Are You All That Cheap?!?!?

naammanow

Went to Giorgio restaurant in the city yesterday and was charged a 10% “service charge” When asking what it was for there was no reason but since about a month already in place and “because everybody is doing is” Used to eat for about 700 to 800 baht for two, now the bill was 1,118 baht for the same deal. Wonder if this is the new norm in Chiang Mai and is something because they can get away with? After all, why not as they’re full every night. In hotels yes, but in restaurants? Anybody has had any experiences like this?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Giorgio restaurant in the city yesterday and was charged a 10% "service charge" When asking what it was for there was no reason but since about a month already in place and "because everybody is doing is" Used to eat for about 700 to 800 baht for two, now the bill was 1,118 baht for the same deal. Wonder if this is the new norm in Chiang Mai and is something because they can get away with? After all, why not as they're full every night. In hotels yes, but in restaurants? Anybody has had any experiences like this?
That would be the last time id dine there, i see it as a way for the management to steal the tips from the staff and shows greed, .. give em a wide berth id say,. :o

Went to Giorgio restaurant in the city yesterday and was charged a 10% "service charge" When asking what it was for there was no reason but since about a month already in place and "because everybody is doing is" Used to eat for about 700 to 800 baht for two, now the bill was 1,118 baht for the same deal. Wonder if this is the new norm in Chiang Mai and is something because they can get away with? After all, why not as they're full every night. In hotels yes, but in restaurants? Anybody has had any experiences like this?
Ask if its optional, or say i dont want to pay the service charge, please give me a shout when its ready and ill walk to the kitchen and collect it myself ! :o

Typically the service charge is to take the place of the tip and it is spread amongst all the staff, including, admin, cleaners, kitchen security etc... from the owners side it can also be used as leverage against breakage and theft etc... from the customers position if the food and service is good a 15% tip is not much to give so with the 10% service there is still room to leave the server a little extra.

Typically the service charge is to take the place of the tip and it is spread amongst all the staff, including, admin, cleaners, kitchen security etc... from the owners side it can also be used as leverage against breakage and theft etc... from the customers position if the food and service is good a 15% tip is not much to give so with the 10% service there is still room to leave the server a little extra.

am i in USAvisa.com or something? leverage against breakage and theft? :o what about leverage against food poisoning and dysentery from the customers side?

"Typically the service charge is to take the place of the tip ".. for whatever reason it is stealing from the staff, ,.if i ever accidently ate at an establishment with this 10 per cent rubbish id put the tip directly in the waiter/waitresses hand and not go back,.if its compulsory why not add it to the food price ,.reminds me of a joke, a shop had a collection box on the counter "for the blind "..after 6 months a customer noticed that the shop had indeed a new blind over the window :o

I have spoken to many workers in Thai establishments over the decades about these "service charges" and with a few notable exceptions, the money goes into the pocket of the owner and not to the workers. You have to understand that there are some Thai citizens people who get physically ill when they see Farangs give significant tips to workers who they consider to be sub-human.

am i in USAvisa.com or something? leverage against breakage and theft? :o what about leverage against food poisoning and dysentery from the customers side?

service charge is for the staff but thais dont know that........

Who tips 15 per cent in thailand ? :D , so do we give the additional 5 per cent to the waiting staff ?

Different establishments apply different policies with the service charge.

Some places actually do distribute it among the workers, others give nothing of it to the workers.

Most common based on what I am told from hospitality industry people, is to give a certain part of the service charge back to the workers but not all. There are different varieties of this latter policy. One is that the service charge forms one part of the workers salary. There may be a 'guaranteed' service charge of say 1000 baht, and the rest is up to how much is in the pot for that individual month.

Other establishments apply a fixed part of the salary regardless of the actual pot.

As a rule I never tip extra in establishments that apply a service charge.

It is really just a label though. It could just as easily be collected by raising the price of the item without specifying a 'service charge' anywhere - we have no real way of knowing what their markup is on an individual item.

Different establishments apply different policies with the service charge.

Some places actually do distribute it among the workers, others give nothing of it to the workers.

Most common based on what I am told from hospitality industry people, is to give a certain part of the service charge back to the workers but not all. There are different varieties of this latter policy. One is that the service charge forms one part of the workers salary. There may be a 'guaranteed' service charge of say 1000 baht, and the rest is up to how much is in the pot for that individual month.

Other establishments apply a fixed part of the salary regardless of the actual pot.

As a rule I never tip extra in establishments that apply a service charge.

It is really just a label though. It could just as easily be collected by raising the price of the item without specifying a 'service charge' anywhere - we have no real way of knowing what their markup is on an individual item.

I agree, this charge does encourage no tip, and i for one feel gulty leaving no tip if the staff have been good,.and to leave a tip and 10 per cent just dosent feel right,.

am i in USAvisa.com or something? leverage against breakage and theft? :D what about leverage against food poisoning and dysentery from the customers side?

I don't think you will find a service fee in the USA. Yes there is theft, breakage and and loss from the bar and kitchen. many establishments do pay out the service fee and often times it amounts to more than the base wage. As far as I know the OP said the place is always full so i assumed that the food and service were not an issue. The only reason i posted a reply was because i do have some background in this area and feel qualified to express my opinion. My country of origin has no factor in this however American are known to be good tippers. :o:D

I have asked many waitresses if they get the "service charge" added to their wages and never once have they said that they do. Just another example of the all too frequent greed openly displayed (by the restaurant owners)

Edited by john b good

I was told a few months back by another restaurant owner that all the "Italian" restaurants in Chiang Mai had gotten together and decided to start charging a ten percent service fee as there is strength in numbers.

It will be interesting to see if the others are doing it. :o

Went to Giorgio restaurant in the city yesterday and was charged a 10% “service charge” When asking what it was for there was no reason but since about a month already in place and “because everybody is doing is” Used to eat for about 700 to 800 baht for two, now the bill was 1,118 baht for the same deal. Wonder if this is the new norm in Chiang Mai and is something because they can get away with? After all, why not as they’re full every night. In hotels yes, but in restaurants? Anybody has had any experiences like this?

Before Georgio opened his place in Hangdong, I thought the service in town was quite good and was happy to leave a big tip. Since the opening of the second branch, the service quality took a significant drop in my opinion (since it has improved a bit but not yet up to the old standard). Perhaps this resulted in tips going down, mine did, and so he went for the 10%. When I get hit with the 10% like at Fuji, that is all they get because they have taken away my option.

Edited by Bill97

I was told a few months back by another restaurant owner that all the "Italian" restaurants in Chiang Mai had gotten together and decided to start charging a ten percent service fee as there is strength in numbers.

It will be interesting to see if the others are doing it. :o

Wow UG! You mean like in "a conspiracy" Maybe even m a f i a ? Like in Sicily and "Cosa Nostra"?//

Anyway, agree with Bill97 that the service dropped a lot after he opened the second branch, now fortunately a bit better again. I usually left a 10% (min. 100 baht) tip and will in the future point out that the service charge is the tip; even though I know it does not go to the staff. Probably they will leave once the tips dry out meaning lesser service, meaning less initiative to visit the place and then we get into a vicious circle all over again. Pity, think food quite OK. Georgio himself has had a second heart attack recently,meaning he rarely visits the city branch now and will leave for Italy end of the week for at least a month. Maybe another reason the service and attitude dropped. They probably do not care anyway I think as the place is always full and if one does not make a reservation one cannot get in. Hope he can keep it up with the tourists as the locals might avoid the place if they get slapped with the service charge. Indeed, as pointed out, will be interesting to hear if other (any or just Italian) restaurants follow this course as well.

Before Georgio opened his place in Hangdong, I thought the service in town was quite good and was happy to leave a big tip. Since the opening of the second branch, the service quality took a significant drop in my opinion (since it has improved a bit but not yet up to the old standard). Perhaps this resulted in tips going down, mine did, and so he went for the 10%. When I get hit with the 10% like at Fuji, that is all they get because they have taken away my option.

If you were a member of staff im sure the wind in your sails would be depleted with the announcement of no tips forthcoming, ,.isnt greed awful ,. Edited by mikethevigoman

I ran a Thai restaurant in Oz for 5 years, so not completely ignorant of this business or Thai staff for that matter.

Service Charge? Surely what one pays at a sit down restaurant includes staff bringing the food to the table? Otherwise why not eat at home? This is a con, pure and simple, I would avoid any greedy place that tries that one on.

We had staff that earned good tips, and customers came back because of their great service. Mediocre staff earned usually nothing, and consequently didn't instigate customer return. Better they learn the economies of service.

If people want to pay the management a 10% bonus on already pricey food (for Thailand) then go ahead, they love customers like you. If you feel enough is enough then vote with your feet. Good service always earns the tip, a service charge is a charge for admitted mediocrity that otherwise would not be forthcoming.

I ran a Thai restaurant in Oz for 5 years, so not completely ignorant of this business or Thai staff for that matter.

Service Charge? Surely what one pays at a sit down restaurant includes staff bringing the food to the table? Otherwise why not eat at home? This is a con, pure and simple, I would avoid any greedy place that tries that one on.

We had staff that earned good tips, and customers came back because of their great service. Mediocre staff earned usually nothing, and consequently didn't instigate customer return. Better they learn the economies of service.

If people want to pay the management a 10% bonus on already pricey food (for Thailand) then go ahead, they love customers like you. If you feel enough is enough then vote with your feet. Good service always earns the tip, a service charge is a charge for admitted mediocrity that otherwise would not be forthcoming.

:o

I stopped eating in Giorgio's over a year ago sloppy service. On principle I never pay service charge. It's the same as + tax most other companies survive on one price does the restaurateur pay service charge for a hair cut or petrol it's a scam, truth be told the food isn't worth the price let alone the service. Like the previous post said vote with your feet.

I hear that the same problems exist at the new Dukes and the staff are/were non too happy.

The new Duke's is tourist trap in the middle of the Night Bazaar with an insane monthly rent to pay.

I only eat at the old one with the old prices and no service charge! :o

Man, I wish I would have read this thread before going out to dinner tonight. I happened to stop at the Duke's at the Night Bazaar and noticed on the menu about the 10% service charge. It did say that the service charge goes directly to the staff, but still didn't make me too happy.

No worries. For a bill of 290 baht, the "tip" was then 29 baht. I probably would have left at least that much, probably 40 baht, as a tip. But since I was "compelled" to pay the service charge, I didn't leave a tip.

I'd prefer the choice to tip what I feel is appropriate, based on the quality of service--but if forced, then it will definitely be 10%.