Chonburi Buffalo Races

lawling

There usually is a huge sign where Phanat Nikhom road crosses under the motorway along with miniature buffalos with riders on them. I remember my Thai friend pointing in that direction when I asked where the event is.

I'll try and find out exactly where. Might be something worth seeing, although I remember seeing on tv a few fatal accidents involving spectators.

Edited by Tony Clifton

There usually is a huge sign where Phanat Nikhom road crosses under the motorway along with miniature buffalos with riders on them. I remember my Thai friend pointing in that direction when I asked where the event is.

I'll try and find out exactly where. Might be something worth seeing, although I remember seeing on tv a few fatal accidents involving spectators.

Thanks Tony.

That bit about the fatal accidents was what was at the back of my mind when I asked about recommendations!

I'd have thought most of them were too old to race. They seem to spend most of their time propping up the local bar not getting fit to race

If you are referring to the Royal Antediluvian Order thereof, I'm not sure that there are too many brethren around Chonburi!

It's been blocked . :o

Bad for the tourist industry?

ขออภัย บริษัท ทีโอที จำกัด (มหาชน)

ในฐานะขององค์กรของคนไทย

ได้ระงับการเชื่อมต่อมาที่เว็บไซต์นี้ื่

เนื่องจากมีเนื้อหา ข้อความ รูปภาพ ที่ไม่เหมาะสม

ที่ได้ส่งผลกระทบต่อจิตใจของคนไทยทั้งประเทศจนไม่อาจยอมรับได้

Got it ok here... but then, I'm at least 30km from Tony.... :o

Most Ridiculous Statement in the Video Comments section:

Those stupid Spaniards deserve to be killed.... (or words to that effect)

apparently some developmentally-handicapped individual confusing it with the running of the bulls.

Edited by sriracha john

Spoke to Chonburi Tourist office today and apparently races will be held 24th October? not 6th? she said she will let Bangkok office know.

Coincidentally, Kaz, I phoned today and got exactly the same info.

But the girl I spoke to didn't impress me with her knowledge. She kept passing on my questions to somebody else and when I asked her where exactly the event would be held she said "Ampauh Chonburi". Does anyone know if that means something other than the general area of Chonburi ?

I would have thought that the 6th - a Saturday, would have been a more likely day than 24th - a Wednesday - but what would I know?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Way fun!

I'd never seen a Water Buffalo up close before- They're really quite magnificent creatures.

1014KwaiDec4Sm.jpg

Every year the Thai people hold festivals in various parts of the country to honor these animals. I took these pictures on October 14th in Ban Bueng village.

1014KwaiDec2Sm.jpg

Wow!

1014KwaiCart2Sm.jpg

Pulling a huge ceremonial cart through the town of Ban Bueng.

1014Kwai6Zm.jpg

Water Buffalo are still an important part of Thai agriculture. These beasts certainly look fit!

1014Kwai4Zm.jpg

With soaring diesel prices many farmers are parking their tractors and returning to traditional farming methods with buffalo drawn plows.

The festival culminates with the Water Buffalo races-

1014KwaiRaceZm.jpg

Some video-

Fun times! (Anyone know what's up with the naked painted kids?!)

1014PaintedBoysZm1.jpg

Warm regards from the Land of Smile,

Marc and Nong and Little Mir wai.gif

• 2 years later...

Chonburi Buffalo Race 2011

%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2.jpg

Chonburi Buffalo Race

Date: October 11, 2011

Venue: The lawn in front of Chonburi District Office

The races are taken very seriously by the owners of the buffaloes. Prizes for the first nose past the finishing line guarantee owners go to considerable lengths to ensure their buffaloes are in tip-top condition.

Clouds of dust rise as these hefty animals pound down the short course at an alarming speed, reminiscent of a stampede. The crowd roars in support of the favorites and the atmosphere is as an enthralling as watching thoroughbred race horses.

Admittedly, mites slower than a race horse, but the buffaloes are no slouches when it comes to making a short dash for glory.

Although this day of fun and competition would succeed with just the buffaloes as the celebrities, there are other activities to make it a worthwhile outing for families.

A fair with food stalls and handicrafts appeals to visitors who love authentic Thai food, snacks and sweets. Then there are the rides for children, concerts of folk music and, of course, a beauty contest where the prize is the honour of being declared Miss Buffalo.

Not exactly the most adhering of titles for an aspiring beauty queen, but it does not seem to deter contestants from seeking the limelight of the catwalk.

Here is a festival that provides photo opportunities to capture an unusual adaptation of the 100-metre dash. Well worth seeing, is always the conclusion of those who make the effort to travel to Chonburi.

Activities:

- Traditional wagon parade

- Cultural preservation parade from the government and private sectors

- Various buffalo contests such as beautiful types, funny types, etc.

- Sea mussel opening contest

- Beauty contests

- Folk games such as oiled pole climbing, rattan ball, Thai boxing, slingshot shooting, etc.

Edited by Atmos

There was some buffalo racing a couple of weeks ago next to Mab Prachuan Reservoir,must have been a practise for the main event.It looked extremely uncomfortable to ride,not very good for the "family jewels I would have thought

Cheers

Edited by Rimmer
Font size

TAT's website confirms date of October 24, 2007 for the Chonburi Buffalo Races...

http://www.tourismthailand.org/activitiesc...thly&id=243

1027buffalo.jpg

Thanks John. The girl this morning told me they start at 10 am. Thought that sounded a bit early but maybe that's when the side attractions get going.

Maybe there will be more info nearer the time.

Take note that this advert says Oct 24th 2007 NOT 2011

didn't think it warranted another thread, and thought my heading

Posted Yesterday, 15:26

Chonburi Buffalo Race 2011

Chonburi Buffalo Race

Date: October 11, 2011

would be clear enough, stating the date twice as it does.

We may head up - less than 3hrs from home, never seen an event like this.

And a chance to see Miss Buffalo 2011 - who could miss that?

Edited by Atmos