Ais Gprs

bkkmick

Normally my AIS mobile bill is between 1k and 2k. I use the internet a lot via my phone (mostly business). This month it's over 3k.

I checked the bill to see that I'm being billed for 2900 minutes (about 48 hours) I'm sure that I wasn't on for that long but you never know. I have an O2 and sometimes when it's taking a long time to download a page I switch the phone off but I wonder if it is still accessing the net as sometimes when I switch the phone back on the page has finally downloaded.

My question is: Is there a cheaper GPRS package out there that provides a decent access speed?

Cheers

Mick

Thanks Stu.

I checked their website and it says "This new GPRS packages are available for ONLY customers who never subscribe for GPRS and not holding GPRS promotion on hand."

I'll give that number a call. Just was hoping that there was something cheaper.

Cheers

Go into any televis shop and you can sign up to a 1 2 call plan, I have 100 hours @ 350b + tax, I recently changed my phone and just had this plan activated on my new phone and let the old one run out. Also when t expires i.e you dont renew you can start again at any time. I find 100 hours enough but they also do unlimited for 999b + tax as previously reported.

Normally my AIS mobile bill is between 1k and 2k. I use the internet a lot via my phone (mostly business). This month it's over 3k.

I checked the bill to see that I'm being billed for 2900 minutes (about 48 hours) I'm sure that I wasn't on for that long but you never know. I have an O2 and sometimes when it's taking a long time to download a page I switch the phone off but I wonder if it is still accessing the net as sometimes when I switch the phone back on the page has finally downloaded.

My question is: Is there a cheaper GPRS package out there that provides a decent access speed?

Cheers

Mick

Mick, I am using a NetSim from AIS. Does not have any promotion for calls, but if I remember correctly, 40 hrs is only 300 Baht per month. You should check it out. Also if you dont use the 40 hrs up in any month, then they are carried over to the next month free.

This is indeed one of the problems of using phone pda's such as the O2.

Pretty much every mobile phone company all over the world charges their gprs (edge) users per amount of data transferred.

Time connected is not metered.

Hence these devices do not have an auto disconnect feature!

Normally the O2 disconnects only when you keep the hang-up button depressed for 5 seconds, or when you click disconnect on your gprs status icon on top of the screen.

Switching the PDA off, does not switch off the phone! Otherwise people would not be able to call you!

But luckily with the right package gprs usage is quite cheap over here. I pay 450 Baht for 350 hours/month on my AIS post paid simcard...

If you do not subscribe to a package, you'll get billed 1 Baht/minute...

Monty, is that pay 450 Baht for 350 hours/month a NetSim card that ThaiHotels mentioned. 350 hours would suit me fine...

No, it's just a regular post paid gsm advance simcard ( a number I've had for about 8 years now). I just walked into a telewiz shop where they offered me several choices of possible gprs packages, I chose one and ever since I get billed the extra 450 Baht.

The netsim is a one2call prepaid simcard, on which you can choose a gprs package. At the end of the month you just take care enough credit is loaded, and the system will automatically deduct the proper amount for the next month.

I think currently the netsims come with a promotional 30 hours gprs free of charge!

Thanks guys...John is that 100 hours GRPS for 350 baht? Thanks ThaiHotels, if I can't get the 100 hours that John mentioned then NetSim is the way for me.

Thanks again.

Yes, its the prepaid 1 2 call gprs plan @350baht + tax per month for 100 hours, you top up your sim cardas normal and on the anniversary of the start date every month they deduct the 350 + tax, if you do not have enough credit they try a few times when you go online then if you do not topup they will close the plan and charge you 1baht per minute.