Types Ofaromatic Wood For Grilling/smoking

Tagaa

I am now living in Issan and my crate of stuff, including my charcoal grill, has finally arrived. I made some inquiries about aromatic wood for grilling/smoking and was advised to try mango & makam. I've tried mango, but am not 100% pleased with it. (I would kill for a hickory tree)

I would like to know what else you all might use here.

As an aside, I have thought about having my brother send me some hickory nuts to plant here. This is a "long term" solution, obviously. Will deciduous trees, like hickory, grow here in Issan? What about mesquite?

Thanks, Tagaa

I am now living in Issan and my crate of stuff, including my charcoal grill, has finally arrived. I made some inquiries about aromatic wood for grilling/smoking and was advised to try mango & makam. I've tried mango, but am not 100% pleased with it. (I would kill for a hickory tree)

try some BASIL it will add a nice flavor. I have been looking for Basil wood-Basil after it has gone to seed and is getting brittle. Have not found it as yet only fresh but it is cheap. Will try to grow some soon.

You using Gas or charcoal?

As an aside, I have thought about having my brother send me some hickory nuts to plant here. This is a "long term" solution, obviously. Will deciduous trees, like hickory, grow here in Issan? What about mesquite?

Thanks, Tagaa

Someone was asking questions about this very subject some time back and there is an excellent wood growing naturally upcountry.

Try a forum search at the top of the page.