Greenhouses?

dsys

We sold 4 rai of rice paddy to a neighbour last month. Since he bought the land a series of large(ish) green houses has been constructed. Very well constructed with humitity contorl - the works. Now the village is buzzing about waht he is going to grow but he wont let on.

I was a bit puzzled to see green houses in Thailand, what can you grow that would justify the obvioulsy large investment he is putting into the project.

The neighbour is Thai.

What do you mean by "greenhouse"?...do you mean a building which is glass or plastic covering 100% of the walls and roof?....or do you mean a glass/pastic roof with open or net walls?...or something else. Can you post a picture or three?

Chownah

What do you mean by "greenhouse"?...do you mean a building which is glass or plastic covering 100% of the walls and roof?....or do you mean a glass/pastic roof with open or net walls?...or something else. Can you post a picture or three?

Chownah

Sorry I should have said. The buildings are about the size of our smallest pig barn (11.5m x 36m), Metal framed full glass walls and roofs, roof openings, a ventilation system - fans like in an evap house, a sprinkler system, darkened PVC sheeting is on electric rollers that opens and closes to obscure the roof. Thats all I see from where I am. I guessing each "greenhouse" cost close to 0.5M if not more.

Will try and post some photos.

Edited by dsys

Chownah

Sorry I should have said. The buildings are about the size of our smallest pig barn (11.5m x 36m), Metal framed full glass walls and roofs, roof openings, a ventilation system - fans like in an evap house, a sprinkler system, darkened PVC sheeting is on electric rollers that opens and closes to obscure the roof. Thats all I see from where I am. I guessing each "greenhouse" cost close to 0.5M if not more.

Will try and post some photos.

are you by any chance located near the golden triangle ? then I can tell you what they grow :o

Strange...I'll be interested in hearing what they grow in it...I can't see why the walls would be enclosed except for precise climate controls....hmmmmm...I doubt that they will be growing poppies as has been hinted.....let us know what shakes.

Chownah

Strange...I'll be interested in hearing what they grow in it...I can't see why the walls would be enclosed except for precise climate controls....hmmmmm...I doubt that they will be growing poppies as has been hinted.....let us know what shakes.

Chownah

Nah, I think they would grow poppies out in the open in large fields. I'd guess that maybe we'll see a comeback of the infamous "Thai sticks" on the market soon.

rgds

My Thai wife says they are fairly common. They grow the more exotic organic vegetables and plants that are difficult to grow out in the open because of insects and disease. How do I describe exotic? I don't know. She didn't actually say exotic, she said special.

My Thai wife says they are fairly common. They grow the more exotic organic vegetables and plants that are difficult to grow out in the open because of insects and disease. How do I describe exotic? I don't know. She didn't actually say exotic, she said special.

The houses I've seen for this have net walls and glass/plastic roofs. The roofs are to keep the rain off and the net walls are to give adequate ventilation, keep the insects out, and to reduce the cost of the building since netting is cheaper than glass and lasts longer than plastic...I think.

The only reasons to have glass/plastic walls that I can think of is to exclude microorganism or to maintain a strict climate control protocol.

Chownah

The houses I've seen for this have net walls and glass/plastic roofs.

Same here .

So today three HGV's turned up with refrigerated sea freight continers and dumped them on the site. Containers were empty - probably for storage.

I'm starting to think along the lines of orchids as well now. Who in their right mind would farm orchids a good two hours from CR airport though?

(starting to feel like a right old gossiping house wife)

The houses I've seen for this have net walls and glass/plastic roofs.

Same here .

So today three HGV's turned up with refrigerated sea freight continers and dumped them on the site. Containers were empty - probably for storage.

I'm starting to think along the lines of orchids as well now. Who in their right mind would farm orchids a good two hours from CR airport though?

(starting to feel like a right old gossiping house wife)

Hi,

Any chance of a map so we can find the place. If they are doing Orchids we'd like to go have a look and see if they have any varieties that we don't have...then maybe we could buy from them for our place here in Chiang Khong.

Cheers,

David