Any Alternatives To Ubc?

cloudhopper

Does anyone out there have a legit satellite TV setup (C and/or Ku band) that can get a variety of TV feeds from the West? I'm happy to pay a subscription fee and not interested in pirate setups. I live outside any cable coverage. UBC is getting worse by the month...

Thanks!

It's been covered million times already.

Most likely you won't get as many channels as offered by UBC for the same price, and paying to non Thailand companies their subscription fees might be a pain in the ass. No customer service either.

Someone said African Multichoice is offered (illegally) for 58k a year. UBC is three times cheaper.

There are some programs, like Aussie rules football, that UBC doesn't cover at all. In that case satellites are the only option, but they are useless for CNN/ESPN/HBO kind of stuff.

My wife recently gave birth in Bangkok Phuket hospital, thank you, :o and while we were there, I noticed that the TV in room was much better than my ubc. We were getting ASTRO from Malaysia. CNN, BBC, HBO,Cinemax, American football, Star World movies and entertainment, etc; I asked the hospital about it and she directed me to Phuket Cable. Unfortunately, their website keeps saying under construction. Check out astro.com.my I would like to found out how a Malaysian company was providing service to a Phuket hospital. Anybody?????

Astro is better than UBC and you can receive it in Phuket..

It is however established that UBC have the only premium broadcast rights so it is not legal to use.. You can buy Astro yearly cards but they cost more than UBC IIRC.. If you can get someone to sign up for you in Malaysia I am lead to understand its a lot cheaper.

I'm not sure what the folks around here are doing but every second house in my village has a huge black satellite installed with 60+ channels - not sure how many in English though! They pay a one off installation of 4000baht and that's it, no monthly fee or anything. Will try and find out more cos I wouldn't mind getting some English telly.

Astro sells the same HBO/Cinemax/Star programs as UBC, they buy them from the same companies.

I suppose there are differences, like English Premier League coverage. You don't get ESPN's match previews and stuff (broadcast from their Singapore office), but UBC has more sports channels altogether. Astro has Disney Channel and Nickelodion, but UBS has "Spark" with popular Japanese cartoons.

From their price list it's not immediately clear whether the fee is per year or per month, the most expensive listed (lots of Chinese, movies and sports) is under 1500 baht.

I don't think it's per year.

Cable companies can pay (illegaly) for genuine Astro programs and resell them very cheaply.

Mind you, Malaysian advertisements are atrocious.