Stole Mobile Phone

Darlek

Stolen mobile phone

On my past two trips to Phuket I have unfortunately had mobile phones stolen, each time with a considerable amount of credit still left on my prepaid One-2-Call account.

Both times I went back to the Nokia agency where I bought the phone to see if the number of the stolen phone could be blocked and if the remaining credit could be transfered over to my new number. However, I was told that this was not possible. Why?

It would certainly curb the black market for stolen mobile phones and give peace of mind to the previous owner who would be assured that at least the thieves would not benefit from their wrongdoing.

Thursday, July 29, 2004 Gregory Westcott, Phoneless in Phuket.

“You can keep the same mobile phone number and have the credit transfered to a new phone.

To do so, you first should report the phone number of your stolen phone at an Advanced Info Service (AIS) service center or by calling the AIS call center at Tel: 1175.

You will need to prove that you were the owner of the mobile phone by providing details such as the number of the phone that was stolen, phone numbers that you frequently dialed, the amount of credit your account was most recently “topped up” with, and the time and date when you last topped up your account.

If we are satisfied with the accuracy of the details you provide, we will block the number of your old mobile phone.

You then need to report to the police that your mobile phone was stolen, and take the police report and your passport (Thais may bring an ID card) to an AIS service center, where you can apply for a new SIM card with the same number as was used in your old phone.

We will also transfer any credit left from your old account to your new one. ”

Thursday, July 29, 2004 Wilai Kiengpradoo, Assistant Vice-President, Public Relations, AIS