Do You Live Outside Thailand In Se Asia?

cdnvic

Where are you?  

432 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the Lao PDR (can we at least get that name right?) :D because one, I want to and two, because my lovely wife is from here. Yes it's got it's downsides but they are completely outweighed by the ups. We gave it a try in the UK - but it just wasn't for either of us!

Not much else too add really! :D Enjoying semi-retirement at the grand old age of 33 . . . :D

Plans are a foot to actually make something out of my stay here so it may become fully permanent completely with residency if all goes well! :D

Even then I'll be managing and sitting back watching the money coming in! :D

Retire in Laos ? what does that take ? $500 a month ? :)

hmmm 9 users so far who don't live in Thailand! :)

I know there was at least one other person who lived in Lao as they replied to a topic of mine sometime ago!

I'm moving to Lao from Chiangmai in one months time... I'm a musician artist type. -will start in Vientienne and head north by bike, not sure where I'll eventually stay, but definately will give Lao a good try - i love it there

Hi! Your comment regarding the bike really got my attention. Will you be taking your bike from Thailand over to Lao(s)? I am playing with the idea of taking a motor bike from Thailand to Lao(s)... how difficult (paperwise) is that? Can you give me any info regarding this? After that I want to take it from Lao(s) to Vietnam, up into China, Mongolia,.... etc. Many people have claimed this is very difficult (lots of paperwork, etc.) but they haven't actually done anything like this themselves. I assume a moderate "monetary" gift for the officials at the boarder would take care of this problem...

• 2 months later...
Just curious where the members from the region are from?

:o Might have to keep the poll open a long time to get many votes from Burma. If you add Myanmar maybe you will get a few responses much quicker.

When a free country decides to change it's name I'll accept it. Until then, myanmar is just a slave name IMO.

Wrong, Burma and Rangoon are the colonial names given by the British. The word Burma comes from the name Bamar which represents only one ethnic group amongst many living in the country.

Both Myanmar and Yangon are historically (i.e. pre-colonial) more accurate names. Burma is in fact far closer to being the slave name that you wish to avoid!

:D Might have to keep the poll open a long time to get many votes from Burma. If you add Myanmar maybe you will get a few responses much quicker.

When a free country decides to change it's name I'll accept it. Until then, myanmar is just a slave name IMO.

:o You know I'm with you 100%. My tongue in cheek reply refers to the fact that the people who would respond to the name Burma have been cut off from the internet while the despicable bunch running "Myanmar" still have access.

I,m signed up,

Its Burma!....and always will be as long as I can speak.

• 3 weeks later...

Although 40,000 is not huge if it killed 1 whale, 1 piece of corral or 1 fish its bad.

Living in Hong Kong. Have done for 17 years. Tax rate and salary is generally more favourable than the UK but Im 20mind from the beach, have a culinary empire of choice to eat and better holiday destinations . . the Hongkonger

Can we add Hong Kong to the poll???

I've been living in HK for nearly seven years and well what a great and vibrant city it is. You can get anything you want from any country, excellent public transportation, honest government........

I would say the worst thing about HK is the pollution and the property prices ( rent / sell ).

• 1 month later...

I have many friends with older children in the state schools and the pressure on them is phenomenal and their schedules are enough to make me (a multitasking British Entrepreneur and Mother) fold up into a ball and cry!!

Yet the end results are kids who can pass exams but not think outside of the box. I recently conducted interviews seeking potential employees for a high paid position and out of the 20 odd I interviewed I found the most outstanding academic achievements yet they lacked that flair, passion, drive and innovation that is frequently met with young grads from the West. :o

This pressure does not end in schools and universities of Singapore, but also in the civil service and government-linked companies. And if you think outside the box, you will be treated as an outcast with a bleak future.

I live mainly in AUS, but over last 5 or so years have spent much time in "LOS". Now totally disenchanted, looking into Malaysia as their govt. welcomes retirees with a special programme. While at it, I will look at VN, though visas are not easy for long-term so I have discovered,but SEA is where I would like to be, as I love the climate, and which country is not so important any more as distance is small between them all. This is not to say that I don't have an excellent life in my own country, just lacks purpose.

:rolleyes: