Savings In Thailand

Hi All,

i would like to move some savings into a Thai bank or something close to it while gaining interest.

Does anyone know my best options?

Interest rates on Thai bank accounts are very poor. Savings accounts are around 0.75% a year. On fixed deposites you might get around 2.5% for tying your money up for a whole year.

Interest rates on Thai bank accounts are very poor. Savings accounts are around 0.75% a year. On fixed deposites you might get around 2.5% for tying your money up for a whole year.

thought i have seen recent adverts for up to 3-4% for Thai bank CDs. don't know if available for foreiger accounts, however.

just opened a new savings account with Bank of Ahyudaha yesterday. Funny, the clerk first says to me that i get no interest because i'm foreigner...when i say i get interest on my Bangkok Bank savings account (which i do), she confers with the "phi" next to her and they converse for a few seconds and then she says that ,oh yeah, i can now get and the rate is like stated above, like 3/4 percent per year. now, it's likely that when the paperwork was processed by the back office, i would have been given interest at that's what happened with BB. they told me no interest initially but when i started to update my passbook at the machines, every quarter it seems, i would get a few baht in interest.

oh, also just need some form of proof of long-term residency (e.g. retirement visa, rental contract, immigration letter) to open a savings or checking account at this branch of BOA. No work permit needed.