Great Hungaria Goulash At Villa 33

JohnBKKK

The Eurogourmet offers great Hungarian Beef Goulash in 5 OZ jars (perfect portion for one) at Villa 33 - the stuff is great and anybody can heat it up in a microwave or hot water while boiling the pasta - the sauce is fantastic and the meat melts on your tongue

Edited by JohnBKKK

The Eurogourmet offers great Hungarian Beef Goulash in 5 OZ jars (perfect portion for one) at Villa 33 - the stuff is great and anybody can heat it up in a microwave or hot water while boiling the pasta - the sauce is fantastic and the meat melts on your tongue

where is villa 33 ?

Villa Supermarket on Sukhumvit next to Soi 33

how times change - there was a time when Villa 33 was sufficient and everybody in bangkok knew what you were talking about - the biggest supermarket for imported food products - i guess those were the days when the landmark hotel deserved its name and it was visible from way down sukhumvit 71 ...... getting old

well, anyway, you will find th place worth a visit - great selection of top notch imported food - they even have real fois gras in the freezer and a whole range of Eurogourmet sausages and pies

Slightly OT but I had Hungarian Goulash on the brain in recent months -- I bought 1 pound of Hungarian Paprika while in the USA and brought it back for my slow cooker. Also Mustard seed and powdered Horseradish instead of buying those imported jars ... plus rubbed Sage to mix in pork sausage fixings... might even have enough sage to send a few care packages to the 'usual suspects' PM

The secret is to roast the paprica until its chared and than peel it + equal amounts of beef and onions with a lot of roasted garlic and than a demi glace and good beef stock - slow cooked at low temperature for eight hours and than all veggies are removed and thelast drop of flavor squeeszed out of them

That's how its made

BKKK -- The Hungarian Paprika is already powderd -- I have made demi-glace before -- takes about 2 days and a 25:1 ratio (bones, wine, bouquet garni, etc.) beginning to end -- may have to make some compromises for everything to fit in the slower cooker from BigC --

I also have learned -- as I cannot fry or saute in my service apartment -- to bake (with some sunflower oil) the onions, garlic, tomato paste etc. in my toaster oven before putinng them into the crock pot... the 'good' stock may have to be courtesy of Knorr but with a real stove and kitchen a good stock is certainly doable as I guess is the demi-glace although you really need a large oven for that

Also I now have a year-supply of Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning from Opelousas, Louisiana so culinary life couldn't be better

Hi jazzbo,

with the Paprica i mean Bellpeppers which are chared and than washed and peeled - the give the Hungarian Goulash the right flavor - the beef is dry-rubbed before frying in hot paprica powder which we buy from the importer

We make a lot of demi glace and even in a professional kitchen it takes about 9 hours to make where of course most of the time one does not actually work it - usually make it on a Monday to last all week and there is really nothing to replace it - have been thinking about offering it in the supermarket in 5OZ jars,but I would have to charge THB 250.00 for a jar and that would probably put most people off

BKKK -- when I say '2 days' for demi-glace it is because, after simmering for a bunch of hours the bones, wine, garni, etc., I would strain it and then set it in a cool place or refrigerator overnight so that the fat solidifies and is easy to spoon/skim off the top. Then on day-2 reduce it down to next to nothing.

Hi jazzbo,

that was no critique, we use a hose attached to a pump to suck off the fat from the top - here is a little trick that might help speed things up - place sme slices of cheap toast bread on the top, they will absorb a lot of the fat - remove and use a large spoon to ladel off the rest - saves a bunch of time and space in your refridgerator

hi guys.

i am a bit confused here.

what is this hungarian goulash? you are talking about???

roasted bell pepper for the hungarian flaver? demi glace???

well, i am sure what you cooking is good. however, i dont think it is a "hungarian goulash" :o

to clear a major point: in hungary goulash( gulyas) is a soup. but I assume you talking about the stew, (porkolt is the name in hungary) which is fine, as internationally that get spread somehow.

The soup is cooked from beef, however the stew is more often pork, as it is cheaper, and easiert ot cook( chicken is fine too).

Demi glace is from someplace else.

so, no 9h-2 days cooking. should be a good news....but still it takes a few hours, mostly depends on the beef. again pork, chicken is faster.

the most important ingredients are the onion, the paprika powder, tomato and paprika( letcho :D ), and spices...majoram for beef. if you like also some red wine.

well, one time might come over to visit to try.

ps: tingtong happen to be Hungarian, and loves the cuisine, cook it also.

Hi chaps, yes in standard Hungarian Goulash is no demi glace and there are no Bell Peppers - however the main thing about Hungarian Goulash ist as I stated before, an equal weight of onions to beef or pork and to rub the beef with hot paprica powder before frying and while frying it to avoid it burning - to be honest, never heard of a chicken Goulash .... I choose beef since beef shank is a perfect cut to use for Goulash with lots of flavor (or any slow cooked stew) and not too expensive - The demi glace and red bell peppers do not take anything away from the dish, but do add more depth to the sauce and I do strongly believe that if one can improve on a traditional dish, one should - especially since you will find no pieces of any of the veggies used in the finished product - those are presse thus relieved of their juices and flavours and the pulp is discarded - The only other place in BKK I ever had a decent Goulash was at the old Nick's NO.1 which unfortunately, to my knowledge does not exist anymore....

I'm sure if the Hungarian Housewife happened to have some demi glace standing in her fridge she would put some in her Goulash :o

Edited by JohnBKKK

well. as any dish, the best if it is cooked to your taste.

it is true that it needs lots of onion, however, i dont think it is as much as the weight of the meat.

also, have to disappoint you, no rubbing with paprika. as frying( sautee) the meat, you dont add paprika, only when you ready to add the water, just before....this is how you can avoid to burn the paprika, thus avoid the bitter taste. the only veggies are tomato and pepper(paprika).

nothing wrong with gravy really, only that it is not in this dish( well, not in the Hungarian, anyway) :o

chicken is more famous from Chicken paprikash, so we use veal to that( beef never)...the basic idea is similar in the two dish,in the paprikash you thicken the souce ( a more liquid of course) with sour cream+ a bit flour.

all in all, happy to see some like hungarian food.

and for flavouring the goulash chop lemon peel,carraway seeds and garlic to a fine paste,delicious

for haven sake BigChang STOP it - you are going to give the Hungarians here a heart attack :o

Edited by JohnBKKK

well. as any dish, the best if it is cooked to your taste.

it is true that it needs lots of onion, however, i dont think it is as much as the weight of the meat.

also, have to disappoint you, no rubbing with paprika. as frying( sautee) the meat, you dont add paprika, only when you ready to add the water, just before....this is how you can avoid to burn the paprika, thus avoid the bitter taste. the only veggies are tomato and pepper(paprika).

nothing wrong with gravy really, only that it is not in this dish( well, not in the Hungarian, anyway) :D

chicken is more famous from Chicken paprikash, so we use veal to that( beef never)...the basic idea is similar in the two dish,in the paprikash you thicken the souce ( a more liquid of course) with sour cream+ a bit flour.

all in all, happy to see some like hungarian food.

You guys are making me CRAVE this hungarian goulash that I've never heard of until now. I am going to start drooling any minute now. And where I live, we can't get no good Hungarian food and it's gonna be a while before I'm back in Bkk again. You're all cruel, so so cruel. :o

I've only been to the Villa at soi 11. So only the one at 33 carries this heavenly-sounding stuff?

hey, for a change: carraway seed is in the spices :o

garlic is a might be....in the stew. In the goulash soup a definite yes. but then again you have different veggies too.( carrot, potato)

lemon?? a BIG NO!! :D

but tastes might differ. that would be bigchang goulash!

i'm not diputing it as you say you are hungarian,so you must know

but in catering colege in germany they tought me chopped lemoncest is part of the original goulash recipie,i just cooked 60litres yesterday

its a bigchang goulash then,lol

btw i got same great seasonings from hungary which my dad brings back every year,one is a goulash paste,great for potroasts and stews

bc