Bye Bye Thailand

Tootah

Hmmmm...........I'm sat here in my office in the Uk & it's around lunchtime - all the lights are on - and I'm looking out of the window. It's not raining now, although it has been and everywhere is still wet. It's not really cold but the dampness in the air makes it seem really chilly. It's grey, the low cloud covers the sky and the greyness seems to suck all the colours out of everything.

The big thing is............it's going to get much, much worse........over the next few months it's going to get darker, greyer, colder, wetter and more miserable.

In addition, petrols gone up to over £1.00/litre, beer prices are crazy, public transport=highway robbery, taxes through the roof, crime and the fear of crime are horrible and if you go to a restaurant you get mugged in the pocket for indifferent food served by surly staff.

Of course I generalise, simplify and possibly even exagerate a bit, but.............

I think you can maybe guess where I'd sooner be.

I hear you, and thanks, I can relate and understand exactly what you are saying as I have lived there in the UK for 20 years - my worst line is "the grass isnt always greener" You have to remember also that whilst the UK is shit, yes it is, for many reasons and Thailand was my dream also, and I worked hard to try and make it here, but after a while I realised I never could really find a good job, buy a house or land, I can speak thai but will always be a farang and never fully accepted, I cant open a bank account without a job etc etc the list goes on, too much to mention, but its ok I wont miss it until I go home. I will miss Thailand so much, but I know like others we have to make the right decision in the end, come here and live for a while and you will understand things better.

It all boils down to having an income sufficient to overcome the perceived problems you've cited. I assure you that financial independence would make them all go away, including the feeling of not being accepted because you're a foreigner.

Come back after a few years with a bit more cash in the bank and your experience may be much different.

Unless you've got a skill set that's in very high demand here or work for an MNC with full expat package it's a very difficult place to find lucrative employment. That's why most of us earn our money elsewhere.

Best of luck to you back in blighty, and maybe after some time passes you'll again feel the urge to experience the unique things Thailand has to offer.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..... I can speak thai but will always be a farang and never fully accepted, ...

I think that is one of the biggest downfalls for people here... trying to be accepted into Thai society. It's probably the equivalent of trying to swim up a waterfall. The people I know who are happiest here, accept they will never really be accepted and just live life as they see fit.

Real happiness is inside you - and better given than received.

Edited by fletchthai68

It's been five years since my wife and I chose to move out of Thailand and we recently made the choice not to move back to Thailand when an offer to do so came up.

We enjoy our life outside of Thailand perhaps in some measure because we get to live in lots of different places and hence we are not comparing Thailand with only one other option.

Career wise, children's education wise and personal development wise (for all of us, but especially for my wife and children) the move from Thailand was the right decision for us.

Something curios I think is how when we return for holidays, expats we know are living in just as much of a rut as the rut many tell us they escaped from back home.

And I also meet with friends, working in the office I worked in, who are hanging on to their job, keeping their head down, trying to blend in with the wall paper, scared of loosing their job.

Outside of Thailand, they can have the pick of many oportunities, at home and overseas.

Thailand is a great place to be, and I enjoyed our time there tremendously - but there is a price to pay and the price is paid on many levels.

Edited by GuestHouse

Taking a break is also good. It puts Thailand or any other country for that matter into pespective: you see that Thailand isn't as good as when you first arrived, nor as bad as the opposite end of the scale. There are plenty of other countries out there to enjoy. Enjoying themselves depends on you not the country.

Good luck with the return. Some of us are programmed to get restless, so maybe we'll see you again in a few years :o

..... I can speak thai but will always be a farang and never fully accepted, ...

I think that is one of the biggest downfalls for people here... trying to be accepted into Thai society. It's probably the equivalent of trying to swim up a waterfall. The people I know who are happiest here, accept they will never really be accepted and just live life as they see fit.

Real happiness is inside you - and better given than received.

Well said. I would suggest that it helps to feel comfortable in the role of outsider, even to relish it at times, to best cope with life as a long-term expat.

One thing I don't understand is why can't the OP open a bank account. I have a bank account in Bangkok Bank and a passport and cash was what I needed. :o

I was refused to open a bank account at SCB 3+ years ago (Soi 11) so I know what the OP is talking about. I did manage to get a savings acct open later across sukhumvit at Bangkok Bank. I would not at all be surprised if they stopped opening accts for farangs w/o working papers. Nice catch 22 for new long term visa applicants

... I worked hard to try and make it here, but after a while I realised I never could really find a good job, buy a house or land, I can speak thai but will always be a farang and never fully accepted, ...

BTW Take out the bit about being a farang, and many Thais would agree with you. The minor difference being they are accepted by their own small circles.

Good luck to you.

I am thinking Thailand for one more year maybe (totaling 2 years in all) before i consider my next destination. Maybe will head to another Asian country but prob will eventually head back to Argentina to my bro and his family. Cant see myself being back in Europe tho. My family are Italian and Irish, but I was born in Scotland, then lived in Europe, so heck i still duno where 'home' is :D . Its good that you have roots, i certainly wish i had some. USA and Caribbean dont seem to be my bag either (of what little time i lived in parts of them). Anyway..im enjoying Thailand for now, but i can understand your frustration. As others have said, you can reconsider later. Life is not set in stone :D

Dear me Eek, you must be a nightmare when your drunk. <--Well man i could hold my drink thats for sure! plus was super-friendly/tactile when drunk. But im a good girl now. Tee-totaler :D:bah:

Yeah she sounds complicated. <--ahh "complicated". The pc way of saying an ickle bit fkd up? :o

Mai pen rai! :D

I've been feeling a little like Tootah.

I'll give the ratbag Thai government 1 year to get their act together...if they don't, I'm out of here (much to the delight of some). The government is clearly anti-farang. I haven't experienced much xenophobia but the mindset of some people here is maddening.

I would not return to Ausmerica?Amstralia...that would be 10 times worse than any Siberian salt mine.

Yep, decision time! After a few years here I have realised that Thailand and the ever stricter 'rules' and never ending stream of &lt;deleted&gt; from Immigration isnt for me anymore, in fact I am beginning to resent people with the xenophobia so I'm getting out while I still have my sanity, as I dont see things here getting any easier for some of us. Anyone else thinking about making the move 'back home' or somewhere else? If you are thinking about it, post your thoughts here, good or bad, speak your mind and dont worry about the farang rak thai crowd here!

Bye bye Thailand, thanks for the memories good and bad! :D

Dont do it...............&lt;deleted&gt; dont do it !!!!!

You talk of "stricter rules and never ending stream of &lt;deleted&gt;"

Multiply that by a factor of 10 and you just summed up life in UK (especially England)

CCTV cameras on street corners, no "proper" policing, crackdowns on smoking, drinking and eating, etc, etc, etc

Thats just a few of the BETTER things so far in the past 10 years.

Microchips in rubbish bins, the allowing of even the lowest council "jobsworth" to have knowledge of when, where and to whom you phoned. The list goes on and on .............and on and on

I dont know your personal circs, but if you return here, you wont just walk into a ell paid, stress free job, and go top of any housing list.

Do you need to work to live?

If you dont need to, then why not explore the region?

PI, Malyasia, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam are all worth at least a look, if even for 3 months at a time. That should give you 15 months to reflect on where you really want to domicile

If you DO need to work, then the above countries (OK, with the exception of Malaysia) must surely be better to "panhandle" a living in?

My advice would be that, and not come here. You will HATE it, and its a long, expensive flight back out to the Far East :o

Penkoprod

Dont do it? I will. I don't really wish to fall foul of some safety net third world paradise, i'd rather go home, face the music and get my head down and work hard. I maybe have failed in Thailand but I am young, and sure not going to mess about in the rest of South East Asia, been there done that, the tshirt sucked and didnt fit. I'll go back with balls, knowing that Thai society, ignorance and its makeshift government and politics is a joke. When and if things improve maybe I will go back, if not, ###### em, good luck I wont miss it. &lt;deleted&gt; to em, they deserve all they get. :o on a lighter note, plan tomorrow, but live for today, you never know what visa bulllshit may be around the corner.....###### em

Edited by Tootah

If my trip there in 2001 was anything to go by the prices are the same as Thailand.

A bigger dictator than the military junta in Thailand put together rules the roost, gun control is out of control and farangs disappearing are considered the norm!

Where are these good-looking girls duchovny was rambling about, I must of only seen the ugly ones I guess.

Thai girls have always got the edge over Cambodian chicks IMO.

Siam Reap, Ankor Wat, Khmer Rouge Killing Fields and a few curios in Phnom Phen.

After about two days you've seen the best bits, whereas Thailand, which is a bit safer and like fine wine, just gets better each time :o

Tootah, I'm not sure of your actual intent, on the one hand it seems that you're letting the lesser faults of Thailand get to you. In which case then, have a safe flight, and enjoy merry England.

On the other hand I seem to get the impression that you've come out to Thailand on shoestring and now the time has come to return home because the moneys run out.

If thats the case I think you now know that you've got to make your fortune *Before* you try and do the expat thing in LOS

You may of seen some of the big boys out here, who've done it already.

However until you can retire on your investments I'd say you set yourself a high bird to fly with.

I can acknowledge most of the faults the LOS has, while I don't particularly like them, they most certainly don't have me running for the airport in loathing.

Maybe you just let things bother you too much.

Edited by JimsKnight

Dont do it? I will. I don't really wish to fall foul of some safety net third world paradise, i'd rather go home, face the music and get my head down and work hard. I maybe have failed in Thailand but I am young, and sure not going to mess about in the rest of South East Asia, been there done that, the tshirt sucked and didnt fit. I'll go back with balls, knowing that Thai society, ignorance and its makeshift government and politics is a joke. When and if things improve maybe I will go back, if not, ###### em, good luck I wont miss it. &lt;deleted&gt; to em, they deserve all they get. :D on a lighter note, plan tomorrow, but live for today, you never know what visa bulllshit may be around the corner.....###### em

I'll bet that more than 50% of TV users secretly feel the same as you.

Good on ya' for having the balls to go through with your decision. In a strange way, I agree with you but I still can't go back to something that I think is worse than being here (Amstralia is worse than here).

The Dominican Republic looks nice :o . Certainly it has less maddening cultural rules than here but it still has that nice slow "it'll get done when it gets done" pace.

Edited by elkangorito

I'm on the path to living in LOS so I always read posts like this with open mindedness and interest. For me I'm going to come equipped with enough savings to last a few years without working and a Singapore visa in case I can't find decent work in LOS, which I know is likely though my dream is to find a way to make a living in LOS. How passionate were you about Thailand? How badly did you want it to work? It seems all love is about accepting the flaws of your object of desire. The good things outshine them. I've loved people and things passionately before and changed my opinion as time wore on so it's possible I will come to Thailand with open arms and leave with closed fists. If you've changed your mind I think you are wise to acknowledge that, it's smarter to accept defeat than to keep trying to push the stone uphill.

The thing I love about Thailand most is it seems to leave me alone when I want to be left alone. I don't deny that there are anti farang laws and xenophobia but it seems like without too much effort one can circumnavigate those things. I've never been one to look for justice or what's fair. I think life is a game and you just have to play a better hand than the next guy, government or group. Something about being here in the United States I feel like I can't be myself. Though things like George Bush and Homeland security don't show up at my apartment after work I can feel their presence in American life. It's the zeitgeist of the times here. A time of anxiety and tightening the noose, imperialism and propaganda. Nowhere is perfect and Buddha knows there are some maddening illogical aspects to Thai society but I don't feel that noose around my neck when I'm there or the nationalistic arrogance I think the USA is exhibiting. I don't really feel the need to be counted as a local. I don't want to participate as so much I want to observe. If Thai people are more concerned with taking care of each other that's ok. As long as I carve out a niche that lets me eat and sleep in peace I'll be ok. If I can't do those things than obviously I'd have to go somewhere else where I can set up shop. However I've finally decided the easy money here in the USA is not enough to stop me from cutting the anchor for a few years.

Edited by wasabi

Unless you've got a skill set that's in very high demand here or work for an MNC with full expat package it's a very difficult place to find lucrative employment. That's why most of us earn our money elsewhere.

this is one reason I think twice whenever I've considered living in thailand. steady employment would be a must.

another is trying to keep a foot on the property ladder at home.

constant dilemma.

It's the zeitgeist of the times here.

Interestingly, I do think farangs can feel incredibly free and liberated in Thailand, because we don't fit into the very rigid Thai hierarchy at all. Not sure how free Thais really are though, but heh, we aren't Thai.

I agree the US is grim these days, a good time to get out.

Edited by Jingthing

Good luck with whatever you go and do, Thailand is certainly not for everyone ..

Absolutely true. Thailand isn't for everyone. One must find where they belong to and happy with. Abviously you have found Thailand is not for you and get on going back home where you feel your choices/chances there. Wish you luck. I am happy to hear one said they know what they want and don't just stuck in a place or doing something hoping thing will get better and it won't. Come back to Thailand for vacation! it's better that way. Don't just leave LOS for good. We still have lots to offer! :o

Edited by legag

My wife and I are on our way out as well. Our son will be born here in January and then things will get in motion. This means we will leave a life of semi-retirement, at 44 and 36, and go back to work, for him.

I've absolutely no desire to see our child go through the education system here when we can offer him a better future and quality of life in my home country. My Thai wife, a university graduate, feels the same about the education system here and the ever present incompetence tolerated in workplaces.

Road safety. Non-existent. Sending a child to school in that traffic 10 times a week? No way, even if I was to drive him there myself. I used to enjoy driving all over Canada, the U.S., now I find myself staying at home because driving here wears me out, I get very frustrated and it messes me up for days.

Some may me able to live with all the window dressing, the superficiality, ridiculous immigration rules that differ from officer to officer/ office to office, work restrictions, ownership rules, crooked police force, cardboard box and shopping cart blocked alleys at Tesco's, smelly sewer systems that invade your house, bad customer service, the nose picking, crazy truck/bus/car/motorcycle drivers making their own laws, corruption, hearing "farang" many times every day, a plague of soi dogs , bad internet service, phone line out of service because of constant billing errors with surcharges for reconnection, service centers that hand you back a car with "no charge" :o and then catches on fire and an empty gas tank that was 3/4 full when brought in, people jumping queue like cavemen, political instability, bomb threats, guns everywhere (you just don't see them), people in high positions for who they know not what they know, picking up garbage and plastic bags blown in my yard by the wind, water shortage, power outages, electrical death traps waiting for you everywhere, double pricing, an outdated ambulance/rescue service, non-existent or bribed city planners allowing stinky and noisy manufactures to build AFTER a residential area was set up, beaches littered with garbage, pollution. I can't, had more than enough and, yes, my Thai wife feels the same.

Now I don't mind going back to paying taxes and cold winters.

Edited by Tony Clifton

QUOTE(Tootah @ 2007-10-01 11:15:52) post_snapback.gifYep, decision time! After a few years here I have realised that Thailand and the ever stricter 'rules' and never ending stream of &lt;deleted&gt; from Immigration isnt for me anymore, in fact I am beginning to resent people with the xenophobia so I'm getting out while I still have my sanity, as I dont see things here getting any easier for some of us. Anyone else thinking about making the move 'back home' or somewhere else? If you are thinking about it, post your thoughts here, good or bad, speak your mind and dont worry about the farang rak thai crowd here!

Bye bye Thailand, thanks for the memories good and bad! :D

sorry..to hear that!! :o

i hope you will be happy in uk.

its your country..after all.

La Fin du Monde helps alleviate even the coldest of winters. :o

So does having a hot French-Canadian in your bed! :D

Yeah... all that hair is a good insulator. :D

La Fin du Monde helps alleviate even the coldest of winters. :o

So does having a hot French-Canadian in your bed! :D

Yeah... all that hair is a good insulator. :D

that is perhaps the funniest thing you have ever said, more so because it is so true.

though i am willing to see it proved wrong

Edited by t.s