Rate Jomtien Condos

klikster

I'm hoping to get some overall quality / living experience ratings on some condos in Jomtien surrounds.

Looking to rent then buy.

My shortlist:

Ban Suan Lalana

Jomtien Beach Condo

Majestic Condo

Panya Resort

Sombat Condo

I have read all sorts of horror stories about some of the View Talay Projects .. and trying to sort them out is an exercise in frustration. I see Project X Bldg Y, etc.

Can someone put a good / bad /ugly rating on these.

Any others that should be on my list?

I figure I'm looking at somewhere around 1.5 m .. ownership will be Thai name.

I'm not much of a beach person, need DSL and cable, need parking, security .. a view is nice but trees are okay too.:o

I lived in Pattaya about 3 years ago, but that was on Soi Buakhao and I didn't like that very much.

Appreciate any help.

Majestic is a dump as is Sombat. I am not aware of Panya Resort.

Jomtien Beach Condo is still under 49% in foreign ownership, which means the Thai’s are still able to get top prices for their condos so you won’t find your best deal here. Since you are buying in a Thai name you can get much more for your money in a building that is over 49% in foreign ownership buying from a Thai, since they can’t sell to foreigners anymore and very few Thai’s buy condos. You can also buy from foreigners that purchased in company names before the changed enforcement of the law since none of these are selling either and put the condo in a Thai name.

Ban Suan Lalana is only fours stories tall, so no view here. I like the complex a lot, but I have issues with it. Since it is so spread out I don’t think it is possible to have very good security there and it is about a half mile from beach road. Since you have your own transportation and that is not an issue you should check it out. I would not live there due to the security issues.

I think the best value for your money if you want to live in Jomtien, in a nice building, a good location with good security would be View Talay 2. I would look for foreigners who bought in a company name attempting to sell their condo; they don’t have anybody to sell them to and are desperate. A nicely renovated 37 SM with a good view in a foreign name in these buildings is selling for 1.7 to 2.2 now, depending on the building, floor, side of the building and quality of the renovation. You should be able to pick up one in a company name for 1.3 to 1.4.

If you are looking for a larger condo in the 1.5 price range you are really going to have leave the Jomtien Beach area and look on the other side of the highway or at some of the run down buildings in the middle of the city.

Hope this helps.

Have you thought about Jomthien Condotel? You should be able to get a renovated studio for 1.5 or under. Has a Management Company and, I think, decent Co-owners Committees. At least they are not secretive about what they do with co-owners' money - everything is posted on the notice board every month! Recently put in new elevators. Buildings were repainted last year. Security is good because they have glassed in the elevator and stair areas and can only be accessed by key card and cards have fairly recently been 'redone' so you can be sure that not too many are floating around Pattaya held by ex-boyfriends. And just 200 and a little bit meters from Dongtan beach.

I have been renting for 3 years at the Jomtien Condotel. Plus - - - great pool and good tennis courts. Direct beach access and good security. I have never bought cuz rent is so cheap. The only real downside is the constant renovations that occur - over 300 units in each bldg. The reno is really a pain after a while as the building is extremely poorly insulated. That being said - if I had not found Jomtien Condotel I would have left Pattaya - Jomtien a long time ago....

I have been renting for 3 years at the Jomtien Condotel. Plus - - - great pool and good tennis courts. Direct beach access and good security. I have never bought cuz rent is so cheap. The only real downside is the constant renovations that occur - over 300 units in each bldg. The reno is really a pain after a while as the building is extremely poorly insulated. That being said - if I had not found Jomtien Condotel I would have left Pattaya - Jomtien a long time ago....

Do you think it would be possible to insulate a unit while doing a reno?

name='billaaa777' date='2007-09-28 21:20:59' post='1563702']

Hey Billaaa777, Thought some time back you liked the place as you were trying to sell some units there. Property developers you guys are so fickle.

True or not?

Have a nice day.

:o

Edited by ICECHUNKS

name='billaaa777' date='2007-09-28 21:20:59' post='1563702']

Hey Billaaa777, Thought some time back you liked the place as you were trying to sell some units there. Property developers you guys are so fickle.

True or not?

Have a nice day.

:D

:o

Ban Suan Lalana condo buildings are five stories tall. Each building is built in a rectangle shape and they are open in the center. The open centers have trees and other decorative plants. I like that because I don't have to worry about fires or getting out in a hurry. The stairways are quite wide and I only use the elevators when I have things to carry up or down. Security is great. The entire complex is walled in. They regularly patrol and there is very little traffic because it IS a gated community. Trying to carry anything out through the gate requires a pass from security. In fact when I want to move anything, I call security and they carry it out for me. The maintenance fund has a huge surplus and the monthly fee is ten baht per square meter. The grounds are very well kept and the huge swimming pools are spotless. I have a corner unit that is sixty square meters, on the third floor overlooking gardens and the swimming pool. All units have decent size balconies. Corner units have two balconies, the biggest off the bedroom and a smaller one off the living room.

I looked at MANY condos in the Jomtien Pattaya area and nothing else compared. I don't know what the ownership percentage is now but when I bought about four years ago it was only nineteen percent foreign. Regular studio units are forty square meters. Anything smaller than that was too small for my liking. I looked at some 28 square meter units and no way could I stand one small room.

Majestic is a dump as is Sombat.

hello billaaa777, thanks for that heads up

I think the best value for your money if you want to live in Jomtien, in a nice building, a good location with good security would be View Talay 2. I would look for foreigners who bought in a company name attempting to sell their condo; they don’t have anybody to sell them to and are desperate. A nicely renovated 37 SM with a good view in a foreign name in these buildings is selling for 1.7 to 2.2 now, depending on the building, floor, side of the building and quality of the renovation. You should be able to pick up one in a company name for 1.3 to 1.4.

What spooks me about View Talay 2 is a thread I read about the management and strong handed security at VT2

Again, thanks for the comments re Thai/foreign.

Have you thought about Jomthien Condotel? You should be able to get a renovated studio for 1.5 or under. Has a Management Company and, I think, decent Co-owners Committees. At least they are not secretive about what they do with co-owners' money - everything is posted on the notice board every month! Recently put in new elevators. Buildings were repainted last year. Security is good because they have glassed in the elevator and stair areas and can only be accessed by key card and cards have fairly recently been 'redone' so you can be sure that not too many are floating around Pattaya held by ex-boyfriends. And just 200 and a little bit meters from Dongtan beach.

Thanks Tammi, I'll have a look at it. I was hoping to get something a bit larger than the standard 32-36 m unit. BTW .. you didn't answer my PM yet.

Hello, Trollster. That sounds like a good place to locate wile searching. I'm not in a great rush.

Is it difficult to get a DSL line there?

About the renos .. even though the chatter of a hammerdrill goes right through my skull, I tend to prefer that over the *thump* *thump* of 'music'. :o

True or not?

Have a nice day.

Wow, what a memory you have, that was over a year ago, you must have my name written on your wall.

I buy where I can make money, great buildings, good buildings, average buildings and dumps. I picked up two units next to the pool for 880, which was about 320 below market value at the time. When I was there measuring for renovations some guy walked in and offered to buy them, I was so glad I did not have to go there every day for two months to renovate them. I sold them in 17 days at a little below what I perceived as market value at the time.

There has been quite a bit of renovation in the building over the past few years which has helped the building. They recently painted the outside of the building. I think the pool area has great potential, sitting in the middle of the building with all the balconies looking down on it. The pool area is just dirty though, nothing some bleach and pressure washer could not fix quickly. In fact if they pressured washed the outside area of the entire complex it would help a lot.

But, the hallways are still terrible and need to be re-tiled and painted, which is expensive and the building does not have the funds to do it. It is a dump; sorry if you live there, maybe it will get better in the future. If I lived there I would buy a pressure cleaner and donate to the building and teach the maintenance department how to use it, to be honest with you.

Ban Suan Lalana condo buildings are five stories tall. Each building is built in a rectangle shape and they are open in the center. The open centers have trees and other decorative plants. I like that because I don't have to worry about fires or getting out in a hurry. The stairways are quite wide and I only use the elevators when I have things to carry up or down. Security is great. The entire complex is walled in. They regularly patrol and there is very little traffic because it IS a gated community. Trying to carry anything out through the gate requires a pass from security. In fact when I want to move anything, I call security and they carry it out for me. The maintenance fund has a huge surplus and the monthly fee is ten baht per square meter. The grounds are very well kept and the huge swimming pools are spotless. I have a corner unit that is sixty square meters, on the third floor overlooking gardens and the swimming pool. All units have decent size balconies. Corner units have two balconies, the biggest off the bedroom and a smaller one off the living room.

Hello, GaryA.

I was drawn to this project as an early choice because of interior photos. They do look very nice, indeed. :o

I looked at MANY condos in the Jomtien Pattaya area and nothing else compared. I don't know what the ownership percentage is now but when I bought about four years ago it was only nineteen percent foreign. Regular studio units are forty square meters. Anything smaller than that was too small for my liking. I looked at some 28 square meter units and no way could I stand one small room.

I don't want to continue living in a 32-36 m box as I am now and did in the Diana Condos. But I'm not sure I can afford a unit like yours. When I surfed around, that model seemed pretty pricey for my frugal nature.

My previous house had a nice 80% 30 year Govt Saving's Bank mortgage with very low payments. I wonder if condos qualify the same as a a house?

True or not?

Have a nice day.

Wow, what a memory you have, that was over a year ago, you must have my name written on your wall.

I buy where I can make money, great buildings, good buildings, average buildings and dumps. I picked up two units next to the pool for 880, which was about 320 below market value at the time. When I was there measuring for renovations some guy walked in and offered to buy them, I was so glad I did not have to go there every day for two months to renovate them. I sold them in 17 days at a little below what I perceived as market value at the time.

There has been quite a bit of renovation in the building over the past few years which has helped the building. They recently painted the outside of the building. I think the pool area has great potential, sitting in the middle of the building with all the balconies looking down on it. The pool area is just dirty though, nothing some bleach and pressure washer could not fix quickly. In fact if they pressured washed the outside area of the entire complex it would help a lot.

But, the hallways are still terrible and need to be re-tiled and painted, which is expensive and the building does not have the funds to do it. It is a dump; sorry if you live there, maybe it will get better in the future. If I lived there I would buy a pressure cleaner and donate to the building and teach the maintenance department how to use it, to be honest with you.

So you told the new owner this before he bought it from you?

and yes i do keep your name on the wall with a few other not so true people.

Have a nice day.

No comments about the merits of the various View Talay projects? There seems to be 6 from what I can gather.

In the Search box at the bottom of ThaiVisa page enter 'View Talay' or 'VT' and you will find volumes of info on VTs. Also, VT 1 and or VT2 has its own website.

Best bet is to ask at the office. Some units have DSL - took me months to get mine but that was 3 years ago - maybe easier these days. Other option is the card that attaches to the laptop for GPRS - works well and may fit your needs. I know of some units with phone lines so DSL would be relatively easy to add. PM if you are really interested and I will get you a contact. I am in Canada these days or else would help you directly.

No comments about the merits of the various View Talay projects? There seems to be 6 from what I can gather.

Are we still allowed to make critical comments on this website? I wouldn't want my post removed because it offends some major corporation or interferes with the business interests of Thaivisa.com.

Are we still allowed to make critical comments on this website? I wouldn't want my post removed because it offends some major corporation or interferes with the business interests of Thaivisa.com.

Just go for it. I made a comment about Indochine ripping me off on the buying a condo thread and it is still there.

Just go for it. I made a comment about Indochine ripping me off on the buying a condo thread and it is still there.

Good! I would hate it if the only thinga you could discuss on this forum were the best margaritha's in town and the price of danish salami. :o

VT2 gets knocked all over and I love it because it wards people off. I lived there and still have interests in the development. Go show me where they allocate so much land for a development these days ?

it is totally rubbish so please go look somewhere else.

Re VT2 I was referring to a thread that cast the manager and security staff as virtual hooligans where a legally blind resident and his gf were concerned.

And thanks especially for the 2nd part of your response. :o

Edited by klikster

In the Search box at the bottom of ThaiVisa page enter 'View Talay' or 'VT' and you will find volumes of info on VTs. Also, VT 1 and or VT2 has its own website.

Hello Tammi,

Yes, I know .. thanks. It was after using said feature that I had more questions.