English-teaching Opportunities In Chiang Rai

sallyomalley

I am moving to Thailand in a couple of months with the hopes of teaching English and volunteering in Northern Thailand. I'm very excited about this, and I'm growing more and more interested in possibly living in Chiang Rai. How much opportunity for employment is there in the city? I'm aware that teachers can't make as much money in Chiang Rai as in places like Bangkok, but that's okay. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the more reputable schools in Chiangrai-- ones where the atmosphere is friendly, and the teachers are generally treated fairly and enjoy their work. Also, which schools/EFL centers have bad reputations and should probably be avoided? I think my qualifications are pretty standard-- native speakers, college degree, and I will have completed my TESOL certification by the time I start looking for work, if all goes as planned. Basically, any information that you guys could pass along to me about what it's like to teach in Chiang Rai would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Also, this is kind of unrelated, but I'm curious-- what seems to be the most common occupation among Chiang Rai's expats? efl teaching? general retirement? small-business operations? work with NGOs?

I am moving to Thailand in a couple of months with the hopes of teaching English and volunteering in Northern Thailand. I'm very excited about this, and I'm growing more and more interested in possibly living in Chiang Rai. How much opportunity for employment is there in the city? I'm aware that teachers can't make as much money in Chiang Rai as in places like Bangkok, but that's okay. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the more reputable schools in Chiangrai-- ones where the atmosphere is friendly, and the teachers are generally treated fairly and enjoy their work. Also, which schools/EFL centers have bad reputations and should probably be avoided? I think my qualifications are pretty standard-- native speakers, college degree, and I will have completed my TESOL certification by the time I start looking for work, if all goes as planned. Basically, any information that you guys could pass along to me about what it's like to teach in Chiang Rai would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Also, this is kind of unrelated, but I'm curious-- what seems to be the most common occupation among Chiang Rai's expats? efl teaching? general retirement? small-business operations? work with NGOs?

check out this forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=116

also

ajarn.com

What age group are you thinking about teaching and what is your major?

DamrongratSongkroh School is looking for a science teacher at the moment and

Piti Suksa School are looking for a Montessori teacher.

Check out http://www.teflwatch.org/ for some teachers comments about schools in Thailand, one or two from Chiang Rai

thank you for getting back to me.. :o i am familiar with ajarn.com and teflwatch and they seem like good resources. and to answer your questions, my degree is in journalism and my teaching experience has been with elementary and junior high school kids (in japan), although i'm pretty open about teaching students of any age in thailand. i am very interested in the possibility of working in a montessori school-- thanks for the tip! however, i will be looking to start work at the end of december/early january, and this is still a bit far off, so the position you mentioned might be filled by then.

check out this forum

also

ajarn.com

Check out http://www.teflwatch.org/ for some teachers comments about schools in Thailand, one or two from Chiang Rai

I noticed that you are informing that Piti Suksa is looking for a Montessori teacher. They always are, because the organization and management of this school is not okay. At this moment they have about 22 so called teachers.....only 2 (TWO!) of them are certified Montessori teacher. Isn't that strange? Besides that they think that you can become a Montessori teacher by studying an online course, without any practical instructions while the certified Montessori course usually takes 4 full time years.

check out this forum

also

ajarn.com

I noticed that you are informing that Piti Suksa is looking for a Montessori teacher. They always are, because the organization and management of this school is not okay. At this moment they have about 22 so called teachers.....only 2 (TWO!) of them are certified Montessori teacher. Isn't that strange? Besides that they think that you can become a Montessori teacher by studying an online course, without any practical instructions while the certified Montessori course usually takes 4 full time years.

Oh no, the truth about schools in Chiangrai (and Thailand in general) is emerging.....

thank you tayto...sorry to disappoint you, but my real name isn't actually sally o'malley. my first name is sally, i'm american, i have irish ancestry, and as a kid i earned the nickname sally o'malley. probably partly for the irishness and partly for the rhyming factor. so there you have it. :o

check out this forum

also

ajarn.com

Sounds like a disgruntled ex teacher.

Maybe you should post on http://www.teflwatch.org/

check out this forum

also

ajarn.com

Actually, ISPY is quite accurate. In fact, I think they may be down to just one certified Montessori teacher after the recent abrupt departure of another teacher. The number used to be somewhat higher, but it has slowly dwindled. Now they have seen fit to employ a board member (who is not a certfied, trained teacher - nor Montessori certified either) as a lead teacher. :o

I'm not a disgruntled ex-teacher, but am an increasingly disgruntled parent of a student, now seriously looking for an alternative. Unfortunately the choices for a good, bilingual education are pretty limited here. I love living here, so I'll make the best of the situation. For sure, that'll have to include lots of supplemental home tutoring. :D

check out this forum

also

ajarn.com

Actually, ISPY is quite accurate. In fact, I think they may be down to just one certified Montessori teacher after the recent abrupt departure of another teacher. The number used to be somewhat higher, but it has slowly dwindled. Now they have seen fit to employ a board member (who is not a certfied, trained teacher - nor Montessori certified either) as a lead teacher. :o

I'm not a disgruntled ex-teacher, but am an increasingly disgruntled parent of a student, now seriously looking for an alternative. Unfortunately the choices for a good, bilingual education are pretty limited here. I love living here, so I'll make the best of the situation. For sure, that'll have to include lots of supplemental home tutoring. :D

I am not a disgruntled ex-teacher either, but I do know the real truth about this school and about the abrupt departure of a certified Montessori Teacher of the Lower Elementary. She did not want to quit her

job at all. Her class was organized, students and parents were happy with this, for this school, new situation. Nevertheless she was forced to quit.

I'm sorry for the teacher concerned and can sympathize with her.

Sometimes working with Thai management and especially PTA can be a real drag.

Even so called respectable members of the community want to treat their teachers like the Burmeese slaves that work in their home.

If she is a qualified Montessori trained teacher she will have no problem getting a job in Thailand.

check out this forum

also

ajarn.com

NES (New Zealand Education services) is looking for part time English teachers. It is next to Sammakee high school.

The management is friendly and good and they have a good working system.

Teachers are usually informed well in advance before courses start so

that teachers have time to plan ahead of time.