Trouble Connecting To Dialup

jetzie

Hi guys, i need help here.

i recently bought a 50hour internet timecard and i have my username, password and modem number, im pretty sure i entered all correctly.

now here's the problem, i cant get a dial-tone.

1) i live in a rented apartment so im using thier foneline.

2) my apartment fone needs to press 9 before i can dial out

i tried entering the modem number as it is (02xxxxxxx) and also tried it this way (902xxxxxxx) none works.

any help here?

You should be able to set up your connection to the outside line in your modem settings:

post-7151-1190490966_thumb.jpg

If not, you can use the old fashioned way I used to use to solve the same problem when dialing out of hotels where you needed to dial 9 to reach an outside line. The way it worked was to add a number or two between the 9 and the number I wanted to dial to compensate for the pause while the system connected me to an outside line.

Example:

You need to dial 0276753992

Try setting the number in the settings to 9550276753992

The two fives will dial while the line is switching over to the outside circuit, and the real number dials after that switch is made. You may have to add or subtract the extra numbers depending on how long that pause is, but I've always managed to get this to work.

If the number to dial is 0276753992

and you need to dial 9 to get an outside line then try using this 9,0276753992 or 9,,0276753992 or 9,,,0276753992

Each comma adds a time delay to allow for the outside line to connect. By the way you don't

need to wait for the dial tone.

Can you hear the modem 'dialing' ?

Naka.

Edited by naka

You should be able to set up your connection to the outside line in your modem settings:

post-7151-1190490966_thumb.jpg

thanks cdnvic, i will try it out!

If the number to dial is 0276753992

and you need to dial 9 to get an outside line then try using this 9,0276753992 or 9,,0276753992 or 9,,,0276753992

Each comma adds a time delay to allow for the outside line to connect. By the way you don't

need to wait for the dial tone.

Can you hear the modem 'dialing' ?

Naka.

Yes naka, i hear the modem dialing, and after a while, it hangs up and the computor tells me it was unsuccessful as there was 1) no dialtone 2) cannot establish a connection.

Edited by jetzie

Yes naka, i hear the modem dialing, and after a while, it hangs up and the computor tells me it was unsuccessful as there was 1) no dialtone 2) cannot establish a connection.

Try dialing the number manually with a standard phone and see if it connects. Should hear a lot of noise, same as a fax connection if successful. If you can, then the number is correct. The "," is the correct way to place a pause (one comma is between 1 and 2 seconds delay). Try adding them in as naka indicated. If your modem speaker is enabled then you should hear the dial tone, then a dial pulse/tone, a delay, then the full number then a lot of noise as it negotiates the modem speeds.

Also, make sure your modem protocols are correct (ppp, tcpip settings) and your login/password is correct.