True Adsl

dp4868

Just had a long argument with True about how slow their ADSL is. At the end they agreed that they cannot possibly provide anywhere near the advertised speed because of lack of bandwidth.

Is there any body in Thailand that can stop companies advertising things thay know they cannot provide ??

Just had a long argument with True about how slow their ADSL is. At the end they agreed that they cannot possibly provide anywhere near the advertised speed because of lack of bandwidth.

Is there any body in Thailand that can stop companies advertising things thay know they cannot provide ??

I am in Japan, my connection is 100Mbps.

But if i check the speed it varies greatly, no way am i gonna get 100Mbps. When testing i have been as low as 400Kbps and as High as 3200Kbps, depends how many others are using bandwidth at the same time as me, and distance from the scource i think.

I do not think Thai companies are trying to rip you off, its something all internet providers advertise, what else can they do?

back in the state false advertising is a felony, here in Thailand no such hope gotta live with it man!

All internet connection speeds will vary due to things like "line noise", number of subscribers on a "node" (cable-splitter), distance from switcher, etc., etc.

To get the "best speed" for your particular dsl connection, you also need to tune-up (tweak) your system.

More info here

Suggest, if you haven't already done so, you run a dsl connection speed test, in order to arrive at some kind of reference point, then talk to a few computer shop service personnel and if possible, one of the local telephone companys installers. (Small donation to installers "old-age" fund might help. :o)

good luck

Cheers

This is extremely irritating; companies here seem to be able to advertise whatever they want - nobody seems to be able to hold them responsible afterwards.

Nobody likes to be lied to, especially not by people you do business with. Sorry, but it really urinates me off. Let us spank them many many times with a porcupine.

This is extremely irritating; companies here seem to be able to advertise whatever they want - nobody seems to be able to hold them responsible afterwards.

Nobody likes to be lied to, especially not by people you do business with. Sorry, but it really urinates me off. Let us spank them many many times with a porcupine.

well what do you expect ? if you live in a lunatic asylum you have to contend with crazy things !

Thailand is one big loony bin :D:D:D:D:o:wub:

For consumer broadband speeds, it's unrealistic to expect that you'll get 100% of the speed 100% of the time. This is true for EVERY country, not only Thailand. This is why consumer broadband contracts always have clauses that say something like "the speed you will get is *best effort* and may not be the full speed" (yes, True's contract has it too, go and read the fine print). The only reason you can get this price for consumer broadband (in any country) is that BANDWIDTH IS SHARED. If you demand or require steady speeds and quality of service, you pay 10-50 times the consumer price to get a dedicated leased line, the same type that companies use.

Of course, if you get only 10% of the speed 100% of the time, then it's time to complain.

For Thailand, all ADSL speeds are locked and based on what you pay, so line noise and distance from the CO have nothing to do with the speeds you will get. For the US, you usually pay a fixed fee for whatever speed you can get, depending on line condition and distance to the CO, between 512k and 8mbits.

Well my True ADSL speed has been slowly but surely deteriorating over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I get the feeling they keep tabs on your usage and throttle you accordingly, but that's just a gut feeling. So at what point is it time to complain? 20/30/40/50% of rated bandwidth? I'm never getting over 50% for web usage, and response times have been real shitty. Other times even simple pages will just take ages. Still, on balance it's better than dialup.

It's the same everywhere...

ISPs advertise the speed of the line connecting you to the exchange.

However, there are bottlenecks from there on... - at the exchange your data, and lots of othe people's data shares a single connection to the ISP. At the ISP, all the computers share a single connection to the national network interlink exchange, and then that shares the international bandwidth. All the way to the machine you're connecting to, which if there are lots of other people accessing the same server, lots of you are sharing it's internet bandwidth...

At every point, when things are busy, your connection speed will stay the same, but the bottlenecks further down the line result in you getting a slower speed.

The biggest problem in Thailand is simply that there is insufficient international bandwidth to go around (for which fibre is being laid, so things will get better).

The second problem is that Thailand doesn't have enough IP addresses. This is why your IP address changes so often... (This one can be blamed on the US government though - which allocated IP address ranges in it's usual internationally sensitive manner - so that, for instance, Stanford University has more IP addresses allocated to it than the whole of China.)

But, I repeat, this is the same everywhere. Thailand is possibly a little more bandwidth throttled than a lot of "wealthier" countries, but it will change... If someone had told me a year ago that I could get 512/256 ADSL in Bangkok for £10/month - I'd have thought they were joking...

• 4 weeks later...

Judging by the number of complaints here, I think a class-action lawsuit is in order. Southwestern Bell was sued for allegedly reducing the customers' rates of speed in the U.S. about four years ago. Here's what the complaint was: Customers claim to have tested their connections only to find that the speeds at which they were capable of downloading data allegedly did not meet the rates for which they are paying. The lawsuit alleges fraud, misrepresentation, theft and other issues. Sound familiar?

I've upgraded my package to the trueadsl login, and this was working as advertised - and guaranteed - for a couple of weeks, but now it's as slow as the truehisp login. Seems like throttling to me. They really need a wake-up call. Know any good lawyers?

Know any good lawyers?

Class-action lawsuit

Laugh of the day? :D

This is not 'Land of Lawyers' yet. USA has that distinction.

I accept that my 512 speed is between me and ISP. And when WWW gets down to dialup speed I do start talking to myself. But I sure don't expect a bunch of lawyers to help much. Affordable international bandwidth is needed. If you can pay the price you can get the circuit. I prefer to pay a lower price.

There are good lawyers; I know. :o

The biggest problem in Thailand is simply that there is insufficient international bandwidth to go around (for which fibre is being laid, so things will get better).

Interesting info about the fibre being laid - so you have any estimates on when it will be up and running - or any links to more info (pages in Thai are fine)?

It just comes down to cost! International bandwith is expensive in Thailand because of it being monopolized by the CAT.

I have broadband through IPTV(CSLoxinfo sattelite), I pay for 256kbps, which I get 95% of the times (yes, I'm talking international bandwith). The only catch is that I pay per Mb downloaded. My ISP is covered 100% so they can guarantee my speed, if I download a lot, my bill increases respectively, so they are sure to be able to pay for the expensive bandwith I just consumed.

I applied for adsl, but will keep my iptv as a backup when things get to slow...