Electronics/ham Radio Supply Shop

cloudhopper

Hi can anyone tell me where to find an electronics supply shop that has components and possibly kits along wih test instruments etc? Also looking for a shop that sells VHF ham radios, coax cable/connectors etc. Hopefully one shop that has it all!

Thanks

Hi can anyone tell me where to find an electronics supply shop that has components and possibly kits along wih test instruments etc? Also looking for a shop that sells VHF ham radios, coax cable/connectors etc. Hopefully one shop that has it all!

Thanks

The Amorn shop in the basement of the IT Center on South Pattaya Road has lots of the things you mention.

Hi,

I bought my HAM Handheld Transceiver in Naklua. There is one shop about 100 - 200 m from the main Naklua Crossing in Pattaya direction on the left side (small wooden building, think opens at 5 pm). The guy also repairs radios, so he has electronic components supply, but not sure whether he is selling.

Yes, the shop for most things ham related is the one moo9 mentions. Also good for antenna cable, microphones etc.

For electronic spare parts, there is a shop on Theprasit road, about 600 meters past the KR go-cart track on the same side when driving towards Sukhumvit. Recognizable by some kit speakers outside along with rolls of cable.

This is where all the students from the technical school close by buy all their kit for their electronics projects.

Is there any strict laws against broadcasting in Thailand.

Or can you just go get a license.

Anyone know?

It is not easy. I have one. On this webpage you can find more information:

http://www.qsl.net/rast/text/LicensingSept05.html

If you cannot obtain an license, don't use HAM equipment...might face serious consequences.

As an alternative you can buy the red handheld CB Mobiles working on 245 MHz. That is free to everybody and performance is not that bad.

Further radios can be found here:

http://www.walkie-talkie.net

Not a big store in BKK, competitive prices.

If you need more info, PM me.

Regards

Moo9

Too bad HF & WARC is restricted. I was so much looking forward to using 80m & 40m again :o

40 m u can use. BTW the Ham store in Naklua is located exactly between Soi 9 and Soi 11 on Naklua Road.

Thanks for all the info. BTW just attended my first RAST ham club meeting in BKK and apparently there's either some hoops they'll help you jump thru if you have a ham license from a select list of countries having a reciprocal agreement, or else it's just about hopeless for the duration of the existing political situation...band plan and op priveleges etc. all well explained on the RAST web page. One curious note - it's presently impossible to obtain a private station license in any province not having a club station! That and an even more bizarre reg that actually makes it illegal for licensed Thai hams to design, build and experiment with their own gear are currently under review...

Thanks for all the info. BTW just attended my first RAST ham club meeting in BKK and apparently there's either some hoops they'll help you jump thru if you have a ham license from a select list of countries having a reciprocal agreement, or else it's just about hopeless for the duration of the existing political situation...band plan and op priveleges etc. all well explained on the RAST web page. One curious note - it's presently impossible to obtain a private station license in any province not having a club station! That and an even more bizarre reg that actually makes it illegal for licensed Thai hams to design, build and experiment with their own gear are currently under review...

TIT, this is Thailand.

Common sense and logic thoughts, sometimes UNSEEN in Thailand.

I never made it to the RAST meeting, because of lack of time.

Still looking for some farang HAMs in Pattaya area to have a chat, because my Thai is still very limited.

Cheers

Moo9

TIT, this is Thailand.

Still looking for some farang HAMs in Pattaya area to have a chat, because my Thai is still very limited.

Cheers

Moo9

Just wonder how many "Farang HAMs" there are in Pattaya?

Good idea for the chat, may be once a month, if it is successful why not start a "Pattaya Farang Amateur Radio Club", enough members then it may be possible to secure some club premises, help members get up and running, get a club license and a bit gear, etc, Just like many thousands like minded HAMs have already done all around the world.

Sorry, I do not at present spend the time I would like in Thailand, but I will in Pattaya for the first 2 weeks of November and would be interested to meet other HAMs, may be some one could suggest somewhere reasonably accessible, without loud music or screaming girls we could meet?

BB

I'm about 10km south of Pattaya. I haven't used an amatuer radio for many years but would certainly like to "dabble" again. I've forgotten a lot of my radio theory (RAAF radio apprentice) but nonetheless, I love radio. Even to talk to some of the more experienced "veterans" of radio would give me a buzz:).

Hi,

yes it a good idea to have a meeting once a month in case we can get some people together. I am right in Pattaya, there are many places for a meeting, where one can sit, eat and drink in peace :-)

I have my reciprocal license for almost 2 years now, but my HF equipment is in my home country, as I have antenna restrictions here. I just bought a small 145MHz Handheld, but whenever I listen to the radio, there are only Thais, never heard any farang on the local Pattaya repeater (145.7125 MHz).

If somebody is interested in setting up some meeting PM me, I will try to assist as good as my time allows me.

73s

Moo9

I wonder how many foreign radio amateurs there are in Thailand? I'm based near Phuket Airport and am just sorting out a reciprocal HF licence. Maybe active in 2008 (with lots of luck!).

Simon

Hi,

I do not know the number...but somewhere I read that Thailand is the fastest growing HAM Radio community in the world, basically because they have a low entry VHF license class. Not too many on shortwave though. If you drive down the roads here, you are always astonished how many cars have VHF antennas and their callsign on the car.

Interesting information can always be found on http://www.qsl.net/rast/

Moo9

Yes, the shop for most things ham related is the one moo9 mentions. Also good for antenna cable, microphones etc.

For electronic spare parts, there is a shop on Theprasit road, about 600 meters past the KR go-cart track on the same side when driving towards Sukhumvit. Recognizable by some kit speakers outside along with rolls of cable.

This is where all the students from the technical school close by buy all their kit for their electronics projects.

Just buggered a 50kohm pot with switch on my powered woofer. Do you reckon the shop on Theprasit will have a replacement?

What side is it (and KR) on as I head for Sukhumvit (makes for easier finding)?

Just buggered a 50kohm pot with switch on my powered woofer

They'll have it!

Heading for Sukhumvit it's on the left hand side. Drive slowly, it's easy to pass... Telltale sign is a stand with several spindles of speaker/signal wire out the front.

• 1 year later...

I am working during the weekdays in Pattaya (on Buddha Hill), and return to my Phuket Airport base at the weekend. If anyone wants to hook up for a chat on 2m, I will take my handheld with me to Pattaya...

Simon (HS0ZIB/G6JFY)

• 2 months later...

TIT, this is Thailand.

Cheers

Moo9

The Pattaya Ham club meets on the second friday in every month and thats tonight!

Sukhumvit road Sio 43 a small bar on the left called Jimbo's about 20-30 mtrs in and it's all farangs

Hs0ZJF