Visa "o" or "b"?

Hello friends,  upon moving to Thailand next year to reside and buy a business I was planning on entering BKK with an O visa.  I am married to a Thai and the O visa seems to be fairly easy to get and renew.  My problem is that in order to work at my business (wife is buying it) I need a B visa so I can get a work permit.  How can I get a B visa from a Thai consulate without the necessary letter of invitation from prespective employer?  The employer is me.  Also, are B visa's tough to renew and maintain?  I think I would worry more about having Thai immigration rejecting my B visa renewal a lot more than an O visa.  Am I just worrying for nothing???

Thank you for the info.  I was told that work permits can be obtained with a Non-Imm O Visa also.  Is this true or are you not sure?  I would much rather go after and try to maintain an O visa but will go after the B if it is necessary.

Non-immigrant "O" visa is for supporting family ie.wife and does not allow you to work under any circumstances.

Also it is not easy changing from a "O" to a "B" once you are in Thailand without the help of an expensive lawyer.

Good luck

Sev

Hello Sev.  I was told by somebody at the Sunbelt Asia company, which I am sure everyone on here is familar with, that I could get a work permit with an O visa and that their lawyer would take care of it for a nominal fee.  I am now confused................

Trip, believe me "O" visa is for supporting a wife and family or visting friends on a long stay vacation, plus to renew it you need proof of income or a certain amount in the bank to justify your visa.

"B" visa is for Business and to apply for a work permit you need this stamp in your passport,   ok you can transfer it once you are here but you are in th hands of the "Lawyer" to sort it out, which means he can name his price as it is not that simple, and immigration know this is a tried and tested loophole.

Get a "B" if you can before you arrive even if it is a single entry at least it gives you 3 months to get your work permit in place and easier to extend to a year visa.

Good Luck and keep what is yours, yours.

Sev

You do not need a "B" visa in your passport for a work permit. You also can have a “O" visa for the work permit.

"O" is for other. Yes O can be for supporting your family, can also be for retirement but it’s also for looking at business opportunities before you set up a company.

When the “O" non immigrant visa expires then if you want a new work permit, you must apply for a "B" non immigrant visa to keep your work permit alive. However that can be even one year down the road.

What problem is that then? You simply apply for the “B" visa then. Why would you need an expensive lawyer?

So you reccommend starting with an  "O" visa and start looking to set up a business, once you have a business in mind apply for a "B" visa?

Why not apply for a "B" visa before he comes out it certainly saves alot of messing around with the immigration office and does every one agree:

IT IS EASIER TO GET A "B" VISA IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY CONSULATE THAN IT IS IN ASIA.

I think it is but I have no vested interests in the matter.

Sev

:cool:

I certainly appreciate everyone taking the time to discuss my concern's even though some are not agreeing with each other.  This websitehttp://www.asiatradingonline.com/workpermit.htm has been somewhat useful with the information it provides.  It seems that both methods are available as you guys have discussed.  The topic now becomes, which method is easier?

B is for business so why ever would one get an O then change to a B later ?  An unnecessary additional step.

Get the proper visa at the outset. I asked a Thai Consul General for his thoughts and he said he would NEVER issue

an O for business purposes.

So if I were to obtain a letter from a Thai business owner who runs a bungalow/Bar/Restaurant.

Requesting that I be allowed a type B visa to help run the business, that could get me a type B? Do they have to put up any money for employeeing me or is it possiable to say that I would be working for trade of room and board.

You are not actually changing from an “O" to a " B" The "O" expires in a year then you apply for the "B"

Why not do the "B" the first time?

The reason is your company has not been set up yet. The applicant is simply exploring the idea of owning a business. If he decides to own one. Then he forms the company and can apply for a work permit.

Without forming the company, who else from another company would give the applicant a letter stating they are looking to employ the person at a set salary? This is needed for the "B" visa and is not the requirement for the "O" visa. We've had many cases like this and the Consulates give the "O" multi entry visas. Even when asking for a non-immigrant visa. They stamp "O" and you have no problem getting the work permit because it’s a “O”.

The bottom line the "O" visa saves you the trouble and expense of forming a company before you decide that’s 100% you want to do.  The other advantage is in your home country you can apply for it without coming to Thailand and setting up a company first. You've eliminated an extra trip to the border and getting just 3 months versus one year multi entry.

If you have a limited company already then of course you would simply apply for the “B”

So if I were to obtain a letter from a Thai business owner who runs a bungalow/Bar/Restaurant.

Requesting that I be allowed a type B visa to help run the business, that could get me a type B? Do they have to put up any money for employeeing me or is it possiable to say that I would be working for trade of room and board.

They would have to state they are employing you for minimum 35,000 Baht per month. If married 45,000 Baht.

They would have to state they are employing you for minimum 35,000 Baht per month. If married 45,000 Baht.

Sunbelt

Hi K. Naravadee,

I think it would be correct to add:

That the Employee has to Register at the Tax Office and

show that he/she is paying Income Tax on the 35,000

- 45,000 Salary (How much would the Tax be?)

AND the Company must have 2 Million Baht (is that correct?)

in the Bank to obtain a Work Permit for EACH Foreigner

Roger

Dear K. Roger,

"That the Employee has to Register at the Tax Office and

show that he/she is paying Income Tax on the 35,000

- 45,000 Salary (How much would the Tax be?)"

I was wrong. Its 30,000 income per month for a single person.

The tax on 30,000 Baht is 18,000 Baht. When you would renew your work permit, the Labor Dept would check if you are paying taxes  

"AND the Company must have 2 Million Baht (is that correct?)

in the Bank to obtain a Work Permit for EACH Foreigner"

Not with the new laws. This link expains.

http://www.thaivisa.com/317.0.html

To be eligible, foreigners must DO ONE of the following: Note. it says ONE of the following...

- Serve workplaces with registered capital of at least two million baht. One foreigner can be hired for every two million baht of capital.

- Serve workplaces which have paid taxes of at least five million baht in the past three years. One foreigner can be hired for every five million baht in tax.

- Serve export firms which bring in foreign currency of at least three million baht a year. One foreigner can be hired for every three million baht in income, up to a maximum of three foreigners.

- Serve workplaces which employ no more than five foreign workers, where the firm observes a ratio of 50 Thai workers for every one foreigner.

- Pay at least 18,000 baht in personal income tax in the past year.

Foreigners who have not worked here before must produce documents from potential employers confirming they will be paid at least 30,000 baht if they are single and 45,000 baht each if they are married.