Thai Passport Renewal Shocker

Called the Thai embassy in Washington DC today to ask about renewal of my wife's passport by mail.

After telling me to just look at their website for information (several times) I explained That the website did not supply all the information I needed....number of photo's required for example...the woman finally took the time to listen.

Well....good thing I called.

She asked "Has your wife renewed her passport before"?....I replied she had....and was nearing her 10 year expiration date.

She informed me she would now have to apply in person...to be photographed and fingerprinted....she could not renew by mail.

I told her I was in the Boston area....she said go to New York, Washington or Chicago :o

So, looks like an expensive renewal.....but I can't decide on Chicago pizza....New York deli...or going to kick Bush in the nuts.

Anyway....fair warning to others....good luck,

Eric

I told her I was in the Boston area....she said go to New York, Washington or Chicago :o

It probably falls under wishful thinking, but you should phone the honorary Thai consulate in Boston and double-check whether there is anything that they can do for you in Boston.

It probably falls under wishful thinking, but you should phone the honorary Thai consulate in Boston and double-check whether there is anything that they can do for you in Boston.

My first question posed.......no dice. But thanks for trying :D

Did you actually call Boston yourself? Couldn't hurt to try. The answer from Boston will probably be the same as that which you received from the embassy staffer in Washington but on the other hand, if not, it wouldn't be the first time that a consular official doled out bad information.

As Thailand are now issueing Biometric passports (epassports) you need to present yourself to have your face and fingerprints digitally photographed for the passport.

Dont think too hard about Pizza or Deli as epassports are valid for 5 years and currently not extendable so you'll be able to check out the other delight in 5 years time.

So, looks like an expensive renewal.....but I can't decide on Chicago pizza....New York deli...or going to kick Bush in the nuts.

Eric

D.C., and give him one for me please. I think you can get a decent pizza there too, so no sacrifice.

Ya.....the sadisfaction would last a life time, i'd swear off pizza for life for the chance even if I missed.

Did you actually call Boston yourself? Couldn't hurt to try. The answer from Boston will probably be the same as that which you received from the embassy staffer in Washington but on the other hand, if not, it wouldn't be the first time that a consular official doled out bad information.

Yeah.... tried Boston....no luck.

As Thailand are now issueing Biometric passports (epassports) you need to present yourself to have your face and fingerprints digitally photographed for the passport.

Dont think too hard about Pizza or Deli as epassports are valid for 5 years and currently not extendable so you'll be able to check out the other delight in 5 years time.

We'll be planning renewals on our trips back to Thailand in the future.

One thing I forgot to mention in my OP.....it's going to take more than TWO MONTHS to receive the new passport.

One thing I forgot to mention in my OP.....it's going to take more than TWO MONTHS to receive the new passport.

That really is outrageous! When we applied for our son's Thai passport in London, it took about 4 weeks.

(By the way, should you find yourself in DC, can you please give any Republican a kick in the nuts? But don't leave it 5 years, cos they won't be there then!)

Scouse.

That really is outrageous! When we applied for our son's Thai passport in London, it took about 4 weeks.

(By the way, should you find yourself in DC, can you please give any Republican a kick in the nuts? But don't leave it 5 years, cos they won't be there then!)

Scouse.

We have decided on Washington D.C. (sale on plane tickets).....I am preparing some heavy duty steel toed work boots for the occasion.

The entire republican party may be singing soprano after my visit.

Called the Thai embassy in Washington DC today to ask about renewal of my wife's passport by mail.

After telling me to just look at their website for information (several times) I explained That the website did not supply all the information I needed....number of photo's required for example...the woman finally took the time to listen.

She asked "Has your wife renewed her passport before"?....I replied she had....and was nearing her 10 year expiration date.

She informed me she would now have to apply in person...to be photographed and fingerprinted....she could not renew by mail.

Eric

Eric...

I too just ran into this situation.. Sorry, but that is the new law. Number one: Only Thai Embassies in the US can issue the new passports... They are the only ones that have the proper equipment to generate the new passports.

We had planned to travel to Washington... from Florida to renew my wife's passport... However, what we found out was that representatives of the Thai Embassy in Washington are going to various Wats (temples) to complete passport applications... They have already been to Miami and Tampa.

However, check with a temple near you... (You can go to www.thaiembassy.com to find the location of one near you).

They can tell you if the reps are planning on coming to their Wat.. If so, then you must get your wife's name on a list for the representatives to use when they arrive to complete the passport paperwork..

They will do the required pictures and the fingerprints... I don't yet know how long it takes to receive the returned passport...

Note: I am told by the embassy that once the newly required passport is issued... in the future we will be able to renew by mail....

Good luck

BobbyPhon....

Next time I go back, I'll be sure to kick Hilary and the liberals in the nuts. It's a well known fact that the passport siuation is backed up at this time due the Canada/Mexico/Caribbean situation, No need to be shocked about a 2 month wait time.

Edited by unbiasbob

Next time I go back, I'll be sure to kick Hilary and the liberals in the nuts. It's a well known fact that the passport siuation is backed up at this time due the Canada/Mexico/Caribbean situation, No need to be shocked about a 2 month wait time.

It might be the time to start working on a American citizenship, as getting an Amercian passport is easy and they last longer. It's best if Thailand goes the wayside like Burma, she can just leave on the AM passport. I worked with my wife, to pass the test and she did so 30 years ago and hasn't looked back since. No woorys about coming and going as well, and it's good to have both. ...... yeah kick some of those whining self serving pasty two faced rat basXXXXt for me too. give them something to cry about!!!!!!

TOM

Eric

Eric...

I too just ran into this situation.. Sorry, but that is the new law. Number one: Only Thai Embassies in the US can issue the new passports... They are the only ones that have the proper equipment to generate the new passports.

We had planned to travel to Washington... from Florida to renew my wife's passport... However, what we found out was that representatives of the Thai Embassy in Washington are going to various Wats (temples) to complete passport applications... They have already been to Miami and Tampa.

However, check with a temple near you... (You can go to www.thaiembassy.com to find the location of one near you).

They can tell you if the reps are planning on coming to their Wat.. If so, then you must get your wife's name on a list for the representatives to use when they arrive to complete the passport paperwork..

They will do the required pictures and the fingerprints... I don't yet know how long it takes to receive the returned passport...

Note: I am told by the embassy that once the newly required passport is issued... in the future we will be able to renew by mail....

Good luck

BobbyPhon....

Thanks for the info. I've already bought plane tickets for D.C.....but will pass on the temple information to some friends in the same situation.

It might be the time to start working on a American citizenship, as getting an Amercian passport is easy and they last longer. It's best if Thailand goes the wayside like Burma, she can just leave on the AM passport. I worked with my wife, to pass the test and she did so 30 years ago and hasn't looked back since. No woorys about coming and going as well, and it's good to have both. ...... yeah kick some of those whining self serving pasty two faced rat basXXXXt for me too. give them something to cry about!!!!!!

TOM

Yes..citizenship is our next step.

My wifes pasport expired too.Same story trip to DC. I asked the embasy if they could extend her pasport so she could travel to Thailand and get it renewed on her next trip. They said Yes. Send the pasport with a request for extension and her travel plans and they would grant an extension. No travel to DC

• 2 weeks later...

Back from D.C.

All went smoothly, we were the only customers, nice folks there....they even fed us some fresh baked goodies while we waited :o

Got out quickly and did a whirlwind tour of the sights...Lincoln memorial, World War Two memorial, Washington monument, Korean War Memorial, Saw Bush flying in in the helicopter, White House, Capitol building and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum....all in one very long day....flew out and back the same day....I'm deliriously tired.

Unfortunately I did not get to put my foot in the arse of our great dictator....he had too many Marines surrounding him :D

Now a 2 month wait for the new passport.....ain't this new e-passport technology grand?

• 1 month later...
Passport arrived by mail yesterday....10/11/07 application/ 11/21/07 arrival.

Congrats ! pumpuiman, you had done well.

Your wife's TH passport had arrived safely. I guess she won't be bother with this stuff for at least 5 years.

I also did the same, last Wednesday Nov. 14, I flew into NY, and took taxi straight to Manhattan to do my e-passport at the Thai Consulate. They took fingerprint (from index finger from both hands only) and the picture. Flew back to Florida that evening. I'm expected to receive my new passport in about two months.

There is a lesson to be learned from these who kindly posted here. I missed seeing the news about the representatives from the Thai Embassy, who travel from States to States, giving other Thais in that areas an opportunity to do it in person.

As you see, this is the very first time I'm on this particular topic- 'Visa & Immigration'.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed these useful info.

I wonder why Thailand doesn't make the life of the biometric passport 10 years

There's been some discussion of this in relation to UK biometric passports which are valid for 10 years. The company which makes the chips which hold the bio data doesn't guarantee that they'll last ten years, so if the chip in your Brit passport packs up, you've got to fork out for a totally new passport, even if the current one has nine years left.

Scouse.

I wonder why Thailand doesn't make the life of the biometric passport 10 years

There's been some discussion of this in relation to UK biometric passports which are valid for 10 years. The company which makes the chips which hold the bio data doesn't guarantee that they'll last ten years, so if the chip in your Brit passport packs up, you've got to fork out for a totally new passport, even if the current one has nine years left.

Scouse.

Thanks for that Scouse. Now I know. :o