Thai Traditional Tattooing

ChipieD

Sam's tattoo on Kampaeng Din near the corner of Th. Surriwong does traditional tatttooing. Almost everyone else in town uses machines. I have seen some work from a guy up in Pai but can't remember his name. Depending on what you want and why you want a traditional tattoo then Sam would be a good place to start.

Be very aware of the additional dangers of cross infection using traditional tattoo equipment. It is much harder to clean (ie autoclave) and even if the needles are changed for each person which is the bare minium required, the rest of the equipment wont be properly sterilised.

Good luck and when/if you get it done post up a picture of the result

regards

CB

will if they use new inks and bamboo needles he should be fine shouldn't he? Lots of bamboo tattoing goes on down south, and it seems very clean, everything was sterile or new. But then again I have seen tons of nasty dirty places.

The tradiitonal needles aren't bamboo, they're metal. Or at least they are nowadays.

Remember the thread where WeHo claimed that you might as well hang a sign around your neck saying, "I'm stupid", as get a tattoo.

What ever happened to WeHo anyway? :o

Haha...Maybe it-s better to waite till I know I to speak and write in Thai lol!

Remember the thread where WeHo claimed that you might as well hang a sign around your neck saying, "I'm stupid", as get a tattoo.

What ever happened to WeHo anyway? :D

At least you can throw away the sign if you ever finally manage to get your head together :o

Naka.

will if they use new inks and bamboo needles he should be fine shouldn't he? Lots of bamboo tattoing goes on down south, and it seems very clean, everything was sterile or new. But then again I have seen tons of nasty dirty places.

The hammer and the handle holding the needles are bamboo or wood which is impossible to autoclave, consequently any blood or serum splatter will cause cross contamination. The needles are metal and "should" be replaced after each use but commonly aren't in cheaper places. The needles are tied in with bamboo or rice stem thread which is again not sterile. A tattoo is equated as comparable to a third degree burn to the same area. It it isn't clean when it is done, kept clean after it is done, and done well it will not heal cleanly, get keloid scarring, and not be what you want. Check out a lot of the old style hand made tattoos around the country. There are some very good ones but also a lot with bad colour, poor line technique, and shading. Getting or doing a tattoo is a commitment for life - they are easy to get but not easy to remove.

My serious advice to you is to think very carefully about it and get one done by a competent practicioner. Doing trad tattoos with trad equipment is NOT the same as doing one with modern machines and inks.

CB

I never understood the idea of "where can i get a cheap tattoo?" As Crowboy said it's something for life why not pay for the highest quality.

Ahh thanks for the info, the one place i saw in Koh Phi Phi replaced everything it seems. I love tattoos, but I think I would rather live with no regrets :o

a lot of people like tattoos on women's lower back. kinds of informs them who they are "doing" in case they are too drunk too remember the names. :o

Yeah, it also becomes a great target for the money shot.

SNL or mad tv had a rare moment of funny when they did a skit about older moms leaning over things etc and showing saggy tramp stamps or bumpersticker tattoos.

actually, here it is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kJuluUS-f3g

'Afroman' does traditional hand-poked tattoos. His shop is just beside Libra Guesthouse, on Moonmuang Soi 9.

I've seen his work and it is very, very good. He has plenty of photos of his work so you can see the quality. AFAIK all the other tattoo shops in CM use machines.

a lot of people like tattoos on women's lower back. kinds of informs them who they are "doing" in case they are too drunk too remember the names. :o

Yeah, it also becomes a great target for the money shot.

SNL or mad tv had a rare moment of funny when they did a skit about older moms leaning over things etc and showing saggy tramp stamps or bumpersticker tattoos.

actually, here it is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kJuluUS-f3g

:D

The hammer and the handle holding the needles are bamboo or wood which is impossible to autoclave, consequently any blood or serum splatter will cause cross contamination. The needles are metal and "should" be replaced after each use but commonly aren't in cheaper places. The needles are tied in with bamboo or rice stem thread which is again not sterile. A tattoo is equated as comparable to a third degree burn to the same area. It it isn't clean when it is done, kept clean after it is done, and done well it will not heal cleanly, get keloid scarring, and not be what you want. Check out a lot of the old style hand made tattoos around the country. There are some very good ones but also a lot with bad colour, poor line technique, and shading. Getting or doing a tattoo is a commitment for life - they are easy to get but not easy to remove.

My serious advice to you is to think very carefully about it and get one done by a competent practicioner. Doing trad tattoos with trad equipment is NOT the same as doing one with modern machines and inks.

CB

ya I know...I know... Before getting done anything on my body, I always make sure to get to know well the place, the people, the hygien, etc!Otherwise I see else where! Plus in my oppinion traditional way is better as it is deeper! I did my first five years ago in Pukket and the colours and design are still the same!

I never understood the idea of "where can i get a cheap tattoo?" As Crowboy said it's something for life why not pay for the highest quality.

Ahh thanks for the info, the one place i saw in Koh Phi Phi replaced everything it seems. I love tattoos, but I think I would rather live with no regrets :o

Didn't ask for cheep tats!Asked for Traditional way!