Dog Toilet/loo/potty

My small dog is trained on paper and at 6 months + is now able to hold her pee for longer. She goes outdoors 3 or 4 times each day and may pee and poop while out.

But I need to get her trained to go out on the balcony and know that there are Dog Potties (portable and non-portable) available in USA, Australia, etc.

Does anyone know if and where available in Thailand?

Any other suggestion will be gratefully received!

None in Thailand that I know of. A lot of people use cat litter boxes, either with litter or with newspaper inside.

BTW there are sprays you can buy that are supposed to help. One, which is basically just citronella, is applied to everywhere you don't want the dog to pee/poo (might be helpful when you transition from current paper spot to balcony) and I've found it highly effective. The other, which I don't know the ingrediant of, you are supposed to lightly sprinkle in the desired potty place and supposedly will encourage the dog to use it (I found it at a pet supply store in Chatuchak). This second one didn't work on the dog I tried it with but who knows, might work for yours.

In my case it was my niece's Pomeranian, she also lives in a condo, what happened was once we sprayed the citronella around the room he just stopped going inside, period (ignoring the place set aside for that purpose) and began to wait to be walked. Although he sometimes has to wait a full 8-9 hours (while she's in class) there are rarely any accidents. So you just might find that 3 times a day walking is sufficient..if the dog is old enough. Nothing worked on our Pom until he was about 4-5 months old.

Although he sometimes has to wait a full 8-9 hours (while she's in class) there are rarely any accidents. So you just might find that 3 times a day walking is sufficient..if the dog is old enough. Nothing worked on our Pom until he was about 4-5 months old.

It is very much possible that nothing worked until the age of 4 - 5 months, because the dog plainly couldn't hold up for a full 8 to 9 hours! This is quite normal in pups. In fact, it is abnormal to expect a pup (or adult dog), or child (or adult), to hold up for this long period of time during the day. It can even be damaging to the kidneys.

Nienke

It is very much possible that nothing worked until the age of 4 - 5 months, because the dog plainly couldn't hold up for a full 8 to 9 hours! This is quite normal in pups. In fact, it is abnormal to expect a pup (or adult dog), or child (or adult), to hold up for this long period of time during the day. It can even be damaging to the kidneys.

Nienke

Nienke,

Actually prior to the age of 4-5 months he couldn't hold it for even 1-2 hours. We weren't trying to get him to be housebroken at all and provided newspaper but that also didn't work. He showed no signs when he was going to pee and really didn't seem aware when he was doing so, which is what I think was the problem.

Even now he is welcome to pee/poo indoors and has a place and paper set aside for that purpose but he very rarely uses it, it is in a different room from where we've sprayed so it's not for that reason. He just seems to prefer to wait until he goes outside. And he doesn't act like he's in too much discomfort when he's taken out after 8-9 hours, i.e. he doesn't rush to pee or pee a lot at first. I too thought such a small sized dog would need to pee much more often but that just doesn';t seem to be the case with this particular one.

My (full grown) chihuahua's normal bladder time is 8 hours and he's usually OK for up to 10 at which point he shows obvious discomfort, asks to go out etc. In fact if I walk him at an interval of less than 8 hours he will usually not do anything. This isn't something he's been forced to develop as he is usually kept outside where he can go at will, the walking is only when we go on long car rides or stay at my niece's place.

So maybe dogs vary?