. After the prisoner had been executed, both of his feet would be cut off at the ankles in order to take the leg chain off. After that, his flesh would be sliced and his body chopped up into pieces and then given to the vultures and crows.

8. His head would be placed on a sharp stick and displayed for everyone to see.

:o:D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ALR Wood in "Consul in Paradise" describes an execution too in the early 20th century if I remember correctly.

There is certainly a picture in the book of the cndemned sitting waiting for the beheading.

There were beheadings at Thammasat in 76 too although by a right wing lynch mob

After that, the second executioner would continually dance with his sword in front of the prisoner and as soon as it was believed that the prisoner’s mind was calm, the first executioner would then behead him from behind.

Not to sure that the sword dance routine would be a good way to induce the calm before the chop if it was me to be honest!

thailand progressed a lot since than - now it's an injection.

Just finished reading the Chavoret Jaruboon book, which I have found to be an interesting read about working as an executioner. I agree, that legal executions have progressed. After moving from the gun to the injection, however there has been a lot of recent research that suggests that even the lethal injection process is not always as clean and clear a method. Personally, I'd certainly never want to undertake such a job.

Maigoo, is there a source or book that you have got this from? Much appreciated if you have, so I can read a little more about it. Thanks.

thailand progressed a lot since than - now it's an injection.

Just finished reading the Chavoret Jaruboon book, which I have found to be an interesting read about working as an executioner. I agree, that legal executions have progressed. After moving from the gun to the injection, however there has been a lot of recent research that suggests that even the lethal injection process is not always as clean and clear a method. Personally, I'd certainly never want to undertake such a job.

Maigoo, is there a source or book that you have got this from? Much appreciated if you have, so I can read a little more about it. Thanks.

I read that book too and found it interesting - bought it at Singapore airport when first published here

Similar practices still being performed in some - civilized - countries.

Cheating wives (word of the husband is enough) stoned to death.

onzestan

And some may think that death penalty in whatever ritual it may be packed in is a sign of an uncivilized country/nation.

onzestan

And some may think that death penalty in whatever ritual it may be packed in is a sign of an uncivilized country/nation.

Well most of the civilised, developed world certainly do with a couple of exceptions :o

The procedure for the execution usually followed these guidelines during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

1. After a prisoner had been sentenced to death by the court, his case would be presented to the King for a final approval.

2. Before the execution, the prisoner would be whipped for three rounds with 30 strokes for each round.

3. On the way to the execution place, the prisoner might be punished with the five instruments of restraint which were leg chain, handcuffs, neck chain, hard wooden stocks and waist chain.

4. Last meal would be provided for the prisoner and after that a monk would be invited to preach to him.

5. The prisoner had to sit down with both his legs stretched forward, and his body would be fastened to a wooden cross.

6. The prisoner's ears and mouth would be filled with clay, and the base of his neck which was going to be cut off, was also marked with clay. After that, the second executioner would continually dance with his sword in front of the prisoner and as soon as it was believed that the prisoner's mind was calm, the first executioner would then behead him from behind.

7. After the prisoner had been executed, both of his feet would be cut off at the ankles in order to take the leg chain off. After that, his flesh would be sliced and his body chopped up into pieces and then given to the vultures and crows.

Cool!

Edited by FuddlersFick

I think that it is a great shame that a country with a majority Buddhist population has the death penalty.

I am 100% opposed to it in all cases and believe those involved are murderers.

Edited by garro

onzestan

Well most of the civilised, developed world certainly do with a couple of exceptions :o

Most, really?

You must hold different ideas of being civilized from me. :D

onzestan

Most, really?

You must hold different ideas of being civilized from me. :D

Am I being too obtuse for you?

I think myself and Colypat wer saying something without being blatant ie which developed country still has the death penalty?

Off the top of my head i can think of only two - the one I am sitting in and the biggest one ;-)

I know it is going to be difficult guys but can we have this conversation with out the usual flaming and letting it get personal?

It can/should be an interesting debate. Note, while it can be an emotional debate....lets not decend to insulting people because of their views. Otherwise, this is going to be CLOSED quick smart.....

I know it is going to be difficult guys but can we have this conversation with out the usual flaming and letting it get personal?

It can/should be an interesting debate. Note, while it can be an emotional debate....lets not decend to insulting people because of their views. Otherwise, this is going to be CLOSED quick smart.....

Hanging is too good for people who disagree with me :o

6. The prisoner’s ears and mouth would be filled with clay, and the base of his neck which was going to be cut off, was also marked with clay. After that, the second executioner would continually dance with his sword in front of the prisoner and as soon as it was believed that the prisoner’s mind was calm, the first executioner would then behead him from behind.

Sounds like a good way to deal with the convicted, wish they would enstate that type of capitol punishment in the USA, I think it would change the minds of many would be murders, rapists, and child molesters etc. The prison systems back there are getting way out of hand, with gangs, drugs, and murders in prison. There would be far less crime in the long run.

Anyone know of any books about the Thammasat 76 incidents ? There is obviously lots of info on the net but i havent found any published accounts of it.

Also i think i'd rather take some bullets as opposed to lethal injection.. I havent read Last Executioner but i flipped thru it @ the book store and read the part about the girl who came back to life in the morgue and freaked everyone out

Anyone know of any books about the Thammasat 76 incidents ? There is obviously lots of info on the net but i havent found any published accounts of it.

Also i think i'd rather take some bullets as opposed to lethal injection.. I havent read Last Executioner but i flipped thru it @ the book store and read the part about the girl who came back to life in the morgue and freaked everyone out

That part of the book was pretty unpleasant, especiually when they had to bring her back out again, tie her to the cross and pump another 9 bullets into her. :o

Sounds like a good way to deal with the convicted, wish they would enstate that type of capitol punishment in the USA, I think it would change the minds of many would be murders, rapists, and child molesters etc. The prison systems back there are getting way out of hand, with gangs, drugs, and murders in prison. There would be far less crime in the long run.

Bit of a bummer if you're innocent and wrongly convicted, no ?

Edited by Maigo6

Bit of a bummer if you're innocently convicted, no ?

Maigo, stop being a cynic. :o

The police and miscarraiges of justice, never happens does it? :D

I think it would change the minds of many would be murders, rapists, and child molesters etc. The prison systems back there are getting way out of hand, with gangs, drugs, and murders in prison. There would be far less crime in the long run.

but there is a capital punishment in the us of a - and is not a deterrent for the murderers.

as to rapists and child molesters there is no capital punishment anywhere in the world (with exception od some backward muslim countries ruled by the sharia law).

those convicted of rape and child molestation and sentenced to prison do have a very hard time there - including group rape and murder. They know it before commiting the crime - they still do it.

capital punishment for them is just saving them from tortures by the inmates.

the prison system in the usa doesn't work despite being developed within the last 20 years from trapping 200k to 3mln convicts - it's no more now than a tool of class oppression against the poor and dispossessed

Executions are a great political tool. Weed out the undesirables. Guilty or innocent it sends a signal. :D

All the greatest leaders have used executions in one form or another, right? :D Bullets, swords, injections, water hoses, boiling oil, cop hit squads, etc...

:o isn't it?

A little more modern forms leave the dancing out. I know it is China, but every country as a hit squad to perform these national services. :D

Human-rights critics say they may look more like officially sanctioned roaming death squads, which simply allow China to execute its prisoners quickly, easily and out of the public eye. Chinese legal officials counter that the fleet of execution vehicles is a "more humane" form of carrying out death sentences. One thing for sure: they are a radical departure from publicly held execution rallies organized in the past.

source

:D

Edited by ilyushin