Indian Food

FarangNoi21

where to get cheap but good indian food in bangkok? i usually get my fix at the emporium but its pretty expensive.

Little India across from the Shangri-La is very good.

Did you actually take a picture of your meal??

Or do you own the restaurant?

I took a photo of it last night. No, I don't own any restaurants. But I live near it.

• 2 years later...

Just had a cheap Indian meal for 120 baht at Mrs. Balbir's in the Top's Supermarket food court. Wasn't bad for the price and altho' it was a bit spicy for my taste. Included naan, buttered chicken, some kind of dahl and a dish made with Indian cheese along with a crispy wafer. It actually was quite filling and enough to satisfy my Indian fix for a while. Definitely worth a try! Besides, the food court is getting busy again and the only available seats were by Mrs. Balbir's...

Next time plan to try the veggie set for 100 baht. Looks even better than the regular set.

Edited by mauiguy90

Actually tried the British style Indian Curries in The Crossbar at the weekend. The Chicken Balti and Chicken Madras were both very good. Generous portions served with roti, rice and poppadoms for 240 baht. I think they also do a Rogan Josh and a Vindaloo as well.

Actually tried the British style Indian Curries in The Crossbar at the weekend. The Chicken Balti and Chicken Madras were both very good. Generous portions served with roti, rice and poppadoms for 240 baht. I think they also do a Rogan Josh and a Vindaloo as well.

Where is that place toad, is it the one on the bridge road? I'm suspecting that youve been up to no good, just lately?

Where is that place toad, is it the one on the bridge road? I'm suspecting that youve been up to no good, just lately?

Nah mate, The Crossbar is in Bangkok - which is where I have been for previous 4 days. Off to Singapore in the morning, some great places there for Indian food. :)

Nah mate, The Crossbar is in Bangkok - which is where I have been for previous 4 days. Off to Singapore in the morning, some great places there for Indian food. :D

Too right......mmmm indian food :)

• 1 year later...

Must add to this, as an ex 'merikan appreciater of fine vegetarian Indian food (they have non veg too), having tried most of the Sukhumvit places, I can highly recommend the spacious 'Greater Mumbai Punjab' on Soi 13 in the Trendy bldg (it was earlier across the street in Sukhumvit Suites).

They have a daily lavish buffet, but some unusual specialty dishes not found in other similar restaurants (try the crispy Okra or Bitter Gourd!). They stay open late as well!

Easier on the wallet, if ur alone or want to try a greater variety, they will make half portions of most anything also. Judging by the large groups of traveling Indians that head there, it is quite popular already. Unlike most of the places in this neighborhood, the cooks are real high class Indian & not Bangladeshi or Nepali. They do deliver & take-away too. Don't take my word for it, try & see!

Litlle India has heaps of restaurants, veg, non-veg, North and South Indian. Little India is at the end of Chinatown, At the end of Thanon Yaowarat. In Chakrapetch Road,Wangburapha, 10200. Most of the restaurants are on the left hand side of the road, between the road and a klong.Explore -seek and ye shall find. Varied prices and quality . 99.99% of their customers are Indian, Rare to see Farang eating there.

For those wishing to cook their own curries ,the best place for ALL your ingredients , is :: Nina Sachdev, 329 Soi Protoleck (near Gurdwara),Chakraphet Road, Pranakorn, Bangkok 10200. This shop stocks ALL Indian ,That is imported Foodstuffs, from India. It sells to the Indian community in Bangkok.Very rare to find a farang in that shop. As a result , both prices and range of products are much better than elsewhere. Look for the new BIG Indian Emporium ( I think its name is Gurdwara), and it is in the little Soi ,opposite the Emporium. Telephone:)02 621 3053, mobile: 081 445 5736.Don't live in Bangkok?,m like me- she will do Mail order. I suggest one trip to her shop, to make sure ,you are getting what you Want. Excellent rangeof genuine Indian ingredients.

• 3 weeks later...

Litlle India has heaps of restaurants, veg, non-veg, North and South Indian. Little India is at the end of Chinatown, At the end of Thanon Yaowarat. In Chakrapetch Road,Wangburapha, 10200. Most of the restaurants are on the left hand side of the road, between the road and a klong.Explore -seek and ye shall find. Varied prices and quality . 99.99% of their customers are Indian, Rare to see Farang eating there.

Says a lot about the people frequenting these forums that this didn't turn up before page two :)

For anone looking for a fix near the Sukhumvit Area, I recommend New Bakharas. Not cheap, but they are a mark above the rest of the early Sukhumvit places in my opinion.

My friend used to tell me there is one at Khao San Road behind a famous night club. To be honest I forgot the name of the club. Does anyone know what Im talking about?

There are lots of Indian restaurants in Khao San Road and the nearby roads. Not sure which one you're friend is talking about though. If the bar you mean is Gullivers there are like half a dozen within a one minute walk. Many more in the area.

My friend used to tell me there is one at Khao San Road behind a famous night club. To be honest I forgot the name of the club. Does anyone know what Im talking about?

There are lots of Indian restaurants in Khao San Road and the nearby roads. Not sure which one you're friend is talking about though. If the bar you mean is Gullivers there are like half a dozen within a one minute walk. Many more in the area.

Yeah didn´t manage myself to narrow it down myself. Do you perhaps have a restaurant you can recommend at Khao San Road?

Maxme - wonder if you might be talking about royal India restaurant? They opened a branch in khao sarn (and in paragon mall) some years ago

But the best is still the one in phahurat. Been there for 30 yrs at least. And one of the best Indian food in town. It's actually number 1 for me. Been eating there since I was a kid. And still go there when I crave or have friends that want Indian. So far everyone I've taken have loved it

Cheers

Ps I should arrange a commission with them :)

Yeah didn´t manage myself to narrow it down myself. Do you perhaps have a restaurant you can recommend at Khao San Road?

roti mataba, its not exactly a restaurant but it does have limited seating inside and the food is really good and cheap....indian run too, its on thanon phra ahit

that street also has a little hole in the wall place that does some of the best thai food ive tasted in thailand....i rarely seen other foreigners there which was amazing considering the area.....the lemongrass chicken soup is outstanding

roti mataba, its not exactly a restaurant but it does have limited seating inside and the food is really good and cheap....indian run too, its on thanon phra ahit

that street also has a little hole in the wall place that does some of the best thai food ive tasted in thailand....i rarely seen other foreigners there which was amazing considering the area.....the lemongrass chicken soup is outstanding

Yeah I recomend Roti Mataba too. Really good roti, curries, and yellow rice . It's right across from the little park with a small fort on Phra Ahtit, near the corner. Really great prices, one of the best places to eat around.

Other Indian restaurants in the area I'm not really sure about, the one I used to eat closed. I've only eaten at a couple of the others.

Good Heavens!! Roti Mataba. I have been out of Bkk. for more than 12 years, now. I used to eat there regularly.Very cheap and good food. Yes, it is surprising so few Farang eat there .In all the time (years) I ate there , I was the only foreigner in the place. So, no change in the food?Over all those years?