Would You Use The Meter Taxi... If They Used The Meter

Boater

Would you use metered taxi's if they used the meter??  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After the report in the Samui express that 109 Taxi drivers where arrested for not using thier meters ( this will probably do nothing to stop them over charging again ect ect ) and that they will HAVE to use there meters, i thought i would see how many people would actually use the taxi's if they used the meter ( Same as BKK ) then present to Samui express.

Thanks

Edited by Jai Dee
Poll title spelling corrected.

Taxi overpricing pesters tourists

By CHATSURIYA ANUPAN

A MONTH has passed since the attack on four tourists by a taxi driver on Aug. 6 (the driver has since been arrested), but sadly the problem of metered taxis overcharging tourists on Samui has remained.

An Australian tourist, for example, has written Samui Express [see “Letter” section on p. 9] that in the evening of Aug. 30 he was charged Bt500 from Lamai to Chaweng.

“The standard tourist fare we are made to pay ... [from] Lamai to Chaweng is always Bt400 but last night we were made to pay Bt500 as the taxi was a bigger car (more of a four-wheel-drive style) and he made us pay extra,” he said.

The Ministry of Transportation has in fact issued a regulation for all cab drivers on Koh Samui to use the meter with the flagdown rate of Bt50 for the first two kilometers and Bt11 per kilometer thereafter up to 10 kilometers.

The rate per kilometer between the 11th kilometer and 20th kilometer is Bt9. Above 20 kilometers, the rate is Bt7 per kilometer.

With the tolerance of many tourists and the police, it has almost become an accepted practice for taxi drivers not to use the meter. Richard Talbot, the letter writer on page 9, said he was “stunned” to read that taxis on Koh Samui “actually have working meters and [that] these fares should apply on the island.”

“We have traveled to Samui many times (four so far) from Australia and have always found the taxis to be the biggest problem we have to deal with as tourists. I have never, not once, been offered a metered fare on Samui. I have asked many times and been told, ‘The meters dont work’ or ‘Meter is not for tourists, you pay different fare’ or ‘Meters don’t apply on Samui,’” he wrote.

snip

samuiexpress.net

I think they'd find they had a lot more customers if they stopped taking the pi** and thought about the bigger which is that now, that even people who have never visited the island before have been warned and know not to use the meter taxi's. I have no problem with people making a living and not all Samui taxi drivers are 'bad people' but it's definitely in their best interests to sort it out.

I see a lot of empty taxi's these days and I know I for one would definitely start using them again for things like airport runs, ferry drops etc. if I at least wasn't going to get stung every time.

I think they'd find they had a lot more customers if they stopped taking the pi** and thought about the bigger which is that now, that even people who have never visited the island before have been warned and know not to use the meter taxi's. I have no problem with people making a living and not all Samui taxi drivers are 'bad people' but it's definitely in their best interests to sort it out.

I see a lot of empty taxi's these days and I know I for one would definitely start using them again for things like airport runs, ferry drops etc. if I at least wasn't going to get stung every time.

in the samui express today ,front page 109 taxi drivers arrested for not using there meters ,if they continue to inforce this rule these overcharging people will be a thing of the past..........

in the samui express today ,front page 109 taxi drivers arrested for not using there meters ,if they continue to inforce this rule these overcharging people will be a thing of the past..........

sorry missed the first post ..........

Wow, this really is great news! I just returned home from Samui and I am happy to report that not one baht was given to those sharks and theives. I told myself before I left home that I would do whatever I had to not to take any taxis in Samui and I made it work. I will gladly give it to the hotel guys and the airport shuttle service but never again to to the taxis until they turn on those meters!

It would be much different if they didn't ALL have colorful signs ontop of their taxis that say "metered taxi". After my 1st trip to Samui and paying 600 baht round trip from Lamai to Chaweng a few times, I told myself never again. On the 18 hr flight back home, I fantasized about someday being able to "encounter" one of these sharks in the US and turning the tables on him. It was a fun "wish list", but hearing about them getting arrested makes me wish I could have been there to see the looks on their faces! Priceless I'm sure!!

It really surprised me that this was tolerated for so long. Why spend money and time trying to lure travellers to Samui and then watch it all "go down the drain" because of these snakes.

Chock one up for the good guys!!

No one was arrested over this. The term is a result of the Thai-English the paper unfortunately uses. An actual copy editor would be nice.

This would be a good subject for a self-produced YouTube video of trying to find a cab that would use the meter.

I can't recall exactly, someone can help me here, but looking at the mileage chart in the back of taxis in Bangkok, a trip to Lamai to the airport would be something under 200 baht, so the rates here are extortionate.

It's hard to break up a racket; think outside the box and figure out a way to compel the drivers to use their meters.

Suggestions?

No one was arrested over this. The term is a result of the Thai-English the paper unfortunately uses. An actual copy editor would be nice.

This would be a good subject for a self-produced YouTube video of trying to find a cab that would use the meter.

I can't recall exactly, someone can help me here, but looking at the mileage chart in the back of taxis in Bangkok, a trip to Lamai to the airport would be something under 200 baht, so the rates here are extortionate.

It's hard to break up a racket; think outside the box and figure out a way to compel the drivers to use their meters.

Suggestions?

Hi, so what was the actual outcome for the taxi drivers then? as correct, i dont think they were arrested as there was no mention of a charge or fine ect ect for not using the metre

In responce to the last paragraph, yes you are right it is very difficult to break up a racket of this nature, hence why i am doing this Vote. Hopefully the outcome should be a least 80% + people will vote for yes, with this and depending on how many people vote, it might show these taxi drivers that using the metre will in fact increase there buiness!

thanks

I took a "metered" taxi from Chaweng Lakeview down to Springers Pub in south Chaweng on Thursday night just before midnite. He picked me up as I was walking and it cost 200 baht. People at the bar said that was way too high. I returned home around 02:30 and one of the Thais working there asked the taxi driver (different one) how much to take me back and he said 200 baht.

It doesn't appear they are using meters.

As for the Samui Expres getting the translation wrong, could they have been fed misinformation in order to pacify the tourist & expat community? How many now think it's OK here even though nothing has changed?

After the report in the Samui express that 109 Taxi drivers where arrested for not using thier metres ( this will probably do nothing to stop them over charging again ect ect ) and that they will HAVE to use there metres, i thought i would see how many people would actually use the taxi's if they used the metre ( Same as BKK ) then present to Samui express.

Thanks

Not a bad idea boater. Can lead to something good. Perhaps eventually you bring this poll and maybe the whole thread to someone who can do something with it. Samui-express might not be the best way though, even if it offcourse wont hurt to put a real article in between the diningtips,hahaha). Thing is i think it is mostly read by us "farang-expats". I dont think Thais read it or especially somebody with a influence in these issues, but i might be wrong.

Boater, why not bring it over to the main policeoffice in Nathon, the "samui governmental people" (i heard we are supposed to have a small "government" on samui?),people of surat-thani province government (or what ever its called) and Bangkok post? Anybody that knows the right way to go in this matter, please post it.

This should have been stopped years ago, and now the police and government can not keep there eyes closed anymore for the fact that nobody on this island use meter, besides alot of them dont even have registrationplates nor namesigns and vehiclenumber inside.

This is also highly illegal. If the driver rape you or rob you, you dont have a clue who it was. "yellow car, dark skin driver". Thats what they let you know about this whole taxitrip, and that fact scares me even a little more. What is the real reason to stay that "under cover" when you are driving a cab?

Also the fact on top off this that some off these guys have guns in the car.

And it is true that some tourist (maybe even alot?) has heard this already before they arrive to the island and simply dont use them. But off course its not that easy if you are a family and dont want to drive yourself.

A island like this should have a good, safe, alternative to offer the tourists otherwise more and more people will choose other destinations for their holiday.

And i think these drivers themselves dont have a clue that everybody are on to what they are doing. They just see the "rich,stupid,white falang" on the street as easy money. Somebody should really let them know that if they dont change they might soon be out of buisness. Hotels are picking up their own costumers all over the island on piers and on airport. All kind of tours is being done with minivans. This is all buisness that has come up because taxis are not a alternative. If im going to the pier i have a friend driving my car. Same when my family come to samui, i pick them up in the airport. All this traffic could be taximeter if they changed. Only in samui is a driver supposed to make a week salery on 3 drives. Instead of driving around empty 5 hours a day, honking down the beachroad in chaweng, they could actually be making some money and be a bit busy if they used the meter. I just dont think they know it.

This is a megaimportant issue, im happy somebody brought it up again.

I went from Airport to Nathon for 300 B with a van (driver was going home to Lipa Noi, haha!), I would never use a taxi.

I dont believe the story from this ridicolous newspaper about 109 cab driver arrested.

By the law they have to use meters but they pay money to the police, why should they be arrested?

By the law every truck has to cover its load, by the law there are strict speed regulations, by the law you cannot built more than 2 storys close to the beach etc etc.

TIT - This is Thailand!

I went from Airport to Nathon for 300 B with a van (driver was going home to Lipa Noi, haha!), I would never use a taxi.

I dont believe the story from this ridicolous newspaper about 109 cab driver arrested.

By the law they have to use meters but they pay money to the police, why should they be arrested?

By the law every truck has to cover its load, by the law there are strict speed regulations, by the law you cannot built more than 2 storys close to the beach etc etc.

TIT - This is Thailand!

Yeah, totaly agree with you claudfeller. Besides some of the drivers are also working for the police as stated in threads before. Thing being that the ridicolous newspaper actually say something about these taxidriver pretty much in every issue and have done so for some years now. I dont know how many times i red "now its gonna change" and "meter starts from next mounth because priminister been overcharged" and i dont even remember all the bull these "journalists" make up. I think it is total bogus to fill up the pages between the diningtips (witch is there for the "reporters" to get free dining around samui, give me free food and i write good, otherwise i write bad). But thats why i mean a thread like this can mean something if it is brought to the right people. Samui-express is a fun 5 minuites reading before sleep once a month, but lets not call it a newspaper, and lets not think these hobby-journalists are gonna change anything except for maybe their own diningcosts. By the way, dont get me wrong, i like samui-express and read every issue, this is not a post supposed to ditch samui-express, i just want to make sure we not take samui-express as the channel to solve problems. Its simply a diningguide with some "news" that most of the time is irrelevant or very old.

But i agree with everything in your post claudefeller, and i say this is a little serious. The police here realy do a bad job making sure the laws of Thailand is being followed. Perhaps Samui grown too fast from very primitive to a bigger place where the police actually need to do a job? I dont know.....

I think there should be some kind of ring road bus service or other means of public transport to compete with the taxis and that it's not just a simple case of getting the drivers to turn on their meters in the present situation. If the meters were on the result would be three outcomes:

1)Lower prices

2)Less taxis on the roads

3)Annoyed tourists stuck in maenam or in the back of beyond at elephant trecking not being able to find a cab.

Taxi drivers in Bangkok can make a living because its a large urban conurbation with many willing and paying customers available at all times of the day to take cross city journeys. We have to understand that if there were no tourists in Samui there wouldnt be any taxis here and most tourists expect and are happy to have ready and available transport waiting for them outside their resorts, excursions, activities and shopping areas. Expecting the Samui economy to run as elsewhere in Thailand is simply short-sighted.

On a semi-rural tourist island, where most locals have got motorbikes, where the sole purpose of having a comfortable air conditioned taxi service is for the use of tourists, where people really do have to save in the high season to provide for the low season, where most drivers have to rent their vehicles for 700 baht a day and where there is little law to start with, simply getting all the taxi driers to turn on their meters and do 60-100 baht fairs between Lami and Chaweng is going to be tricky.

In Penang they have an excellant free bus for tourists around Georgetown and something like that here around the ring road would significantly improve the image of Samui among all and sundry. In fact, even a normal paid service would.

My Issan friend said that in Thailand it doesnt make a difference if there's democracy here or not because there's no law either way and people are still free to get on with what they want to do.

In this case, I dont think the law can help but free enterprise is alive and well, so what about some good old fashioned competition in the form of a public bus service.

I propose a petition to lobby for this and that either the Thailand Hotels Association, The Tourism Authority of Thailand, the Samui Express Newspaper or the self-styled SKAL should be used as a front representing the petition organsiers and Samui residents and businesses.

Any takers? The pen afterall is mightier than the taxidrivers sword.

I think there should be some kind of ring road bus service or other means of public transport to compete with the taxis and that it's not just a simple case of getting the drivers to turn on their meters in the present situation. If the meters were on the result would be three outcomes:

1)Lower prices

2)Less taxis on the roads

3)Annoyed tourists stuck in maenam or in the back of beyond at elephant trecking not being able to find a cab.

Taxi drivers in Bangkok can make a living because its a large urban conurbation with many willing and paying customers available at all times of the day to take cross city journeys. We have to understand that if there were no tourists in Samui there wouldnt be any taxis here and most tourists expect and are happy to have ready and available transport waiting for them outside their resorts, excursions, activities and shopping areas. Expecting the Samui economy to run as elsewhere in Thailand is simply short-sighted.

On a semi-rural tourist island, where most locals have got motorbikes, where the sole purpose of having a comfortable air conditioned taxi service is for the use of tourists, where people really do have to save in the high season to provide for the low season, where most drivers have to rent their vehicles for 700 baht a day and where there is little law to start with, simply getting all the taxi driers to turn on their meters and do 60-100 baht fairs between Lami and Chaweng is going to be tricky.

In Penang they have an excellant free bus for tourists around Georgetown and something like that here around the ring road would significantly improve the image of Samui among all and sundry. In fact, even a normal paid service would.

My Issan friend said that in Thailand it doesnt make a difference if there's democracy here or not because there's no law either way and people are still free to get on with what they want to do.

In this case, I dont think the law can help but free enterprise is alive and well, so what about some good old fashioned competition in the form of a public bus service.

I propose a petition to lobby for this and that either the Thailand Hotels Association, The Tourism Authority of Thailand, the Samui Express Newspaper or the self-styled SKAL should be used as a front representing the petition organsiers and Samui residents and businesses.

Any takers? The pen afterall is mightier than the taxidrivers sword.

Interresting idea. Hopefully the drivers of the ringroad bus dont have a bullet in their head on the first day.

I agree that the situation is different for a samui driver compared to a Bangkok dito. But still, they would gain alot of traffic in putting on the meter. Now they have to make all their money in the highseason, because the locals dont use their service. If the meter was used they would get alot of the expats and maybe even thais to use their service, and a all year around buisness.

Everybody who is doing some kind of illegal business has to pay money to the Police:

Taxi drivers, motorbike drivers, construction Ltd with burmese workers or with shi.. trucks, illegal farang workers, bars that open whole night, massage with sex. Thats the deal everywhere in Thailand.

The taxis will have to use the meter only if the status quo seems to be very harmful for other powerful businesses.

Edited by ClaudeFeller

I was in Guam last year and they had a great tourist/shopping trolley bus which went around. It was something like $2 per ride but only $10 for a week pass. Something like this would be great if they could do it.

The link to one of several companies:

http://adventureguam.com/english/shopping/...ledk/index.html

P8150383.jpg

P8170476.jpg

Edited by koheesti

I was in Guam last year and they had a great tourist/shopping trolley bus which went around. It was something like $2 per ride but only $10 for a week pass. Something like this would be great if they could do it.

P8150383.jpg

P8170476.jpg

never get that thing down chaweng or lamai high streets

Well, that's why you do something similar instead of importing the exact same bus.

P8150383.jpg

P8170476.jpg

Might be a thing to use in chaweng or in lamai, not in between. Though this bus is not compareble with aircon taxis. Problem in samui is not that we have to little vehicles on the road, nor do we need another vehicle-type. There is songtaews already, with a different price than the yellow cabs, and i suppose a price that is probably what a bus like this would charge? Still, with all different types of transportation, taximeters should use the meter. They do in the rest of the country. Its practicly only in Samui i never seen a taxi use the meter, like the samui-drivers need somekind of special deal that the rest of the taxidrivers all over thailand can do without. What is that? Totally dont get it.

For example, get new Songtaows so they look more safe and tourist friendly. They should be clearly and neatly marked along with color codes like "Red Line", "Green Line", etc for each route. Instead of waving them down, on the street there should be clearly marked stops with maps showing all the stops on each route dispayed at each stop as well as distributing maps in brochure form. Have enough making the rounds so one comes by every 10-15 minutes or so and enough stops so they aren't too far apart. Even hire the old drivers so they don't go around shooting the competition or whatever. I dunno. But there are solutions and they just need to be thought out (and bribes paid).

For example, get new Songtaows so they look more safe and tourist friendly. They should be clearly and neatly marked along with color codes like "Red Line", "Green Line", etc for each route. Instead of waving them down, on the street there should be clearly marked stops with maps showing all the stops on each route dispayed at each stop as well as distributing maps in brochure form. Have enough making the rounds so one comes by every 10-15 minutes or so and enough stops so they aren't too far apart. Even hire the old drivers so they don't go around shooting the competition or whatever. I dunno. But there are solutions and they just need to be thought out (and bribes paid).

put it in the hands of a western bus company ,with routes and timetables ,and stated fare for destinations clearly visible..

put it in the hands of a western bus company ,with routes and timetables ,and stated fare for destinations clearly visible..

just enforce the law so taxi not putting on there meters get fined ,2 strikes and there out ,job done ...........

Last time I was in penang my Taxi driver asked if Phuket or Samui is the best place to spend holiday.

Of course I told him to come to samui.

When I told him the taxi prices..... :D :D :D and then :o

380 baht from airport penang to central penang. (fixed prices, must by ticket in both), heavy traffic.

Reason for edit, maybe you do not know distance from airport to Georgetown (15 km, accourding to google earth), (460 km from samui)

It is a big city, the region has 1.47 million(2006)

Edited by PoorSucker

Last time I was in penang my Taxi driver asked if Phuket or Samui is the best place to spend holiday.

Of course I told him to come to samui.

When I told him the taxi prices..... :D:D:D and then :o

380 baht from airport penang to central penang. (fixed prices, must by ticket in both), heavy traffic.

Reason for edit, maybe you do not know distance from airport to Georgetown (15 km, accourding to google earth), (460 km from samui)

It is a big city, the region has 1.47 million(2006)

So, if we take under concideration that everything is a bit more expensive in Malaysia than Thailand, would a fair comparison be: Samui airport-chaweng central 150 baht.

Last time i was going from airport to chaweng i got him after alot of bargaining to drive me for 400 baht. He´s original idea was 700.

Another thing is that the driver claim that they need more money because for instans Bangkok drive on gasoline and diesel is more expensive. This is true. And they should have a higher setting on the meter than bangkok taxis. But still. Its the extrem overcharging of the innocent tourist that dont really know what it is supposed to cost that piss me off the most.

Last time i was going from airport to chaweng i got him after alot of bargaining to drive me for 400 baht. He´s original idea was 700.

At the taxi stand at the Greeting area they have fixed prices. I was one person so it was 400 baht. I went to just above Chaweng lake.