Teacher Bashing

As a teacher of English in Thailand you give children the opportunity to improve their lot in life and what greater satisfaction than that is there in life?

A passionate night in with the Mrs. :D

.... consider locating in Isaan to teach. The money will be less and the facilities far below the standards found in Bangkok or other large urban areas. The slow and, as some (the Isaan bashers on TV) will point out, boring, unexciting environment may not be to your liking. However, in Isaan you will have a greater impact in "giving children the opportunity to improve their lot in life".

If you have any interest, send me a PM.

For what it's worth, I've met some teachers who are real jerks and fit the stereotypes. I also have met some really nice people, who are dedicated. Some of the best ones become disillusioned, but some stick with it.

I have a TEFL qualification and studied a few languages. I also considered teaching in Thailand for a while. At this stage in life, though, I decided against teaching English. Though I think I could really enjoy it for a while at least, one factor in choosing not to pursue it was the stigmas and stereotypes it's held for, another was the salary. I hate to think of myself as money driven, but it is low for a foreigner, particularly with family responsibilities. As a single guy or maybe a couple - OK. Also as someone with a young daughter who's "half-half" I think there'll be enough stereotyping for her to deal with in Thailand, without adding dad as an English teacher. :o Plus if I want to give her a good education here, that costs money.

It might be something I might return to in the future though. Once retired/semi-retired and with less financial responsibilities.

If I was going to teach, I wouldn't choose BKK. I'd go for somewhere like Hua Hin, Bang Saen, Chiang Mai, or Isaan as mentioned above. First two as nice sleepy towns near the beach. Third = cultural, but 2nd city. Fourth = cultural, with a lot of the great Thai traditions still present that are dying out elsewhere. Also I'd agree with roietjimmy: Isaan is perhaps one areas of the country you could feel you could make a difference.

Good luck to you. Hope it works out. Maybe you can help change the stereotypes for when it's my turn. :D Think carefully about where you choose. That seems like a key part for you to consider. You've addressed the stigmas, the motivation, and money. Now it's a case of where you live your dream. :D

Edited by fletchthai68

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the first & foremost important thing about being a teacher is the ability to have a relationship with the students.

I'm sure that most of us farangs have grown up in schools where there has been at least 1 teacher who was a 'robot'. That teacher might have known his/her 'stuff' but did little to engage in each student. This amounts to a non-reactive situation. The teacher may as well have sent a teaching video & video player to the classroom.

I earn about 5k more per month than most Thai teachers at my school (college). Actually, there are some Thai teachers who earn more than me but I'm not complaining.

I work as a teacher because I must. I have been an "unqualified" teacher for quite a while but not teaching English. I was in the Scouting Association for many years as a rockclimbing/abseilling/caving instructor & this job required real "people" skills. It just so happens that I enjoy being with (most types of) people. The result is that a strong connection is made between "teacher" & "student", which can only happen if one considers themselves to be equal to the other. Once this connection has been established, the information generally flows thick & fast.

It's not easy teaching 750 Thai students each week. It takes a lot to really get to know your students. A lot of personal energy goes into this "student/teacher" relationship.

To all the English teacher bashers - go & teach for a month then come back & tell me how "easy" it was.

Edited by elkangorito

I think one way to improve the image of Farang teachers is to ensure that they all are at least graduates with real academic degrees.

What a great Quote.

Most of the teachers I have met bought their degress on the Kao San Road or via the internet,if they do have a degree than they get wasted most nights on either drugs or drink.

If you wanted to teach in you home country,take the UK ,you would need a Degree and a 1 year teaching qualification to boot.

I wish you all the best and I hope that your skills and experience bring something positive to whichever school you may choose to work in.

Here is the first Greek Troll

When you use the word "most" make sure that you are certain about it. I will assume that you read Stickman and all the other sensationalist stories that portray ESL teacehers as such.

You obviously keep company with the sort of people that "most"of us ESL teachers try to avoid. When you find them please tell me where they hide out as i haven't come across many and I don't intend to.

I will add at this juncture,I do not keep company with these idiots exactlly for the reasons listed. As I stated, "MOST" of the teachers I have met,but certainly not all,I have actually met two,who were not in the catagory mentioned.It is however a shame that they are the minority in around 20 where I reside.

I fail to see why I need to be referred to as a Greek Troll, unless I have hit a raw nerve with you? from a teacher I would expect you to be more constructive, in your conversational thread.

Lets try to keep it constructive,I am intitled to my opinion/output...!!!!

Ps, I make no excuse for my spelling of Grammer...!!! I am not a teacher..!!

Irony... :o

Edited by mrtoad